Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

I skated one game on saturday.

Started with the laces all the way up. Im not used to lacing all the way up and it felt odd. Dropped an eyelet and it was much better. Dropped another eyelet by the end of the first period and i got back the flex im used to.

These are phenomenal on my feet. Extremely comfortable and responsive. They felt perfect on my left foot and almost perfect on my right.

I noticed that i had ripped the skate near the 5th eyelet on one side of my right skate and had creases on the other at the same eyelet position.

Spoke with rob and they will reinforce that area.

I feel that i should have told them my preferred lacing style. Had i mentioned that they could have prevented that.

Since i mentioned my right skate was almost perfect in fit, Rob wants to make it perfect so hes adding a custom insole to address the very slight looseness i feel in the heel.

Their customer service is excellent.

Im in absolute awe of these skates. If you have problem feet they are well worth the investment.

The only pain i had was in my arches but it too was slight and i attribute that to the higher pitch of the cxn holders.

I just fedexed my skates to get fixed and i will sorely miss them for my game tonight.

Currently ordering these with the Bauer LS Edge holder on them. I'm coming in from Makos, but have always preferred the length/profiling of the Bauer blades. If I enjoy the Mako's pitch, but want to use the Lightspeed Edge holder on my VHs, would I have to ask for a +2 or +3 pitch increase?

That's what I meant. I'd have to ask Scott to shim the holders, aye?

That or have him leave the holders off, you buy some shims and have them mounted/installed at a LHS.

If my memory is correct, Scott doesn't make or insert shims. Also he doesn't have contouring machine for hockey skates.

Everyone on this forum often make shims by themselves.

I received my VH skates and it seems that I am having instep volume issues. I tried them unbaked for the fit and a pencil test and it failed in the instep area. VH said that after baking, my foot should move back about 3-4 mm. I baked them last night, but it seems that I still have instep volume issues. I thought that going custom route would eliminate problems like this with odd feet (in my case high instep). I didn’t have a chance to skate in them yet but I am scared of lace bite down the road. I had a same problem with Reebok Ribcor and it was one of the reasons I went custom with VH. I am currently in Easton Mako 2 skates and they fit me a lot better. I just want your opinion before I contact VH. All the pictures/videos I have seen with people wearing the VH skates have it nicely and uniformly wrapped around their feet. I am including picture before baking (without holders) and after baking. Thanks.

P1040893.jpg

P1040916.jpg

P1040917.jpg

Edited by Gummer12
  • Like 1

On a side note, it looks like the velcro that holds the tongues has been beefed up on newer versions. Looks like the same material the skate is trimmed with?

I received my VH skates and it seems that I am having instep volume issues. I tried them unbaked for the fit and a pencil test and it failed in the instep area. VH said that after baking, my foot should move back about 3-4 mm. I baked them last night, but it seems that I still have instep volume issues. I thought that going custom route would eliminate problems like this with odd feet (in my case high instep). I didn’t have a chance to skate in them yet but I am scared of lace bite down the road. I had a same problem with Reebok Ribcor and it was one of the reasons I went custom with VH. I am currently in Easton Mako 2 skates and they fit me a lot better. I just want your opinion before I contact VH. All the pictures/videos I have seen with people wearing the VH skates have it nicely and uniformly wrapped around their feet. I am including picture before baking (without holders) and after baking. Thanks.

They'll need to be sent back to Scott. Looks like they were made too small.

Here's how mine fit:

7LFdsaZ.jpg

qSQa6XC.jpg

Edited by mc88

Thanks for the responses/pictures. I emailed VH about the issue and will have to wait for their response.

On the order form I mentioned the same instep problem with Reebok Ribcor and I also attached a lot of pictures with 2 of them having a ruler on side.

Got my VHs today. A little worried - even though they appear to be the right size (same size holder as my Makos, with the same amount of "boot" on either end of the holders), there seems to be a significant amount of room in them. If I yoink the tongue forward and slide my foot all the way to the front so my toes touch, there's about a pencil and a half worth of space in the back. The padding seems to be thinner than my Makos too. Perhaps I'm freaking out about something that isn't to worry about, as they are my first VH skates, but coming from Mako skates where it was difficult as hell to get my foot in the skate before baking, this feels different.

Going to bake them in about two hours, and will report back.

If I yoink the tongue forward and slide my foot all the way to the front so my toes touch, there's about a pencil and a half worth of space in the back.

Does the pencil go all the way down and touch the insole or does it poke the back of your heel?

When I slide my foot in like normal, my toes graze the end of the toe caps (not a whole lot of room). Also, when I bend forward, I can put a pencil behind the top of the ankle (near the copper rivet), but any farther down and it hits the top part of the bone that extrudes out (in other words, it doesn't go all the way down to the insole). If yours goes all the way down to the insole, then your measurements were incorrect and you may need to get another pair... unless you find that it fits well enough that your entire foot doesn't slide around when laced up/sweated in.

Odd. Pulled the insole out and it's the perfect length. Finally got them baked. Toes very, very lightly graze the front and my foot doesn't shift at all. There's definitely a bit more room than in my Makos. I have a wide forefoot so this might just be more than I'm used to.

Looking forward to my first skate this week.

Took my first skate. The boot is extremely comfortable. I had not realized how much pressure my Makos placed on my mobile flat feet until I got into these. Took a bit of getting used to, I couldn't get any bite on my inside edges (though it might be the sharpening) and felt like I was on my heels too much. Gonna get them profiled with a slight forward pitch and see if that helps any.

Took my first skate. The boot is extremely comfortable. I had not realized how much pressure my Makos placed on my mobile flat feet until I got into these. Took a bit of getting used to, I couldn't get any bite on my inside edges (though it might be the sharpening) and felt like I was on my heels too much. Gonna get them profiled with a slight forward pitch and see if that helps any.

Highly recommend getting custom profiled runners. I thought I didn't need it, but I tried it and found that really helps. Especially when it comes to the feel of the ice.

If that doesn't work for you, then I'd recommend getting some heel lifts. It seems like the Mako boot is super, aggressively pitched forward, so that'll be another alternative for you to explore.

Edited by mc88