Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chrisehyoung

Hockey at work?

I work for a large college in the IT department and we play ball hockey every Tuesday and Thursday on our lunch hour in the gym. Anyone else lucky enough to play during work time?

For a bunch of computer guys the caliber of hockey is surprisingly good. Very fast and competitive to the point where our staff team is the intramural champions playing against teams of college students. We also have a work league for ice hockey that's been going for 41 years now. Yup, this is Canada.

Twice a week I try to make it to a stick time at a local rink. Usually one of about 2 or 3 people there....its nice to have half a sheet to yourself...

Every friday I play noon pick up hockey with a bunch of guys. I take an hour of vacation every friday :) ...We call it the NHL (Noon Hockey League) or sometimes the "welfare league", because if you can make it, you must not have a job!!!

Y'all are lucky you get an hour for lunch...

Noone says that when I am doing drawing review at 10pm because it HAS to be submitted the next day.

Funny how that works.

id love to, but outside of fitting in 18, then hitting the spa for a nice soak and some back work, I just dont think I could fit into some hockey, its already hectic as is.

My husband works at a DIII college and they have noon pick-up twice a week during the school year. The rink is on campus so they get a decent amount of employees. I got him into playing goalie and now he is really into it.

I play on my work team but no lunch breaks. But I work for the NHL so work is hockey? And we get a game a year on the islanders ice playing against the isles office. Does that count?

I play on my work team but no lunch breaks. But I work for the NHL so work is hockey? And we get a game a year on the islanders ice playing against the isles office. Does that count?

right on. you at the head office in NYC?

My office is probably a quarter mile from the rink, but unfortunately no mid-day pickup sessions exist (except during the Christmas holidays). I do occasionally hit a Thursday morning session before work.

We have ice pick-up hockey everywhere here. One arena does every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 11-1 and 2-4 for $8.75 a session. Another does every Wednesday and Thursday from 12-1:30 for $8. The first one allows Facebook sign ups and 90% of the time has a full 2 goalies and 20 skaters. They recently added 2 Saturday pickup sessions as well. They're doing very well with it.

We have ice pick-up hockey everywhere here. One arena does every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 11-1 and 2-4 for $8.75 a session. Another does every Wednesday and Thursday from 12-1:30 for $8. The first one allows Facebook sign ups and 90% of the time has a full 2 goalies and 20 skaters. They recently added 2 Saturday pickup sessions as well. They're doing very well with it.

Hey I'm from London too. Which arenas offer those ice times you speak of?

I work for a school board here and my supervisor is flexible about letting me work later one evening so that I can get off earlier the next day in time for a 4:30 ice time. I can also take hour lunch breaks (if I don't take my two fifteen-minute breaks) and could potentially get a game during that time.

Hey I'm from London too. Which arenas offer those ice times you speak of?

Check out Brookside Arena for the Mon, Wed, Fri morning and afternoon sessions. They go by London Sports Park on Facebook and communicate well that way. Western Fairgrounds Arena does Wednesday and Thursday. I just moved to London last year and i'm just finding all the hockey. I hear lots of good things about the JFFHL too.

We came close today, we were curling in the parking lot. The fact that we were doing it with cars was probably less than ideal.

Im on the "states payroll" right now(unemployment) and play dropin 1 or 2 times a week...does that count?

At one of the last pickups sessions a guy that was just laid off and came straight to hockey.

At one of the last pickups sessions a guy that was just laid off and came straight to hockey.

Thats funny Souldrive, one summer, I was working on a large industrial job site in Anchorage(out of town for me) and one of the Contractor's laborers was helping me do an inspection. At lunchtime, I decided to go skate the noon shinny at a rink across town. When I walked in that same guy was in the locker room getting his gear on, when I asked him how often he skated the noon shinny, he said "never, but I just got laid off so I figured I'd come play hockey!!"..

The corporate HQs for my employer is in between 2 rinks (about 10 mins each way). Unfortunately, I don't have the flexibility of overshooting my lunch break on a consistent basis. Stick time would be a nice way to get the body in motion. Desk jobs are one of worst things for the body.

Have the flexibility to skate at lunch and do so occasionally. Been difficult this time of year to make our early morning skates, or lunch skates while playing in leagues in the evenings. I guess it is a perk of running your own show, but as I continue to expand and branch out into new ventures free time becomes more sparse.

Not lucky enough to have a rink of any description near where I work or live . Work however has got a very smooth polished concrete indoor loading area which I've occasionally used on a night shift (when there's only 3 of us in the building) as a nice shot practice area . Does that count ?

I'm fortunate enough to play several times a week during work hours. It's military hockey, so sometimes it's games, practices, or pick-up.