Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

damn it.

:mad:

Tell me about it! I'm getting so many requests and can only fill them with steel I buy back from our goalie conversions. When I get a pair avail, it sells immediately. Easton better hurry up!

Tell me about it! I'm getting so many requests and can only fill them with steel I buy back from our goalie conversions. When I get a pair avail, it sells immediately. Easton better hurry up!

Im' considering switching out the holder/runner completely. The head of our beer league has a good relationship/discount with the LHS and basically told me to get whatever steel i want on him.

Frankly, the forward pitch isn't working for me. I like it, but i'm just not that much of a technical skater anymore at this age. Maybe moving to a regular TUUK with a normal pitch and the ability to have it worked on immediately at the LHS would be a better option.

Any opinions on this? Are the CXN/ES4 combo that much better?

Edited by DigiV

I'm thinking of switching out to a Tuuk LS2 as well. I've always skated on a +1 Forward Pitch, but the +3 on the CXN is too much for me. Plus, I've always just preferred the LS2.1 Steel. To each our own, really. If the skate isn't making you happy the way you skate, tailor it so it does. There's no point spending that kind of money on a skate if it didn't make you happy and maximize your performance as you've always had it.

The boot works just fine on LS2 holders. I didn't want to mess with what was working for me (LS2, 3mm heel lift, and titanium runners) and am glad I swapped out holders before ever skating in the Mako. This skate has a lot going for it in terms of comfort and performance.

Does anyone think it'd be worth going oversized LS2 holders with these skates? I know it's slightly off-topic, but what exactly do oversized holders affect? Turning Radius? Agility? Speed?

Im' considering switching out the holder/runner completely. The head of our beer league has a good relationship/discount with the LHS and basically told me to get whatever steel i want on him.

Frankly, the forward pitch isn't working for me. I like it, but i'm just not that much of a technical skater anymore at this age. Maybe moving to a regular TUUK with a normal pitch and the ability to have it worked on immediately at the LHS would be a better option.

Any opinions on this? Are the CXN/ES4 combo that much better?

Before switching out the holders, why don't you tinker with the profile of the steel or add lifts in the toes to counter the forward pitch. Both are cheaper options to new holders and steel.

Does anyone think it'd be worth going oversized LS2 holders with these skates? I know it's slightly off-topic, but what exactly do oversized holders affect? Turning Radius? Agility? Speed?

I wouldn't recommend it, oversized holders do not accomplish much if anything. When mounted forward of the toe, one will get a tiny bit power on pushes which is small increase in speed, but barely noticeable for most.

The boot works just fine on LS2 holders. I didn't want to mess with what was working for me (LS2, 3mm heel lift, and titanium runners) and am glad I swapped out holders before ever skating in the Mako. This skate has a lot going for it in terms of comfort and performance.

did the holes for the LS2 holders line up exactly with the CXN holder holes? or were new holes drilled in to the boot?

did the holes for the LS2 holders line up exactly with the CXN holder holes? or were new holes drilled in to the boot?

yes i need to know this as well

Before switching out the holders, why don't you tinker with the profile of the steel or add lifts in the toes to counter the forward pitch. Both are cheaper options to new holders and steel.

Yah, but so much blade has already been taken off the skate even more so would be if i keep trying to get it fixed. Plus, i'm getting the holder/steel for free.

I am wearing 8r in s17, 7d in mako, no way i could stick my foot in a 7.5r s17, length wise.

As a 'general' rule s17 were always shorter and fit 1/2 smaller, the mako on the other hand fits 1 1/2 smaller than your shoe size, just like any other easton skate after they dropped the 'R' and went for 'D'.

In stark contrast to your situation. I'm in a 9D Mako coming from a 9D Easton RS and 9D Easton S17. I find the length perfectly acceptable, no dead space in front of the toes.

There is plenty of lateral stiffness, your ankle is not going to roll over in these boots. Most of the people saying that they aren't stiff enough are judging that by squeezing the ankles and seeing that they come together more than something like an NXG or APX. They are seeing a design feature that allows the boot to flex forward and interpreting it as a lack of stiffness.

i used a pair for 4 days a week over a period of a month so thats 16 skates and 1.5 - 2hours each skate. The lateral stiffness is perfect and other the time period I used them it was fine. As with any skate it will start to break down. I had a pair of top end skates from another company and those only lasted me two months. With the boots now compared how they used to be I believe people are relying to much on stiffness and not enough on foot and ankle strength. Just my two cents. I prefered the MLX skate over the mako though

Edited by iceman8310

I am wearing 8r in s17, 7d in mako, no way i could stick my foot in a 7.5r s17, length wise.

As a 'general' rule s17 were always shorter and fit 1/2 smaller, the mako on the other hand fits 1 1/2 smaller than your shoe size, just like any other easton skate after they dropped the 'R' and went for 'D'.

Everyone's different. Like Ininew, I'm a straight 8 across my recent Easton skates. S15, S17, Mako.

Gotta try them on to know for sure.

How different is the fit overall compared to Stealth? Have you former stealth users been happy with Mako?

Fit is different, the Mako has a different concept of fit. Zero negative space, your entire foot is wrapped in the boot.

Best way to describe it is like wearing a snug running shoe.

In stark contrast to your situation. I'm in a 9D Mako coming from a 9D Easton RS and 9D Easton S17. I find the length perfectly acceptable, no dead space in front of the toes.

Its not only me, it was not a secret that the s17 fit smaller than other skates including the rs and mako, there are numerous threads here and other websites where a lot of people claim that they fit 1/2 a size smaller, just as some like you claim they fit 1-1/2 and close to a rs/mako fit length wise. Icewarehouse and other retailers suggested that they fit small too and to order 1/2 smaller. Obviously the best thing would be to try them if possible.

By smaller i mean compared to your dress shoe.

Edited by icewalker_bg

Jimmy did the install and can best answer this, but it looks (to me) like they lined up perfectly.