Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OrrSmith

CCM Ultra Tack stick vs Warrior Dynasty HD1

Anyone tryout both these new sticks yet and have some feedback? I had two sons use QR1's last year and one of them wants to go back to a mid kick.

I haven't seen the Ultra Tacks on shelves around me yet, but I think regular Tacks would be a good buy as well. Don't know your son's preferences, but the DT1ST is on sale a lot of places now and is a kind of a hybrid mid-low kick and an excellent stick for the price. Last gen dynasty ax not a bad buy either. Depending on where you live you might be able to find some NXGs around too, but from what I've seen, the patterns and flexes are pretty picked over.

Sorry if not a direct answer to your question but I'm never going to pay full retail price unless there's a substantial improvement over the last gen stick. These few would be good options.

My oldest son actually had a Tacks stick last year but was getting frustrated with it after a couple months as he said it wasn't shooting true off the blade and also passes weren't accurate off the blade as well. Apparently the marketing for the Ultra Tacks stick suggests that it shoots true and accurate off the blade which has been strengthened.

I have an HD1, pop on it is pretty good but I haven't found the sweet spot to get a big kick out of the flex.

I have an HD1, pop on it is pretty good but I haven't found the sweet spot to get a big kick out of the flex.

+1 on that.

I shot an HD1 the other day and while it was not bad stick at all I was not surprised or overwhelmed by it. It was a good stick and anyone that can get one will be happy I just wasn't blown away. It wasn't stand out light and didn't give me that "oh wow that was nice" feeling

Has anyone used the Ultra Tacks then? With the ho-hum reviews on the HD1, I'm considering the CCM now. I don't need the big flex for clappers, but more of the pop and velocity on snappers/wristers, and especially quick, hard outlets. Any thoughts on which of these two is going to be best for me? I have a AX1LT now, and I'm pretty happy with it. The free-flex zone is nice because i cut about 1.5" off the stick, and it's the only one that gives me the full flex. The Tacks is 1" shorter so I won't have to cut and I'd still get the full flex. I wish I had a little more pop out of the Warrior though. Does the HD1 have more pop than the AX1LT? Does the Ultra Tacks pop more/less than the HD1?

I've used the Ultra Tacks (P29 in 85 flex) a couple times now. I love the smooth flex and good pop I get on my shots. The new P29 is now closer to the Bauer P92 but not quite as open at the toe. Overall, I have no complaints; good snappers, sizzling wristers and better than average slap shots. Durability will be something I will be watching however, so far no marks on the stick.

I've used the Ultra Tacks (P29 in 85 flex) a couple times now. I love the smooth flex and good pop I get on my shots. The new P29 is now closer to the Bauer P92 but not quite as open at the toe. Overall, I have no complaints; good snappers, sizzling wristers and better than average slap shots. Durability will be something I will be watching however, so far no marks on the stick.

Exactly what I was wanting to hear on that. I'll be looking forward towards your thoughts on the durability I held one in store and that blade is unbelievably light. That's what made me question the durability because believe me, I've been down that road with the nexus 1000 which I loved while they lasted. One last thing, anyone hear anything about the nexus 1n? Same flex point and wondering if it'd be worth waiting for.

Honestly, after what I've seen from the A6.0 from True, I need to throw that into the mix. Extremely light and balanced, puck feel is right up there with the Tacks/Nexus series.

I've used the Nexus 1000 and 8000. Liked both however I found the original Tacks a nicer shooting and feeling stick. From what I'm hearing from LHS guys that have tried the new Nexus stick, the new 1N should compete well against the Ultra Tacks stick.

I've used the Nexus 1000 and 8000. Liked both however I found the original Tacks a nicer shooting and feeling stick. From what I'm hearing from LHS guys that have tried the new Nexus stick, the new 1N should compete well against the Ultra Tacks stick.

I was just talking to someone at IW. They were saying that they felt the Tacks had a flex profile closer to a Nexus, but a little softer, yet quicker release. Because of the stiffened taper on the HD1, she thought it would play more like the Supreme line that is trying to get the kick into every shot.

Did you find the flex profile similar from the Tacks to Nexus? Was it closer to the 1000 or 8000?

I was just talking to someone at IW. They were saying that they felt the Tacks had a flex profile closer to a Nexus, but a little softer, yet quicker release. Because of the stiffened taper on the HD1, she thought it would play more like the Supreme line that is trying to get the kick into every shot.

Did you find the flex profile similar from the Tacks to Nexus? Was it closer to the 1000 or 8000?

I actually helped her out with that. Nexus and Ultra Tacks felt very similar in terms of release, I'd say the UT has a smoother and softer flex profile than Nexus. IMO, the HD1 feels like it has a more aggressive mid kick profile; reminiscent of the NXG or the HTX. I didn't get to use the 1000 much so my assessment is based off of my usage of the 8000.

Awesome! Thanks for your help on the chat and this post, Chase.

This is exactly the information I'm looking for. The 1000 was a little softer and smoother than the 8000 to me as well. So maybe the Tacks will feel like that, which was my favorite and best performing stick. If it's anything similar, I'll be a very happy camper. And thanks to CCM for shortening the 75 flex 1", so I can keep the all of the flex since I don't have to cut now.

I personally would stay away from True or the HD1. There has been a lot going around about horrible durability with the blades and I personally have seen a lot of True sticks breaking. I recommend the MX3, Nexus 8000 ahead of the Ultra Tacks stick but thats just me

So the pro shop was closed last night for inventory, and I'd like to get the stick ordered to get it in time for my next game.

What pattern in CCM is closest to a P88/W88? I didn't think there is an exact clone, so the lie is more important than the curve in my case. I looked at the pattern DB, but what it is saying is a clone (Tavares) is not listed as close by CCM, so I don't know if there was a change in the pattern.

I quess it won't be long until McDavid has his own curve pattern with CCM on the market. Does anyone know what pattern he uses? Also, CCM states that the P46 pattern is similar to the E28. I don't see it. I do like the Giroux pattern that Bauer brought out this year.

Pattern names do not equate to the what the player uses.

Yes I know. I was just asking if anyone knew what pattern McDavid uses and was wanting opinions on the P46 pattern being compared to the E28 pattern.

Yes I know. I was just asking if anyone knew what pattern McDavid uses and was wanting opinions on the P46 pattern being compared to the E28 pattern.

If you ask me, they're not similar at all. P46 is more of a mid curve, and doesn't have nearly as much curve as the P28 does. P46 would be closer to a P14.