Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IPv6Freely

Supplemental Discipline 2013

I'll hope for something on Hansen's forearm to the back of Hossa's head. Stick in the air, so no possible attempt to play the puck. I'm wondering what exactly the league is briefing its refs about blindside hits to the head, when the penalty given was 2 minutes for roughing.

I'll hope for something on Hansen's forearm to the back of Hossa's head. Stick in the air, so no possible attempt to play the puck. I'm wondering what exactly the league is briefing its refs about blindside hits to the head, when the penalty given was 2 minutes for roughing.

I don't think the refs saw it, but it should be a significant suspension.

I was under the impression the two-minutes was for the scrum after the play...either way, ugly play, and agree with Chadd, should be a lengthy suspension. But I don't know if it will be because it doesn't seem like there were any really good angles of the play, at least so far.

That's terrible. It isn't like Hossa's a Slovakian Lindros, leading with his chin all over the ice. I know Hossa must be frustrating as hell to play against, as both a smart and an ox-strong player, but it's a little alarming the way guys seem to go after his scalp like this.

I hate to say it, but that's a classic dirty soccer play: ball in the air, two guys go up, and the one with lesser position throws an elbow. Thing is, they're not wearing giant armor plating, and they haven't been trained to use their upper bodies as weapons to quite the same extent.

It's obvious that certain guys are willing to continue trying to injure other guys, they are not afraid of being suspended. Not until they get a huge suspension, does the light seem to come on for them. It is well past time for suspensions for deliberate attempts to injure (and that's what a shot to the head really is) to result in serious, long term suspensions. Even if it is the first offense by that player.

The NHL web site says that Hansen is getting a hearing, but it doesn't mention whether it's telephone or in person. I don't recall if no mention means in person.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=656535

The announcement was made at 6:49am, and the hearing is scheduled for this afternoon. It seems that they didn't have to think about it before deciding to talk to him.

that means it won't be in person, so no more than five games. My guess is he only gets one, there was no stretcher involved.

I've been a fan of Hossa since his Ottawa days, so my main concern is that he's OK. I suspect he is, given the way he got up. He seemed shaken, but clear eyed, so I hope his staying out of the game was precautionary and following protocol.

I can't figure out what Hansen is doing there. I don't think of him as a cheap player and wonder if he was going up with one hand, almost like a basketball player reaching over another's back for a rebound. Problem is, on the way up he decides to go for a check, instead, and drills Hossa in the back of the head.

I live in Victoria. As far on the west coast as you can get and completely surrounded in Canuck fans, though I am by no means one. I actually am a Hawks/Pens fan, been that way since the late 80's as a lil kid.

As an astute hockey fan and 25 years as a player I must say people are way off in this. I know a lot of it stems from general dislike of a greasy team. I get it. But let's be objective here.

Do we really collectively think Hansen elbowed Hoss? Really??? You seriously don't have homer glasses on in saying that?

There was no run at him. No flagrancy, no premeditation. Split second reaction to Toews flipping the puck up and they both lunged at it. Hossa was somewaht turned and pulled back. Hansen reached up. This was NOT Keith's elbow last year. THAT was an elbow...

Kerry Fraser had a good piece on TSN today:

'Both Hansen and Hossa reacted to the approaching puck similar to a jump ball on the Bulls' homecourt in the United Center. Both players went up for the puck and in doing so, Hossa slid his body position to the right while Hansen moved to the left. Their focus and intent was gaining puck possession.

The movement of both players put them on a collision course as Hossa had the lead lane and the advantage to contact the puck first. From the back side position, Hansen would have to extend his reach over and past Hossa if he were to be successful in playing the puck. In real time and from a deficient position, Hansen's follow-through contacted the back of Hossa's head as both players moved toward one another and reached for the puck.'

I don't like seeing someone get hurt from a hit to the head. I really don't like seeing a guy get hit after returning from another head related incident. The fact he lay face down in the same spot that he was caught by the Torres hit sure hasn't helped.

But let's relax on this. Hansen isn't Kaleta/Cooke/Claude Lemieux. He isn't malicious. The fact it was a Canuck doing it raises anger and that's about the end of it.

If that play happened with a Grabovski or an Erat hitting Hossa, this isn't even a conversation.

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/kerry_fraser/?id=416432

I'm kind of surprised Bollig didn't go after Hansen a little more vigorously when he had the chance in that little dust up after there was a goalie coverup/whistle. I was thinking he was just going to drop his gloves and pummel away regardless of whether the ref was on him or not. Surprising discipline on his part.

I was also surprised at that.

And so was Bolland as he went running around hitting guys. Which, at that point, is fine by me. That interference call on him was bogus though. The ref just saw what him doing that was going to turn into and called a penalty. Glad Bollig stepped in after the Kruger hit and I also thought he was going to get murderous after that scrum.

That game also shouldn't have gone into OT. Oduya had no business trying to send that pass off his backhand in the neutral zone. Skate it forward and chip it into the offensive zone. Funny how guys tend to forget that the simple plays are often the best plays.

Got the 2 points. Tied the record. But at the expense of Hossa potentially having another concussion. Bum deal.

I agree on the bad play by Oduya.

I live in Victoria. As far on the west coast as you can get and completely surrounded in Canuck fans, though I am by no means one. I actually am a Hawks/Pens fan, been that way since the late 80's as a lil kid.

As an astute hockey fan and 25 years as a player I must say people are way off in this. I know a lot of it stems from general dislike of a greasy team. I get it. But let's be objective here.

Do we really collectively think Hansen elbowed Hoss? Really??? You seriously don't have homer glasses on in saying that?

There was no run at him. No flagrancy, no premeditation. Split second reaction to Toews flipping the puck up and they both lunged at it. Hossa was somewaht turned and pulled back. Hansen reached up. This was NOT Keith's elbow last year. THAT was an elbow...

Kerry Fraser had a good piece on TSN today:

'Both Hansen and Hossa reacted to the approaching puck similar to a jump ball on the Bulls' homecourt in the United Center. Both players went up for the puck and in doing so, Hossa slid his body position to the right while Hansen moved to the left. Their focus and intent was gaining puck possession.

The movement of both players put them on a collision course as Hossa had the lead lane and the advantage to contact the puck first. From the back side position, Hansen would have to extend his reach over and past Hossa if he were to be successful in playing the puck. In real time and from a deficient position, Hansen's follow-through contacted the back of Hossa's head as both players moved toward one another and reached for the puck.'

I don't like seeing someone get hurt from a hit to the head. I really don't like seeing a guy get hit after returning from another head related incident. The fact he lay face down in the same spot that he was caught by the Torres hit sure hasn't helped.

But let's relax on this. Hansen isn't Kaleta/Cooke/Claude Lemieux. He isn't malicious. The fact it was a Canuck doing it raises anger and that's about the end of it.

If that play happened with a Grabovski or an Erat hitting Hossa, this isn't even a conversation.

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/kerry_fraser/?id=416432

I can tell you that my opinion of the hit isn't colored by my being a Blackhawks fan, and I really don't care which team the hitter plays for. But it is likely influenced by my exasperation that hits to the head continue to knock players out of the game. I am just getting fed up.

I see that it's possible that Hansen could make a case that he was reaching for the puck. I don't know if it's true, and I can't say definitively that it's untrue. I don't know how he could get his hand to the puck without his elbow going through Hossa's head, the way he maneuvered his arm. It's his responsibilty, IMO, to avoid slamming his elbow into the back of someone's head, regardless of the situation. And I was surprised that, regardless of intent, the refs determined that it deserved just two minutes, after all the talk we hear from the NHL on blindside hits to the head.

I'm hoping to see some closer video than I saw last night. Whatever happens, it would be nice if Shanahan does his presentation on this.

I see that it's possible that Hansen could make a case that he was reaching for the puck. I don't know if it's true, and I can't say definitively that it's untrue. I don't know how he could get his hand to the puck without his elbow going through Hossa's head, the way he maneuvered his arm. It's his responsibilty, IMO, to avoid slamming his elbow into the back of someone's head, regardless of the situation. And I was surprised that, regardless of intent, the refs determined that it deserved just two minutes, after all the talk we hear from the NHL on blindside hits to the head.

It deserved 0 minutes. Headshot's are terrible, and often reckless or dirty plays to catch a guy who is passing you. Or coming in high with a hit. A headshot is sticking an appendage or shoulder out to impede a guy and catching him in the head. Not trying to grab/redirect the puck and play on.

He didn't skate into Hossa with his elbow raised. He lifted his arm to grab the puck at the same moment Hossa stopped and looked up to do the same. Hansen's momentum continued into the player inches away from him because the player inches away from him stopped his forward progression.

Like most plays, it happened in the blink of an eye. You can't avoid 'slamming' into the back of the head, face, whatever is instantly put in front of you.

Try it. Quickly lift your arm up from the keyboard right now. Now imagine doing that on the ice at that speed, with your closest competitor doing the same within a foot or two away and both travelling at a certain speed. Your instinct is to grab the object away from the person beside you. It's reactionary.

If Hossa was looking up at a high flyer and Hansen had the time to gauge and go in, pretending to be going for the puck with a cocked elbow, sure. But it was turn, eyes up, reach, swat puck, collide.

And faster than I could have typed that.

I've been a fan of Hossa since his Ottawa days, so my main concern is that he's OK. I suspect he is, given the way he got up. He seemed shaken, but clear eyed, so I hope his staying out of the game was precautionary and following protocol.

I can't figure out what Hansen is doing there. I don't think of him as a cheap player and wonder if he was going up with one hand, almost like a basketball player reaching over another's back for a rebound. Problem is, on the way up he decides to go for a check, instead, and drills Hossa in the back of the head.

If you keep an eye on Hansen then you will see plenty of sneaky dirty stuff in his game. I've seen him spear guys in scrums and the like.

Regardless of how you wish to characterize it, it was a blindside hit to the head, and I want to hold a player responsible for what he does with his arms. We'll just have to disagree.

I don't think I'm buying it, but I've heard one "analyst" mention the similarity to the Keith hit on one of the Sedins last year, implying a possible connection.

If you keep an eye on Hansen then you will see plenty of sneaky dirty stuff in his game. I've seen him spear guys in scrums and the like.

There are a lot of guys in the league like that. A number of them will be on display tonight on nbc sports.

i am a vancouver fan at heart, but hossa has been my favourite player ever since he started with ottawa, i dont think there was any intent on hansen's part. the puck is being flipped up in the air and he is trying to glove it down and accidentally hits hossa. its very rare when hansen plays that he even takes 1 hand off his stick. i always (95%) of the time see when hansen skating even at full speed he has 2 hands on his stick. i watch pretty much every canucks game, hansen is not dirty.

out of all of these posts i cant believe no one has interpreted that he was trying to catch the puck. i guess thats what he gets for being a canuck

I don't care if he's a Canuck or a Pilgrim, but I do get tired of ". . . us poor Canucks, everyone is against us".

I thought Shanahan made sense about the timing and the angle of the arm, and he's not the only one who's opined that Hansen changed his intent part way through the move. It may be right or wrong, but listen to what Shanahan says -- it's a valid point of view.