Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lpgbackups

Outrageous stick prices

god damn.......is there gonna be an end to this?  the most expensive stick i ever saw was the S19 at $319 a couple years ago. 

the first stick to rock my conscience price wise was the $200 original synergy (kinda worth it when you think about it in hindsight).  and the $300 orange sicore...

but now this is getting ridiculous...common CCM.  you do make the best sticks on the market right now but please...

thats $379 after taxes:huh:

image.jpg

Top line sticks are expensive. They set the price and people still buy them. Luckily we live in an age where we have never had more choices. From flex profiles and blade charts, etc.  Sure the new stuff is expensive, but it will be discounted just like everything else at seasons end. 

Hockey is an addiction and manufacturers will exploit that. Spending $1000 on skates to play in the beer league or similar is logic defying, but I am sure it takes place every day. If someone make a stick costing 2 grand, I am pretty sure someone will buy it. So I can say "just do not buy it", but we all know it is a waste of breath.  You know who you are, you addicts :).

Just now, Kgbeast said:

Spending $1000 on skates to play in the beer league or similar is logic defying

This makes plenty of sense, in some cases. 

Nobody is forcing you to buy the latest and greatest, nothing wrong with buying 2 or 3 of last years top of the line model for the same price on clearance which most of the time perform just as well as the "new" sticks. 

14 minutes ago, Kgbeast said:

Hockey is an addiction and manufacturers will exploit that. Spending $1000 on skates to play in the beer league or similar is logic defying, but I am sure it takes place every day. If someone make a stick costing 2 grand, I am pretty sure someone will buy it. So I can say "just do not buy it", but we all know it is a waste of breath.  You know who you are, you addicts :).

I see this everywhere in Aus, D grade players who can barely skate with top of the line skates.

Players who can't even lift the puck with top of the line sticks, playing in a division where shots go 10MPH with top of the line protective equipment.

Generally skatingaround with random color laces and a tinted/mirrored visor

I'm guessing that price is in Canadian dollars since US websites are showing that stick at $299.  If anything that's a steal in Canadian dollars because of the recent weakness in the Canadian currency.  If you take US$299 and convert it at current foreign exchange rates of ~$1.31:$1 that would imply the stick should cost CAD$391.  If I could, I'd be better off in the US ordering at that price from Canada because my cost at CAD$329 is US$250 (I haven't bought anything from Canada for a while but I believe I'd be able to get VAT refunded).  Even if I had to pay the VAT for the full $379, I'd still save $10 and pay US$289.   If anything you're lucky the manufacturers haven't just priced things in USD and learned to utilize dynamic, real-time currency conversion like they do in a lot of other industries.  

Of course if none of that convinces you then just buy last years model like everyone else has said.  

7 hours ago, lpgbackups said:

i tried super hard to stop making those but manufacturers pricing keeps reaching new highs

And they will continue to do so as long as the public buys them. 

The prices are really a two fold problem.

1: companies aren't competing in terms of price. The bar is set and they follow, often raising price moving the bar even higher.

2: consumers are still buying them. 

So, focus on #2 and hope #1 eventually takes care of itself. I set a limit on what I will spend per stick and will not go beyond that. I have made an exception or two, but for the most part I have not spent more than $150 US on a stick and I always use a top of the line stick. For example, up until two weeks ago I had 5 sticks, Vapor X60, Supreme MX3, Nexus 8000LE & two CCM Tacks. With the exception of one of the Tacks sticks all were purchased for less then $150 US. 

You do have a choice...

I'v got a pretty solid arsenal of sticks right now that all had original MSRP's of 259.99- 299.99 within 12-18 months of me purchasing each for a fraction of that price. 

There's no need to spend 299.99 on a stick if you don't want to. 

There are certain companies I'd love to support because I truly believe they are innovative, and are truly trying to produce a quality stick.  However, I can't justify spending 299.99, when I can get that same stick for 110.00 a year or year and a half later. 

Manufacturers have been flooding the market with product for a long time, and the majority of it ends up sitting in warehouses, waiting for clearance sales. If you buy a current-year stick for full retail price, you're not doing it right. Here are your options, IMO:

1-Buy a previous gen stick on clearance

2-Buy a pro stock stick

3-Buy a used stick online (e.g. on the marketplace forum here)

Spoiler

4-[marketing plug]Buy a full custom stick from BASE for less than other brands' stock retail twigs[/marketing plug]

Revolution is no higher priced here in the US than the other 300.00 level sticks on the market (new easton, the 1x, true xcore9). as others have mentioned, no one is forced to spend 300 on a stick, you have plenty of options at just about any price point. ive been picking up clearance twigs once at the 260 level for 120 or less at clearance events/sales with relative ease.

Know what I love...at least for another year, team pricing.  Bought an EK15, EK60 & QRL Pro for $100 each....  Buy 'um 5 at a time and take one.  Pay more for my daughters sticks, can't bump jr sticks with them.

You just have to be patient and be willing to hunt ebay, clearance sales, forums etc. I remember a couple of years ago amazon sold coverts for $35 (I spent a lot that day!), last year I got a bunch of ax1's for $80 each and last month I got 20 apx sticks for $60 each. My rule is to never pay more than $100 for a stick and I've tried all the latest and greatest out there. You just have to be patient and put in the effort.

You just have to be patient and be willing to hunt ebay, clearance sales, forums etc. I remember a couple of years ago amazon sold coverts for $35 (I spent a lot that day!), last year I got a bunch of ax1's for $80 each and last month I got 20 apx sticks for $60 each. My rule is to never pay more than $100 for a stick and I've tried all the latest and greatest out there. You just have to be patient and put in the effort.