Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IPv6Freely

Supplemental Discipline 2013

I thought there should be a thread for supplemental discipline for the season.

First of the season:

Brayden Schenn - 1 Game

Video: http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=195296

I personally don't agree with this one. While I fully agree that it was an illegal hit, and definitely charging, I don't think a suspension was warranted. A penalty, yes. Suspension, no. There was no penalty called on the hit.

I agree with it on the grounds of Schenn being a younger player and taking away his ice-time will smarten him up quicker than a fine or warning will. Also, it could've been alot worse and this will remind the players that Shanny is always watching

It looks like a textbook suspension example for them to start with -- time to avoid after the puck was passed, with no attempt to avoid, a substantial jump right at the head, with contact. I wouldn't be surprised if the magnitude of the jump made it a hit they didn't think they could let go.

Thanks for starting the topic, I didn't see the announcement today. Personally, I think it should have been at least three games. Then again, I'm a hard ass about those things. It's exactly the type of thing the league was trying to get out of the game before the lockout and it is good to see them following through on it this year. I only hope that every hit like this is punished, regardless of who it is that makes the hit.

Hard to see the initial impact, with the glass where it is, but it sure looks like, at the very least, a solid follow-through with the forearm, right through the chin.

There may have been some contact to the head, but I really don't think it's the principal point of contact. He left his feet slightly, but that seemed to be more from momentum than anything. He definitely did not jump into him. I think Stuart did everything he could to ensure it was a clean hit. I can't imagine supplemental discipline for this.

It's pretty obvious that Stuart was going for the head. No injury, so 50/50 on the possibility of a suspension. The head was the first point of contact, the arm was up and he guided it into the head, then followed through the head after impact. Stuart was off his feet before the minor amount of body to body contact that followed the head contact. He also covered a lot of ground to make that hit and that is supposed to be another criteria.I would like to see a minimum of three games, if there is a suspension it will likely only be one.

yes, I believe the rules state that it is a minimum of ten games for that type of act. However, i don't believe that he was given the appropriate match penalty during the game, so nothing will happen. Maybe the league throws one game at him, but I seriously doubt it.

Watched the clip about 10 times thinking "He didn't even touch him..." Hahahaha guess I should read the fine print and realize it was Hansen on the Canucks, not Clowe on the Sharks! In all seriousness though, it did look very deliberate and I think he should get one game for it. I'll take Chadd's word for it that the rule is a minimum ten games because I'm not sure of the rule, but I think that sounds a little harsh. I'd give him one game with a warning that if he does it again he'll be looking at something a little more drastic.

i just dont understand why he would shove the ref - does he have a previous history with that ref and doesn't like him?

It looked to me like he reacted with anger to Clowe's hand on his right biceps, and was oblivious to the presence of the ref.

As I recall, the league doesn't suspend for every contact with an official; they get bumped often. And I remember the player who punched an official in the face, and wasn't disciplined. The official was trying to break up a fight, and one of the punches, well off the mark, caught him.

It looked to me like he reacted with anger to Clowe's hand on his right biceps, and was oblivious to the presence of the ref.

As I recall, the league doesn't suspend for every contact with an official; they get bumped often. And I remember the player who punched an official in the face, and wasn't disciplined. The official was trying to break up a fight, and one of the punches, well off the mark, caught him.

There are several levels, this is the one that fits the best. That said, it was not assessed that way on the score sheet.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26328

40.3 Automatic Suspension – Category II - Any player who deliberately applies physical force to an official in any manner (excluding actions as set out in Category I), which physical force is applied without intent to injure, or who spits on an official,shall be automatically suspended for not less than ten (10) games.

The critical term "deliberately" appears, in my limited experience, to have generally been interpreted to describe the contact with the official. The phrasing is somewhat ambiguous, and could possibly be read to address a deliberate action, regardless of at whom it was directed or intended, that happens to contact an official. I recall some statutes that were read that way.

To clarify, it's the difference between swinging at the ref and hitting him, and swinging at you and hitting the ref. I'm sure they'll nail me on the former, but they don't seem to be punishing the latter.

Was there something on the score sheet that addressed this? It will be interesting to see if the league simply lets this pass without comment. Also, I'll be watching Fraser's TSN blog to see if he gets into it.

The critical term "deliberately" appears, in my limited experience, to have generally been interpreted to describe the contact with the official. The phrasing is somewhat ambiguous, and could possibly be read to address a deliberate action, regardless of at whom it was directed or intended, that happens to contact an official. I recall some statutes that were read that way.

To clarify, it's the difference between swinging at the ref and hitting him, and swinging at you and hitting the ref. I'm sure they'll nail me on the former, but they don't seem to be punishing the latter.

Was there something on the score sheet that addressed this? It will be interesting to see if the league simply lets this pass without comment. Also, I'll be watching Fraser's TSN blog to see if he gets into it.

My guess is that neither ref had a good look at it and Hansen said he was tied up with the other player when he made contact with the official. I believe the only penalties that were issued were matching minors for unsportsmanlike conduct.

I think this one is an easy suspension it's just a question of how many games..

Is Colin McDonald another one of those Trevor Gillies types that doesn't have any business being in the nhl? I don't know anything about him so i'm just wondering. Maybe he is a player on the bubble so he is just going around throwing big hits to try and make the team?

This is trevor gillies for anyone who doesnt remember

I'm not familiar with McDonald. I can't call that a hockey play -- no interest in the puck, just zooming in and shoving a guy's head into the glass. I am constantly amazed at how these guys don't seem to get the message, and at least try to disguise what they're doing.

That's the exact kind of hit that the league says time and time again is not legal. He had ALL the time in the world to know that Lovejoy was skating with his back towards McDonald the whole way. It's dangerous, it's careless, and people aren't going to learn until someone gets seriously, seriously hurt. Suspend him 10 games...he deserves every one of them.

I couldn't agree more, they can't give guys enough game for stuff like this. Guys will let up and allow the other guy to get in front of them on the forecheck, just so they can deliver a hit.

I couldn't agree more, they can't give guys enough game for stuff like this. Guys will let up and allow the other guy to get in front of them on the forecheck, just so they can deliver a hit.

That's EXACTLY what happened here. You can see him let up at the faceoff dot so Lovejoy spaces himself just enough for the hit to cause what could have been serious damage. Does anyone know if Lovejoy came back in the game? Since that seems to have a huge factor into any supplemental discipline.

As for McDonald, it doesn't look like he's a Gillies-type of player. Had a five-game stint WITH the Penguins last year, actually. Looks like he's just trying to make the team.

They'll wait for someone to get out on a stretcher... oh wait....

They need Ontario Hockey League like suspensions. The problem is that giving a player 20 games is hitting them in the wallet big time and it seems that the NHL is reluctant to hit the wallet too hard and may be why they do not hand out big suspensions except when they have no other choice but to do it. Suspend a guy for 10 games that makes him loose 500K and he may think twice about doing the same thing again. Make him lose 20 or 30K for a one game suspension and the incentive not to repeat just isn't as strong. Luckily, some players seem to learn even if takes them time to finally get out. Most notoriously is Matt Cooke who's not even a shadow of his old self. Suspensions don't seem to be what has calm him down as he got it good from his team mates and management so perhaps team management need to get involved with players who deliver such bonehead hits. If your GM tells you, do this one more time and you're out for the rest of the season, maybe, just maybe the player will think twice about repeating or doing it to begin with.

They'll wait for someone to get out on a stretcher... oh wait....

They need Ontario Hockey League like suspensions. The problem is that giving a player 20 games is hitting them in the wallet big time and it seems that the NHL is reluctant to hit the wallet too hard and may be why they do not hand out big suspensions except when they have no other choice but to do it. Suspend a guy for 10 games that makes him loose 500K and he may think twice about doing the same thing again. Make him lose 20 or 30K for a one game suspension and the incentive not to repeat just isn't as strong. Luckily, some players seem to learn even if takes them time to finally get out. Most notoriously is Matt Cooke who's not even a shadow of his old self. Suspensions don't seem to be what has calm him down as he got it good from his team mates and management so perhaps team management need to get involved with players who deliver such bonehead hits. If your GM tells you, do this one more time and you're out for the rest of the season, maybe, just maybe the player will think twice about repeating or doing it to begin with.

Funny, I remember them doing exactly that during the Lockout.