Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IPv6Freely

Supplemental Discipline 2013

It's another example of a referee making a call based on what he THINKS he saw. This happens at all levels unfortunately and Backes was yet another victim. As for the Erskine cheap shot, textbook on what not to do. Shanaban has to lay down a multi-game suspension.

Backes no supplemental discipline, and will also be appealing the match penalty so it's off his record. As he should, because that was a TERRIBLE call on the ice.

As expected, Backes match penalty has been rescinded by the NHL, per Pierre LeBrun.

I see that TSN has reported the Backes story, but there's nothing on nhl.com yet, though they have the Erskine story. At least they're doing the right thing, and quickly, on Backes.

It's another example of a referee making a call based on what he THINKS he saw. This happens at all levels unfortunately and Backes was yet another victim. As for the Erskine cheap shot, textbook on what not to do. Shanaban has to lay down a multi-game suspension.

No, he called what he saw. What he saw, was simply not the whole story. From his angle, it looked like head contact. It's unfortunate when it happens to you or your team, but it is far better than refs letting everything go because they didn't have an absolutely perfect view. His partner, or one of the linesman should have said something if they had a better angle on it. Unfortunately, you couldn't tell what exactly was hit until you saw the slow motion replay.

No, he called what he saw. What he saw, was simply not the whole story. From his angle, it looked like head contact. It's unfortunate when it happens to you or your team, but it is far better than refs letting everything go because they didn't have an absolutely perfect view. His partner, or one of the linesman should have said something if they had a better angle on it. Unfortunately, you couldn't tell what exactly was hit until you saw the slow motion replay.

If you can't tell, you shouldn't call it. If you asses a match, you better get it right.

If you can't tell, you shouldn't call it. If you asses a match, you better get it right.

Agreed 100%, especially about the match penalty part.

Then 95% of penalties don't get called. You wouldn't have any hooking when the stick is on the other side of the body, no holding along the boards when the hand is between the glass and the players. No head contact when you are anything other than right next to the play and can tell the exact point of contact.

As a referee you don't get six angles and four replays. I agree that the ref made an error, but from his angle just about everyone would have made the same call. There is no way you can see through the defenseman to see the point of impact. However, seeing that much head whip is generally an indicator of head contact.

Desjardins match should be rescinded today. It was a blind side hit to a guy with the puck in his skates, but no head contact.

After looking at the replays they showed, I found myself wanting another angle, and more slow-mo, to see that.

The announcer remarked that Jammer was holding his head after the hit, but my impression was that it was because his neck felt stiff.

After looking at the replays they showed, I found myself wanting another angle, and more slow-mo, to see that.

The announcer remarked that Jammer was holding his head after the hit, but my impression was that it was because his neck felt stiff.

I was stuck with the Sharks announcers through center ice and they were apoplectic that there was any penalty. They showed a view that made it obvious that no contact was made with the head.

I had Foley and Eddie, and they thought the hit was clean.

That's what I love about them, they're honest. Well, that and some of the things Pat has said over the years.

It certainly looks as though Dubinsky did not care enough to pay attention to what he was doing, the way he just skated away unconcernedly.

He got away with a $10K fine:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=654440

He should have been suspended. Are you supposed to skate balls out into the boards, simply because you have someone on your back? You have to stop, or at least slow significantly in order to play the puck.

Grabovski has a hearing scheduled for this afternoon for allegedly biting Max Pacioretty. Still no word on Colton Orr though. At least I haven't heard/read anything to that effect yet. Not sure he really attempted to knee Plekanec or if he was just going for the open ice destruction of Plekanec but he did seem to stick the knee out at the last second when he realized that Plekanec was getting out of the way to avoid the open ice hit. Knee or not, it would have been a dangerous play nonetheless.

I doubt Grabovski will get anything, especially if something as obvious as Burrows antics was skipped over. Maybe 1-2 games if they can somehow find an angle that they haven't shown on TV. All the replays I've seen just look like Pacioretty grabbing Grabovski.

Nothing will happen with Orr, it was much less of a big deal than people are making it out to be.