Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Labrat198

Talking with Goalie between periods

I was wondering if any of the goalies on here could lend me their insight on what to say to my goalie between periods. I just started to captain a team for a beginner-intermediate league and have heard enough pep talks as a skater to give a 30-45 second chat to the skaters, but I have no idea what to do with the goalie during the 90 second break we take between periods. I feel awkward not saying something, especially if the game is not going well, but I have no idea what would be helpful.

It is just beer league, the only thing remotely like a pep talk you need is, "Beer doesn't care if we win or lose." However, if you feel like you have to be a little rah-rah, don't. Most goalies like to exist in their own little worlds. The most you ever need to give them is a stick slap on the pads and a "hang in there".

If you're down, let the goalie hear you say to the team, "OK guys, we need to clear the puck in front of our net. If Joe blocks the shot, we need to help him out and get the puck the heck out of there. If they get an odd-man breakaway, he gets the shooter. We take the pass recipient, and then clear the puck."

Edit: and if one gets through, NEVER blame the goalie even if its his fault. If its your fault they had an easy shot, tell him you're sorry!

"Suck"

I'm with Gummer. Don't say anything. Goalies know it's on them and accept it, winning or losing. They don't need a pep talk.

(Haha kidding, he meant "shutout")

Since I am quite frequently to blame for a missed assignment on the ice and our goalie (Jason) takes great joy in pointing this out during the break (Jason's a good buddy so it's all in good fun). At the end of the break, I tap his leg pads, give him a nod and tell J to "not fuck it up again or we'll pull him and go with 6 skaters!" Normally we both have a laugh but if J's having an off game, he may fire back with a line of his own. But that's just how I do it with my team. Your results may vary.

It is just beer league, the only thing remotely like a pep talk you need is, "Beer doesn't care if we win or lose." However, if you feel like you have to be a little rah-rah, don't. Most goalies like to exist in their own little worlds. The most you ever need to give them is a stick slap on the pads and a "hang in there".

good to know about the goalies.

We have a handful of players that have never played hockey before so I am usually just telling them what I see them doing well. It always helped me forget all the mistakes I made when someone mentioned the one thing I did well.

Personally I like when my defencemen pat my helmet and whisper sweet nothings in my ear while offering to buy me a drink . :ph34r:

A little encouragement now and then is pleasant. It depends on the goalie. :smile:

Personally I like when my defencemen pat my helmet and whisper sweet nothings in my ear while offering to buy me a drink . :ph34r:

A little encouragement now and then is pleasant. It depends on the goalie. :smile:

I just like the tap on the pads for encouragement. No need to say a word.

Keep in mind I am talking to adults brand new to hockey primarily and the last time I had an actual coach I was about a 1st year Bantam.

Any pearls of wisdom that I might be able to share with them to help our goalie out? I know to never pass in front of our own net and not to screen our goalie, but beyond that I don't have much knowledge.

Goalies can talk???

From what I have gathered here, no. :)

Keep in mind I am talking to adults brand new to hockey primarily and the last time I had an actual coach I was about a 1st year Bantam.

Any pearls of wisdom that I might be able to share with them to help our goalie out? I know to never pass in front of our own net and not to screen our goalie, but beyond that I don't have much knowledge.

From what I have gathered here, no. :)

Not just screens... If there's a shot from the point coming, focus your efforts on a) clearing the shot path and b) being ready to clear a rebound. GTFO of the way.

Most of the time and "I'm sorry" is appropriate to say to the goalie, as there is usually some sort of Defensive breakdown. That is, of course, assuming there is any D at all.

Honestly, I'm pretty vocal- I look at what the other goalie is doing right or wrong and push to give them tips to help offensively. Conversely, they tell me something I can improve on defensively. 

I enjoy the instant feedback, and my teammates are helping me get better in the process. Tonight, we won 8-1 with no skaters on our bench. We had 6(counting me). Most nights it's usually pretty competitive, with 1-2 goal differences. 

9 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

I skate straight to the other net. Don't talk to, or even look at, anyone. 

This is what my goalie does too. He doesnt even stop by the bench unless he has a suggestion for us. I leave him alone and just say we need to step up playing better defense in front of him.