Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

Still on my phone un-edited. Haven't had a chance to get it posted.

Did you have to cut a hole in the back or remove the leather? I'm taking to a skate shop in Los Angeles so hopefully they will know what to do.

My LHS used a dremel to get out the existing rivet. Just made a tiny hole in back and then used a copper rivet through that hole and applied a little additional glue to lower part of tendon guard to secure it more. So now the end of the copper sticks out the back of the tendon guard. Doesn't really look unsightly at all and was a cheap fix.

My tendon guard was broken right in half.

I removed all the stitching on the tendon guard, and separated the glue. I exposed the material on the back of the tendon guard all the way down past the copper on the back of the skate.

I then used the blademaster copper removal tool CAREFULLY to remove the copper rivet. Then I replaced the tendon guard, installed a new copper rivet and used contact cement to glue the backing back onto the new tendon guard. I let it sit for 24 hours to cure. Then I stitched around the top of the tendon guard to finish it off.

Very simple repair if you have the tools, patience and skills. The "hardest" part was drilling the hole in the new tendon guard to perfectly match the old one and butt up properly to the skate body. The new tendon guard was slightly different sized, so I had to do this a bit custom to make it flawless.

If it was only the copper rivet that was broken, I would have used an exacto knife to cut a "+" shaped cut over the copper area. I would have replaced the copper and then used contact cement to re-seal the vibram.

• Like 1

I could use some advice from this group. I am thinking of getting a pair of the VH skates made for me and I found MSH and this forum while reading up on VH.

I am hoping to have the same result as a number of people in this thread that finally found a skate that was comfortable despite whatever issues they had going on with their feet. I have read every one of the 1015 posts in this thread (some more than once). I think I have a good idea of the types of customization options that are available to increase comfort, durability, or look and to personalize the skates. I have made a list below, but am wondering if I am missing anything and I have some questions about specific options sprinkled in. Based on prior posts, I think the list of options are:

1. Comfort top edge
  2. Flexible tendon guard (instead of the standard)
  3. Original or felt tongue - Are there two different types of felt tongues? I am leaning towards the felt tongue. For anyone that has tried both, what was the difference in comfort or performance, if any?
  4. Protective coating on toe cap - Does this cover the screw on the top of the toe box? Also, what does the screw do?
  5. Extra copper rivets for holders
  6. Extra ankle padding
  7. Double stitching at the toe quarter package

Missing anything? Anything else people wish they had done or could have done now that you've had some time to skate in them?

As for personalization, beyond the white leather, it looks like people have also had their number stitched on the back of the skate as well as their name stitched on the tongue. Any other fun things anyone else has had done just because they can?

I saw the pictures of the skates that some people had issues with, particularly the early ones. But for those of you that got them now that they've refined their process and methods a little bit, how are they holding up? Stiffness still good? Stitching, carbon fiber, etc. all holding up?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Islandrs19

I went with the toe coating to protect the composite in that area. Toes tend to take abuse so every little bit helps. Yes it covers the screw. That screw is there to anchor the Velcro strip that attaches the tongue to the boot. I also went with the felt tongues, but that is just more of a personal preference decision than a "must have".

Anyone have some updates on their VH's? Looking at getting a pair, and curious to see if any improvements have been made to the manufacturing process since the skates debut.

Anyone have some updates on their VH's? Looking at getting a pair, and curious to see if any improvements have been made to the manufacturing process since the skates debut.

I can only tell you that if you have seen different images of the skate of different designs, the current design is the one with the eye shaped "window" on the outside without the plastic wear guard (the 2 silver strips) behind the toe box.

Also as far as colour customisation goes, they are not offering the same areas as before. Now you can customise the previously mentioned window on the outside and the diamond shaped area at the back of the skate. The reason given for this was durability issues. If you. Google search for images you can see examples of this.

I got a pair recently and they are going great. I didn't care for the insoles though and put some Superfeet in them. I would love to get true custom insoles because of my really high arches but there is no where here that I can get them. I have to say that it is a good idea to bake them at a shop with really attentive staff that know what they are doing. The skates have very thin padding as they are supposed to fit the exact shape of your feet so you want to get the staff to really press the boot in all around your feet to get rid of any excess space. I had to do a bunch of adjustments at home with a hair dryer and a a clamp because the staff at the lhs were too busy to give it the attention needed.

If I'm a local shop, I'm probably not super excited about baking and molding to your feet the skates that you bought online, unless the shop is charging a pretty hefty baking fee.

If I'm a local shop, I'm probably not super excited about baking and molding to your feet the skates that you bought online, unless the shop is charging a pretty hefty baking fee.

Which most of them do.

I can only tell you that if you have seen different images of the skate of different designs, the current design is the one with the eye shaped "window" on the outside without the plastic wear guard (the 2 silver strips) behind the toe box.

Also as far as colour customisation goes, they are not offering the same areas as before. Now you can customise the previously mentioned window on the outside and the diamond shaped area at the back of the skate. The reason given for this was durability issues. If you. Google search for images you can see examples of this.

I got a pair recently and they are going great. I didn't care for the insoles though and put some Superfeet in them. I would love to get true custom insoles because of my really high arches but there is no where here that I can get them. I have to say that it is a good idea to bake them at a shop with really attentive staff that know what they are doing. The skates have very thin padding as they are supposed to fit the exact shape of your feet so you want to get the staff to really press the boot in all around your feet to get rid of any excess space. I had to do a bunch of adjustments at home with a hair dryer and a a clamp because the staff at the lhs were too busy to give it the attention needed.

Thanks for the reply and the advice. I will be ordering a pair sometime this weekend.

Thanks for the reply and the advice. I will be ordering a pair sometime this weekend.

You'll really like them. Just read up on the info in this thread re measurement and ordering (or visit an authorized reseller) and you'll be golden.

Most comfortable skate out there and they are definitely performers.

Let us know if you have any questions.

I wonder if the toe cap is now plastic or if it's still carbon fibre and is just covered in plastic for protection like the Mako.