Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

Does anyone know when new replacement steel will be available for these?

Easton's Dealer Website says they are expected 15 May, so dealers should have them shortly after that.

Only difference I notice between the two skates is that I noticed the right footbed is sliding back and forth. I'm talking about with the skate off I can stick my hand in there and with a little push the footbed moves from front to back. The left one doesn't. Is this the culprit? Suggestions?

Check the 2 innersoles to make sure that they are both the same size. There's no being able to slide mine even a millimeter. In fact, I have to unlace my skate down many eyelets and pull the tongue forward to take mine out and put them back in.

Is it possible they put different sized footbeds in? Maybe, as my skates came with one 96 inch lace and one 120 inch lace.

Only difference I notice between the two skates is that I noticed the right footbed is sliding back and forth. I'm talking about with the skate off I can stick my hand in there and with a little push the footbed moves from front to back. The left one doesn't. Is this the culprit? Suggestions?

I've got the same problem with the right skate. Might have to put in a size 6 footbed from one of my old skates.

It's so weird that all of a sudden it happened 1.5 months in. If my four is sliding up with footbed I guess my ankle isn't as locked in as I thought.

Took a look at my right footbed and it is actually shorter than the left one. Took the same size footbeds 5.5 not 6 from my Reeboks and put them in so far so good.

Edited by ace996

Finally finished trying out the demos and ended up buying them.

Went down from a 7.5D to a 7.0D and had one skate on them tonight. Reason I went down was because I gained too much length with the 7.5D post-bake; toes weren't grazing the end of the toe-cap, however the demo's fit exactly like my Vapors. Although I don't feel like I made the wrong decision, I'm hoping it'll be just another 5-6 times before I get these dialed in like I did with the demos (cross-fingers).

Tonight was pretty rough though with the new skates. Right instep was pinching, but nothing a little spot heat can't fix. Also since it was my first skate in a smaller size, felt like I was over my toes a lot more and stopping more on the front 3/4 of the blade. Lengthwise the fit is perfect, toes (big toe mostly) graze the end.

Two things, might be dumb:

Does anyone know if the raidus/length is the same for the 7.5/7?

Also another dumb question, what's recommended for spot-heating, LHS or hair-dryer? Should I also heat the heel at the same time as the in-step or it doesnt matter?

You can heat them up at home and work both spots at the same time.

The over the toes thing will go away, its the pitch. Took me a game or two to figure out the knee bend.

Has anybody tried to heat the heel to form and get a better ankle lock? Seeing if worked and any tips?

the video shows them spot heating with a heat gun, but that's it. I didn't know if you put them on right after and maybe how long you stay in them for.

Has anybody tried to heat the heel to form and get a better ankle lock? Seeing if worked and any tips?

the video shows them spot heating with a heat gun, but that's it. I didn't know if you put them on right after and maybe how long you stay in them for.

i'm wondering about this as well. i've been meaning to apply some heat there for some extra heel lock.

I don't have Makos, but what I've done with my Kors (similar principles at work, surely) is start with the boot off in order to point my heat gun at the inside of the boot as well as the outside, then after spot heating, put the boot on, apply a little more heat to the outside of the boot, then turn off the heat and tighten laces and use hand pressure to mold the boot around my problem ankle area.

You can heat them up at home and work both spots at the same time.

The over the toes thing will go away, its the pitch. Took me a game or two to figure out the knee bend.

I've always been a big believer in tailoring the skate to your skating style and not the other way around.

• Like 2

You can, but you might like the change. For the longest time I struggled to get the hang of the pitch on 705's. When I got around the extra volume in the boot for my 703 foot and got it to wrap, I wouldn't have changed a thing. Even on an 11' radius, I had quick starts and cross-overs. Going back to Tuuks felt ok, but it felt like going back to a mountain bike after riding a road bike with more aggressive geometry and "go" built into it altogether. I didn't have to retool my skating, but eventually my skating felt it had reached a level it never had before. I had good knee bend in Bauer's, on Tuuks, I was skating below the board height in 705's and I'm 6'3". Just saying, as a personal fan of that "aggressive" geometry, maybe give it some more time...again, it all comes back to what works with your body's sense of movement--how well you can predict what your equipment is doing for you.

I agree with you Chippa if I can summarize/tautolize "tailoring the skate to your skating style" as "not having to think about your skating." Sometimes there's a deeper level of that thoughtless freedom of movement after the body adjusts to a new geometry.

Edited by flip12

I've always been a big believer in tailoring the skate to your skating style and not the other way around.

I had a pair of Tuuks on standby; turns out I liked the small pitch increase.

By all means, try before you tinker. As long as it still feels natural, go with it. If you have to think about what you're doing after more than a few sessions then a particular pitch/radius setup probably isn't working.

any news on if Easton will be doing custom orders of the Mako?

Easton shut down their custom shop so no, no custom Makos. If you were in a custom in another model you should at least try the fit of the stock Mako. I have 2 customers who use to be in customs and the stock fit them fine.

Easton shut down their custom shop so no, no custom Makos. If you were in a custom in another model you should at least try the fit of the stock Mako. I have 2 customers who use to be in customs and the stock fit them fine.

do you know when replacement blades will start arriving at most LHS/ online stores?