Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IPv6Freely

Supplemental Discipline 2013

The way he was holding his stick in his other hand should clearly indicate his intent. Once the puck came down it was in no position to play it. (btw I'm not a Hawks fan)

The way he was holding his stick in his other hand should clearly indicate his intent.

Disagree completely.

Anyway, 1 game seems about right.

The way he was holding his stick in his other hand should clearly indicate his intent. Once the puck came down it was in no position to play it. (btw I'm not a Hawks fan)

hes holding the middle of the stick with his right hand. thats where players put their right hand that shoot right. the puck is going to his left which is why his left hand is off the stick. i dont even expect the dirtiest of dirty players to just blatantly forearm people in the back of the head on purpose, especially having to take ur hand off the stick to do so. i do understand there are some unfortunate incidents that happen along the boards sometimes where people get caught in a bad position, and i think this is one of them

i do however agree with the suspension, although i thought it was just gonna be a fine. accidental or not, should be held responsible.

Blind side, principle point of contact is the head (no, it's not an elbow, but the principle point is still the head) and, the part that bothers me the most about it, had Tarasenko not turned like he did Olver appears to be completely prepared to drill him right in the numbers.

He turned a bit, and moved into the hit, but he still didn't have a chance to see it coming. Olver's got the responsibility to be careful, but really didn't have much chance to avoid it. I'll agree with Fraser that he decided to deliver a hit on a player in a vulnerable position, though he didn't expect that position to become so much more vulnerable.

I haven't seen any indication of a hearing yet.

Hall better be suspended for a long time for the hit on Clutterbuck tonight. That was bush league, I understand Clutterbuck does not get much respect but I believe anyone that dislikes him would love him if he were on their team. He goes hard and finishes checks. Hall showed no concern for the puck, who knows what is wrong with clutter bucks left side, could be hip, pelvis femur or knee.

I am beginning to think in situations ions where serious injury occurs, the player that committed the penalty sits out the same as the injured.

That was sick, and I am talking old school sick, disgusting.

I agree, I hope Hall gets thrown a bunch of games for that one. That was a total cheapshot and it really is tough to see what happened with Clutterbuck because they didn't really have the best angles, but I look forward to seeing what happens to Hall after that one. It really looked like an intent to injure, and I can't really see any case for Hall here at all, it was a cheap play and I hope for a long term suspension.

I had only read about this until seeing the above video. Puck's not there, leads with knee and extends it beyond the vertical plane defined by his hips. Hall should be out for 5-7 games. That makes most other questionable hits from this season look benign. Given that he doesn't have a bad rep, Clutterbuck has his own questionable reputation, and that Hall was already given a major in the game, I suspect it will be 2 or 3 games. That's a potential career-ender there, and I hope Shanahan treats it with the gravity it calls for.

On a side note, it looks like the point of contact is a fair bit up Clutterbuck's leg. It's not a classic knee on knee. Rather it is knee on thigh. I wonder if Clutterbuck has a fracture pelvis or femur instead of the more common ligament damage in the knee one sees on hits like this.

I just noted that the Edmonton Journal isn't even defending Hall. And take a look at the wildly extended knee from Hall in the photo at the bottom of the article: http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2013/02/21/should-taylor-hall-be-suspended-for-his-hit-on-cal-clutterbuck/

I had only read about this until seeing the above video. Puck's not there, leads with knee and extends it beyond the vertical plane defined by his hips. Hall should be out for 5-7 games. That makes most other questionable hits from this season look benign. Given that he doesn't have a bad rep, Clutterbuck has his own questionable reputation, and that Hall was already given a major in the game, I suspect it will be 2 or 3 games. That's a potential career-ender there, and I hope Shanahan treats it with the gravity it calls for.

On a side note, it looks like the point of contact is a fair bit up Clutterbuck's leg. It's not a classic knee on knee. Rather it is knee on thigh. I wonder if Clutterbuck has a fracture pelvis or femur instead of the more common ligament damage in the knee one sees on hits like this.

I just noted that the Edmonton Journal isn't even defending Hall. And take a look at the wildly extended knee from Hall in the photo at the bottom of the article: http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2013/02/21/should-taylor-hall-be-suspended-for-his-hit-on-cal-clutterbuck/

I don't agree that his knee is "wildly extended" in that photo. He's getting into position to deliver a hip check (that ultimately missed its mark). I expect 1 game, MAYBE two if Shanny is in a bad mood.

While I agree that he was looking to deliver a hip check, his knee did extend out. It was a dirty hit, absolutely. I think he gets three games. Wish it would be more though...no place for that.

That's the strangest lead in to a hip check I've ever seen. Hall's hips are nearly square to Clutterbuck's. For any credible attempt at a hip check, Hall's hips would have to be pivoted 90 degrees to the right from where they are in the photo. I've got no ill will toward Hall. In fact, I'm one of those perpetually disappointed hockey fans who enjoys watching Edmonton's young core develop and hopes that they can pull the team back into competitiveness. But, in this case, I hope Hall gets a substantial suspension. We don't need Darius Kasparaitus-type hits coming back into the game.

That's the strangest lead in to a hip check I've ever seen. Hall's hips are nearly square to Clutterbuck's. For any credible attempt at a hip check, Hall's hips would have to be pivoted 90 degrees to the right from where they are in the photo. I've got no ill will toward Hall. In fact, I'm one of those perpetually disappointed hockey fans who enjoys watching Edmonton's young core develop and hopes that they can pull the team back into competitiveness. But, in this case, I hope Hall gets a substantial suspension. We don't need Darius Kasparaitus-type hits coming back into the game.

The problem is, he is trying to deliver a hip check...its just that today, no one knows how to deliver a proper hip check. Its a lost art.

First of all, Clutterbuck has done much worse to other people without being suspended.

As for this hit:

The puck was there and either Clutterbuck tipped it or it bounced over his stick when he tried to play it and the hit was made before anyone else had possession and control of the puck. Therefore it isn't interference, it is somewhat late as Hall knew he no longer had the puck, though that doesn't seem to matter most of the time anymore. If Hall had gone through the body, he likely would have contacted the head and potentially been subject to discipline for that. I believe he wanted to get a piece of Clutterbuck and tried to do it in a way that wouldn't result in a suspension. When you play the game in the way that Clutterbuck does, trying to agitate players on the other team, guys are going to want to get a piece of you when they can. I think this is simply the case of someone trying to put a hit on an agitator when the opportunity presented itself. I don't think a suspension is warranted but I would not be surprised to see a game or two given to Hall.

Interesting that Hall adjusted his angle and body position for the hit after Clutterbuck lost the puck. It looks like interference that is normally allowed as "finishing his check". I think the obvious intent is hip check. I'm curious as to the nature of the injury, and what Shanahan will make of this.

Hearing this afternoon.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=656894

Interesting that Hall adjusted his angle and body position for the hit after Clutterbuck lost the puck. It looks like interference that is normally allowed as "finishing his check". I think the obvious intent is hip check. I'm curious as to the nature of the injury, and what Shanahan will make of this.

Hearing this afternoon.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=656894

Given the league's lack of consistency and alleged focus on head shots, this will be a longer suspension than Hansen's.

I HATE Announcers who start screaming "Dirty Hit" right away...and do the "...the League is gonna want to look at this..." bs.

Call what happened. Don't speculate. Because more often then not...they backtrack when they see the slow motion.

A few more data points on the Hall/Clutterbuck hit:

1. Despite his reputation, Clutterbuck has never been given a major or game misconduct penalty in his NHL career. That was very surprising to me.

2. The hearing is by phone, so all signs point to a wrist slap if any additional discipline at all.

3. A defense of Hall's hit by a writer at the Edmonton Journal who concedes that it was dirty:

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2013/02/22/why-i-am-ok-with-taylor-halls-hit-on-cal-clutterbuck/

This looked like a suicide pass gone wrong. Clutterbuck never had control of that puck but did try to accept the pass/clearing attempt or whatever it was. He had his head turned and down so I think it could be argued that Hall recognized the situation Clutterbuck put himself in and Hall tried to "lessen" the blow by adopting a lower stance. I don't think any player in its right mind would ever consider sticking the knee out for a check when we all know that there is pretty much just as much chance for the hitter to be injured as there is for the guy getting hit to be seriously injured. But we're not in Taylor Hall's head and no one but him know exactly what his intent was. Depending on the injury, I think that Hall will get a 3 or 4 game suspension just because it looked pretty bad. But the again, with the lack of consistency who knows how Shannahan will rule on this hit.

I've been happy with Shanahan so far this year for the most part. I think he's been pretty consistant.

I really dont think Hall should get much. It was clearly an attempt at a hip check, albeit a sloppy one. Maybe not even a true "hip check", but rather, as Chadd said, just trying to get a piece of him without making head contact. He missed, shit happens. If anything he'll get a game and be told "learn to hipcheck, noob" by Shanahan.

I really dont think Hall should get much. It was clearly an attempt at a hip check, albeit a sloppy one. Maybe not even a true "hip check", but rather, as Chadd said, just trying to get a piece of him without making head contact. He missed, shit happens. If anything he'll get a game and be told "learn to hipcheck, noob" by Shanahan.

These all sound like reasons for Hall to receive a decent suspension. The league doesn't want guys out there making sloppy hits on vulnerable guys, especially when all they can get is a piece of their knee or head.

I feel that, like high-sticking penalties, you should be responsible for your body's actions. You injured a player on a bad play: pay the price. Although intent needs be taken into account, the play was still made and the damage is done.