Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Krev

Easton Mako Skates

I put my superfeet into them, and it felt more comfortable standing up at home. But oh man did it make my feet hurt when skating. Went back to stock footbeds, no problem anymore. I'd give that a try, AfftonDad. You can also spot heat the arch (with the footbed out) and flatten it out with the handle of a screwdriver (see the Mako fitting tips video on youtube).

As for the tongue, the only issue I've had is on my left foot I have to adjust the tongue around the 2nd eyelet from the toecap every time i put my foot in, or it gets "rolled" and does this to my foot:

Cp1VVUht.png

Hasn't been a problem since I figured out what was causing the discomfort and know what to do when I put my skates on.

Edited by OptimusReim

First skate in them last night. Was okay for the most part. My right toe was KILLING me though. They're a tiny bit short, and need to break in some more. I made the stupid mistake of thinking cutting my toenails extra short would be a good idea. Yep, too short. Oops.
I might bake them again and toss them in the freezer like the Mako video showed.
The other thing I noticed is the deep V in the back of the boot where the tendon guard sits over actually digs into the back of my leg a bit. This morning I noticed I had quite the mark on my leg in that spot.
But at least it didn't feel like I was skating around with floppy boots like I used to. In fact, I felt pretty fast out there (as fast as a 230lb man can go). The forward pitch was awkward for the first while, but no big deal eventually. Perfect heel lock in both skates (the best I've ever experienced)

The only concern i have is the length, once again. And once again they were perfect after baking, and hell even perfect sitting down with my knees bent. But once I stand up, the forward pitch makes my foot slide forward. This is leading me to believe I havent tied them tight enough (I'm so used to all but the top 2-3 eyelets being loose because of issues with previous skates I've worn). My foot shouldnt slide forward, I wouldn't think.

The forward pitch might affect your balance or stability until you get used to it, but shouldn't change how the skate fits. After all, we are talking about what, 3mm? Also, if fitted right your foot shouldn't being moving forward. It really shouldn't being moving at all.

If after a few skates you are still having trouble adjusting to the pitch then you can contemplate having the blades profiled. I hope you can work out what ever issues you are having with the breaking in/adjustment period.

Unless you have a low volume fit you might be best to stay with the Mako footbeds.

I'm looking at getting new skates and I'm planning on trying on everything I can, but had a quick question regarding the Mako. From reading this thread I can tell that they mold really well to each persons foot, my question is this, is the boot more suited to a certain foot shape, or is the fact it bakes and molds so well negate the idea of fitting a specific foot shape?

You can't change the shape of a boot but the molding ability helps with the various crevices and intricacies of a persons foot. I'd imagine if you need incredibly wide skates like a nexus you wouldn't really be able to mold these to fit your foot that well. Someone coming from supremes or vapors have a better chance of fitting into the skate.

Gotta just try them.

Edited by DigiV

Maybe your feet just aren't meant to go in hockey skates?

lol. Like I said, it's fine, The tongue just kind of bunches up when I put my foot in unless I straighten it out.

Also, if fitted right your foot shouldn't being moving forward. It really shouldn't being moving at all.

I concur. I'm going to make sure the laces are more snug next time.

I'm looking at getting new skates and I'm planning on trying on everything I can, but had a quick question regarding the Mako. From reading this thread I can tell that they mold really well to each persons foot, my question is this, is the boot more suited to a certain foot shape, or is the fact it bakes and molds so well negate the idea of fitting a specific foot shape?

You can't change the shape of a boot but the molding ability helps with the various crevices and intricacies of a persons foot. I'd imagine if you need incredibly wide skates like a nexus you wouldn't really be able to mold these to fit your foot that well. Someone coming from supremes or vapors have a better chance of fitting into the skate.

Gotta just try them.

I figured that would be the case, I appreciate the help.

Gotta just try them.

If you have wide feet then the Mako in E width would be appropriate. A D won't expand to E. One of the skaters at the Mako event had to use a D cause they didn't bring E's. Needless to say he was in extreme pain, even after baking..

The guy at the store said I have narrow feet... which is odd because I always liked wide skates (RBK 9E, Nexus 9D). But maybe that's why my fit has always been crap?

I thought the width of the makos would be a problem because of how tight they felt, but once I start skating and they heat up a bit and open up they feel great.

If you have wide feet then the Mako in E width would be appropriate. A D won't expand to E. One of the skaters at the Mako event had to use a D cause they didn't bring E's. Needless to say he was in extreme pain, even after baking..

Not to be contrarian, but I have a Bauer E foot. Supreme EE are too big and sloppy. Supreme Ds are too narrow and make my feet cramp. I have a pair of Tone E's from prostock that fit "ok".

I went with a Mako D to make sure they were snug enough. They fit well. The only issue I have is in the heel, which I have addressed in the thread several times.

So, in my experience, with a Supreme E foot, the Mako D works for me.

I'm interested in the Easton® Mako skate & I'm trying to find out proper sizing. My foot measures 11" from heel to toe and 4.25" width at their widest point. With that said, I'm considering purchasing a pair of 9.5 EE Makos from somebody. Would these fit my feet (unfortunately I can't try-on prior to purchasing) based on dimensions/measurements supplied? I've been in CCM Vector's previously, but they were too tight on one foot, so I switched to Reebok 7k in 10D for extra voulume & they're quite comfortable. I've read that the thermoforming characteristics of the Mako will wrap the foot like a glove & remove virtually all negative space. Suggestions, advice on this potential purchase? I'm quite excited about possibilty of what the Mako's could do for me. Thanks!

I'm interested in the Easton® Mako skate & I'm trying to find out proper sizing. My foot measures 11" from heel to toe and 4.25" width at their widest point. With that said, I'm considering purchasing a pair of 9.5 EE Makos from somebody. Would these fit my feet (unfortunately I can't try-on prior to purchasing) based on dimensions/measurements supplied? I've been in CCM Vector's previously, but they were too tight on one foot, so I switched to Reebok 7k in 10D for extra voulume & they're quite comfortable. I've read that the thermoforming characteristics of the Mako will wrap the foot like a glove & remove virtually all negative space. Suggestions, advice on this potential purchase? I'm quite excited about possibilty of what the Mako's could do for me. Thanks!

http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php/topic/61887-easton-mako-skates/page-32

You're in Mich and you can't find a place to try on a pair? These are not skates you can use any sizing guide or "advice' from anyone on a online board.

• Like 1

You're in Mich and you can't find a place to try on a pair? These are not skates you can use any sizing guide or "advice' from anyone on a online board.

This. If there was ever a model that required you to try them on, this would be it.

My foot is just a hair over 11" long and about 4.5" wide and I am in 9.5EE. You may in the same size, be able to wear the D or you may be able to drop to a 9. Only way to know for sure is to try them on.

I put my superfeet into them, and it felt more comfortable standing up at home. But oh man did it make my feet hurt when skating. Went back to stock footbeds, no problem anymore. I'd give that a try, AfftonDad. You can also spot heat the arch (with the footbed out) and flatten it out with the handle of a screwdriver (see the Mako fitting tips video on youtube).

As for the tongue, the only issue I've had is on my left foot I have to adjust the tongue around the 2nd eyelet from the toecap every time i put my foot in, or it gets "rolled" and does this to my foot:

Cp1VVUht.png

Hasn't been a problem since I figured out what was causing the discomfort and know what to do when I put my skates on.

That happened to me my first time using them. Hasn't been an issue since.

Not to be contrarian, but I have a Bauer E foot. Supreme EE are too big and sloppy. Supreme Ds are too narrow and make my feet cramp. I have a pair of Tone E's from prostock that fit "ok".

I went with a Mako D to make sure they were snug enough. They fit well. The only issue I have is in the heel, which I have addressed in the thread several times.

So, in my experience, with a Supreme E foot, the Mako D works for me.

TotalONE D is a true E.

I'm in northern MN, we have a limited selection of sporting goods stores, and unfortunately none carry Easton® skates.

TotalONE D is a true E.

OK, so, I'm a "true EE" then and weaking a Mako D. Not "recommending" it to anyone, but just presenting my experience. I don't think I need anymore width in these.

My foot is just a hair over 11" long and about 4.5" wide and I am in 9.5EE. You may in the same size, be able to wear the D or you may be able to drop to a 9. Only way to know for sure is to try them on.

As I mentioned previously, I've been in Reebok 10D which seem to fit my width pretty well. I've contacted someone about possibly purchasing their 9.5EE Makos & he says his foot measures just over 11 inches (heel to toe) long and a little under 4.5 inches wide. Based on that, I think my feet may fit a 9.5EE Mako alright. I've heard/read everywear that the Mako fits like a sock once baked to your foot & the energy/direction transfer from foot to skate is pretty much immediate.

D to E with is only 1/8" or so for most shoe sizes. I would still be concerned that the EE may be too wide for you.

I just got the Mako skates and was wondering about changing the appearance of them, Specifically the silver on the bottom and the orange. I saw earlier in this thread that someone used plasti dip on the silver part to make it black. I would like to make both the orange and silver black but I was wondering if spray paint/plasti dip/sharpie would void a warranty. I was planning to use black electrical tape. Any knowledge about those voiding a warranty will be much appreciated. I just want to know before I do anything so I can still have the warranty on them.

Youll be fine with plasti dip, since it can just be peeled off.

The other two options... probably not a good idea.

Would I be able to bake them with plasti dip on them?...

Would I be able to bake them with plasti dip on them?...

I would NOT do that. If you want to decorate them, do it after they are baked