Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WaukeshaTG

Lace bite

I've never really had lace bite, but all of the sudden I'm dealing with it on both feet.  I got new skates a little less than a year ago and have been playing and coaching pretty consistently.  For some reason, of late, I'm getting bad bite to the point of real pain while playing.  I've messed around with tightness but to no avail.  I already stay pretty loose on the top two eyelets so I can flex my legs forwards, so I'm not really sure what else to try.  I'm thinking of moving back to waxed laces (which I've used for years, however the new skates had unwaxed and I simply kept them) and really ratcheting down my lower foot while keeping the top loose.  

Any thoughts as to why this may be happening 10 months into wearing these?  For reference, I'm wearing CCM Jetspeed Pro skates.  In the past, I've always been a CCM/RBK wearer, and prior to these skates I had Jetspeed 280s (no issues with those).  I also go over the tongue with my shin pads, but again I've been doing that for years.

Thanks!  

Sorry to hear you're dealing with lace bite. I've went through this myself after about a year in APX skates. My issue was due to lack of depth. While you've skated fine the past ten months, your foot may have reached a point where it can't take the constant irritation on the front of your foot. I'd avoid waxed laces, as the lack of give could make this worse.

I hate to say this, but you may want to take a look at a wider boot. I know skates are expensive, but considering something like a Nexus or Super Tacks boot may be the way to avoid lace bite. If you're wearing D size Jetspeed currently, you may want to take a look into EE in the same skates as a starting point. If you want to continue skating in your current boots in the short term, buy yourself bunga pads. This will alleviate some of the pressure until you can resolve the issue totally.

Moving from APX to Supreme skates was the only way to get ride of lace bite for me. I've been happy ever since. Hopefully if you move skates, you'll experience the same relief. It sucks to shell out more money, but it may be the only route.

Another potential cause for sudden lace bite after no problems can be if the tongue has broken down. I don't know how likely this is occur on both skates around the same time, but something to check.

32 minutes ago, kdwyer56 said:

You can always look online for skate bite pads because they do make them specifically for that.

Jumping off of this, it's irritated and its going to keep getting irritated every time you wear your skates.  Try to find some sort of gel pad to use.

Lace bite is caused by lack of volume, this is the sole reason. When the tongue starts to break down, the excessive pressure the laces exert on the tendon causes irritation and inflamation of the tendons sheaths. 

Don't buy a wider boot, for goodness sake why would you sacrifice heel lock and fit for more volume?

There are a number of solutions: 1: change your lacing pattern, sometimes works and sometimes works only until the tongue starts to break down further. 2: Get different laces like option B's (and tolerate the chirping but skate pain free). By widening the lace your reduce the pressure points on the tendon. 3: Buy a boot with a heel lock that works and more volume (good luck with that in retail now as it just isn't getting made anymore unless Graf come out with another line), custom is really the only way to go here. 4: Try something like bunga pads but I have had mixed results with this sort of solution, you have to take the pressure completely off the tendon, not just lessen it. 5: Make your own Forsberg pads - search this forum, I made my own (out of 1/2" pipe insulation)  and used these for many years before I tried the next 2 points. They do work but the hassle is you have to tape yourself up for each skate. 6: Use eyelet extenders, GreatSaves sell them or I can tell you how to make your own for about $20. This works and is most probably your best, hassle free option and it works across ALL skates. 7: Only lace up to the 4th eyelet down or, as I now do, don't lace up at all. Guaranteed to stop all lace bite forever. 

ps I was in apx2's and now in jetspeeds and know exactly what you are going through.

pps I forgot to list a change of tongue but often that can lead to less volume as aftermarket tongues can be thicker than the original. Also don't ignore the problem, it doesn't go away and if you don't do something about it it can turn chronic and keep you out of skates for a long time, if not permanently.

The only product that worked for me, and anyone else I've introduced to it, are Bunga Pads. A bit pricey but I've yet to hear of them not working. Simple yet very effective design.

Coming form APX skates originally, I TOTALLY agree with Vet88's post.  It really comes down to a depth/volume issue.

Once that tongue breaks down, your LACES is what are holding your upper foot in place..

Had terrible lace bite with S'15's. I got foam from a material store and cut it to provide a barrier between the tounge and my foot. Other guys I play with do the same thing, its cheap and it works. Hope this helps.

in my old skates i used lace bite pads from elite hockey. the H shape helped relieve pressure in low volume skates. 

http://www.thehockeyshop.com/gel-pad-elite-lacebite-velcro-34600.html

When I got new skates I bought a set of lace extenders because of how aggressively forward I skate. I haven't had any issues yet.

http://www.greatsaves.org/skate_lace_extenders.html

Before these two solutions I had crazy lace bite for years. You need a month or two of rest before the irritation goes away and can test if a new method actually works. 

Forsberg pads, is the real way to go. Problem is that once you got bite already, it will continue being a pain, until you get something that prevents any contact of anything with the bite area. Forsberg pads pretty much do that. Bunga pads work great to prevent bite when it just started, but not sure if they work once you already have it. You'd need to stay off skates for a month, then you should be ok with bunga pads. If you want to skate niw, make Forsberg pads, once you heal, switch to bungapads as they are easier to wear. I know replacing new skates is not on anyone list, the above is probably the next best thing. Perhaps later you can have tongue replaced to something "aftermarket", but I do not know much about that.

8 minutes ago, Kgbeast said:

Forsberg pads, is the real way to go. Problem is that once you got bite already, it will continue being a pain, until you get something that prevents any contact of anything with the bite area. Forsberg pads pretty much do that. Bunga pads work great to prevent bite when it just started, but not sure if they work once you already have it. You'd need to stay off skates for a month, then you should be ok with bunga pads. If you want to skate niw, make Forsberg pads, once you heal, switch to bungapads as they are easier to wear. I know replacing new skates is not on anyone list, the above is probably the next best thing. Perhaps later you can have tongue replaced to something "aftermarket", but I do not know much about that.

I haven't had lace bite since putting foam on the top of my foot. I actually don't wear them anymore and am still using Easton skates. My lace bite has heeled and haven't had it for years.

I ordered bunga pads, so i'll start there.  Anyone have a link to Forsberg pads (or a picture)?  I'm also going to look into changing the way I'm lacing them up as well.  Eyelet extenders sounds like the option should first options not work out.  I'm also going to start icing every night in order to heal up quicker, as well as take anti-inflammatorys this week.  On both feet I have marble sized bumps on the tendon where they rub, so try and expedite healing on those!  

Thank you all for the information!

On my old skates I attached strips of neoprene cut from an old wetsuit to the inside of my skate tongues.  This provided a softer and thicker cusion than lace bite inserts or bunga pads.  They take up space/reduce volumne in your skates though, and they had a "squishy" soft feeling that may not work for everyone.  

9 hours ago, WaukeshaTG said:

Anyone have a link to Forsberg pads (or a picture)?

After a quick look, I could not find much, but these pads are basically a home made device.

You'd get something like this from a hardware store

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-3-4-in-x-3-ft-Self-Stick-Polyethylene-Pipe-Insulation-4-Pack-PI12334PEPK4SS/205438316

then you cut a length of it enough to insert into your skate under the tongue so it covers the bite area while it stays in secure after you lace up. You'd then cut a hole in the "pad" for the bump to fit in in the right spot so once the "pad" is installed and secured under the tongue, the bite area is spaced out and protected from a full contact with the tongue.

the insulation for this should be soft, but not to soft so it actually creates the spacing.

I am sure if you spend sometime looking, you find it. There was quite a bit about those in this forum as well. Perhaps, I am not spelling the name right.

Alternatively, you probably would get pretty good result if you cut holes in the bunga pads, but that is probably, would be pretty unappealing to do.

On 7/28/2017 at 7:05 AM, WaukeshaTG said:

I ordered bunga pads, so i'll start there.  Anyone have a link to Forsberg pads (or a picture)?  I'm also going to look into changing the way I'm lacing them up as well.  Eyelet extenders sounds like the option should first options not work out.  I'm also going to start icing every night in order to heal up quicker, as well as take anti-inflammatorys this week.  On both feet I have marble sized bumps on the tendon where they rub, so try and expedite healing on those!  

It depends on how bad your lace bite and volume issue is. If it is sever then bunga pads are going to do bugger all. They help to reduce the pressure on the tendon ie can help to prevent lace bite if you are borderline with volume. Whereas Forsberg pads remove the pressure on the tendon and that is the key difference between the 2. Trust me, I've fitted dozens of players with forsberg pads. Most of them had tried bunga pads, cardboard / felt / leather / old tongue and other materials as a protective shield, long term they don't work. Not one came back to me after I fitted them with forsberg pads or eyelet extenders (sadly none of them will take me up on the no lace solution...).

Here is a pic of how I make them (I used 1/2" pipe insulation). I taped them to my shin so wrapped tape around the pad to prevent the insulation from peeling off every time I took them off.

http://imgur.com/ociWwcz

Here is a pic of how I used them, taped to my shin. In this photo I have pulled my foot upwards as much as I can to extend the tendon outwards, it doesn't extend outside of the insulation.

https://imgur.com/3qkrbcO

And here is a pic of my own eyelet extenders. Between these and forsberg pads, imho the eyelet extenders are a much better solution for a number of reasons. https://imgur.com/tZTGsIK

and the eyelet extenders fitted onto my now retired apx2's. Later on I used 2 sets of laces, would lace the bottom set (up to the eyelet extenders) at one tension and then the laces thru the eyelet extenders at a much looser tension. https://imgur.com/sV1AH0j

4 hours ago, Vet88 said:

It depends on how bad your lace bite and volume issue is. If it is sever then bunga pads are going to do bugger all. They help to reduce the pressure on the tendon ie can help to prevent lace bite if you are borderline with volume. Whereas Forsberg pads remove the pressure on the tendon and that is the key difference between the 2. Trust me, I've fitted dozens of players with forsberg pads. Most of them had tried bunga pads, cardboard / felt / leather / old tongue and other materials as a protective shield, long term they don't work. Not one came back to me after I fitted them with forsberg pads or eyelet extenders (sadly none of them will take me up on the no lace solution...).

Here is a pic of how I make them (I used 1/2" pipe insulation). I taped them to my shin so wrapped tape around the pad to prevent the insulation from peeling off every time I took them off.

IMG_20170728_185245.jpg

Here is a pic of how I used them, taped to my shin. In this photo I have pulled my foot upwards as much as I can to extend the tendon outwards, it doesn't extend outside of the insulation.

IMG_20170728_185504.jpg

And here is a pic of my own eyelet extenders. Between these and forsberg pads, imho the eyelet extenders are a much better solution for a number of reasons.

IMG_20150926_110330.jpg

and the eyelet extenders fitted onto my now retired apx2's. Later on I used 2 sets of laces, would lace the bottom set (up to the eyelet extenders) at one tension and then the laces thru the eyelet extenders at a much looser tension.

IMG_20150926_173313.jpg

Pics don't work, Vet.

17 hours ago, WaukeshaTG said:

You may want to consider visiting a doctor to have it professionally looked at. If the doctor feels it's in your best interest, he/she may recommend a cortisone shot for your lace bite. I had this done myself, and it helped considerably. It grows the first day to look a little crazy, but after a day or two, it's quite flat looking. It assists with the inflammation big time.

5 hours ago, Vet88 said:

....Here is a pic....

I believe that Photobucket have done something weird. I guess the account you have, allows only you to see your pictures, we see "update your account" picture instead of what you intended. It suggests that we need to visit www.Photobucket.com website. I did not go, but It feels like Photobucket is trying to sign me up. Obviously it is not your fault, unknownly to you, you've just became a cog in photobucket marketing machine.

41 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Don’t use photbucket, it’s garbage. Stick to imgur.com

Yes, I took your recommendation and switched. imgur is far better, it's free and you don't have the ridiculous amount of pop up ads.