Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

That's exactly what I'm worried about and put a note on that request for them to make a recommendation or offer a solution. Also, I'm a bit worried that if they don't make the toebox wide enough, would I still be able to punch the area out with the new toebox covering (since it extends pretty far back)?

Last month I tried skate fender. I couldn't skate with it because of bottom-out. The leather of my VH's outside wall around fingers is also filed by friction with the ice. So I'm also interested in this new plastic toe cap. Or if it was too thicker, I think it's better to use paste coating as you posted.

I've seen that CSW made their new punching machine which can punch out such traditional boots makers hard plastic toe cap.

Looks like the hard plastic coating they use to protect the toe cap.

Alright! Put in an order, let's see if they'll be able to accommodate the design requests (mock ups I created in about a night):

• LS Edge 263mm Holders pre-installed (without the steel, I'll be installing my own)
  • Built-in 4mm shims??? -- I kept bottoming out on my current VH skates near the forefoot areas, please recommend a proper height adjustment or solution
  • VH Logo Blacked Out (Instep & Outstep logos) but keep "VH Footwear" text
  • Black Wick Liner
  • Nylon Plastic Toe Cap Overlay
  • Enhanced Sidewall Protection
  • One-Piece Polymer Tendon Guard
  • "VH" logo on back of Tendon Guard in a gold metallic -- similar to the silver metallic material you use for the VH logo along the instep/outstep of the boot, but in gold
  • Black felt tongue with Black Enhanced Metatarsal Guard with white "MC 88" embroidery
  • White-accented leather on front of Tongues -- White accents along the sides, with a black middle section
  • Rust-Resistant Eyelet Coating -- Preferably an all black coating. Here in California, we have very humid weather and my current VH skates didn't withstand the humidity and developed a lot of rust in a short amount of time.
  • White accented leather material down eyelet 3 and black leather material down eyelet 4 and around the back of the boot
  • Black on Black and White on White Stitching Thread

According to Rob, the enhanced tongue can't be embroidered.

Alright! Put in an order, let's see if they'll be able to accommodate the design requests (mock ups I created in about a night):

• "VH" logo on back of Tendon Guard in a gold metallic -- similar to the silver metallic material you use for the VH logo along the instep/outstep of the boot, but in gold

That looks really sharp. Gold or silver, if they could do that tendon guard detail, I think it would come out great.

Just curious, did your thinking change regarding the softening of the top few eyelets? I thought that had dissuaded you from going back to VH.

Looks like I may have mistaken the enhanced version for the regular version. Will be asking Rob about that.

That looks really sharp. Gold or silver, if they could do that tendon guard detail, I think it would come out great.

Just curious, did your thinking change regarding the softening of the top few eyelets? I thought that had dissuaded you from going back to VH.

I'm convinced that the this time will be better around because I quadruple checked my measurements. So hopefully, I won't have ankle wrap issues and they'll stay stiffer for longer. Just as precaution, I'll be emailing Rob back (as I just got a response, see below) with questions about upper quarter stiffness. Thanks for reminding me!

Just got an e-mail from Rob and looks like I'll be switching to an-all black boot:

#263 holder - just wanted to confirm, as the last pair we made for you had #272.

-built in lifts - no problem, I would recommend having 1/16" built in.
-blacked out logo - no problem, other than the vhfootwear text is no longer available on the side panel. There will be no logo or text.
-tendon guard - unfortunately, black is the only option that we currently offer.
-metatarsal guard tongue - I would recommend having the metatarsal guard in white, with the other areas in black. The coloured leather is not as durable as the black. They would wear down very quickly with white in that area. I would strongly recommend just keeping the met guard in white, with black embroidery on the tongue.
-black eyelets - no problem
-accent leather on side panel - for the same reason as the tongue, I would not recommend white in the area that you have marked out, it will no last. Please see attached. This is where we recommend putting the accent colours in.

Are you sure?

I've ordered a few pairs with the enhanced metatarsal guard and embroidery combination and had no issues.

11745310_388436908014093_139658212553089

The two pairs in the middle have the enhanced metatarsal guard and the embroidery.

The pair on the left has the enhanced metatarsal guard and no embroidery.

The pair on the right has neither.

(The skates pictured have the metatarsal guard in black - so it's a bit difficult to see in the pics)

I just emailed Rob asking about the enhanced metatarsal guard, so I'll let you guys know as soon as he responds.

He responded with yes, it comes in different colors. So, you don't have to have it look like the carbon accented picture used in the pdf/document posted back in June.

Asked Rob and he said that he could stiffen up the area! So, that's good news!

Metatarsal different color with embroidery:

D6Fr0yj.jpg

• Like 1

Anyone know what shipping VH does to the states? How long it takes from shipment?

A little over two weeks and mine haven't shipped just eager to get on the ice.

Anyone know what shipping VH does to the states? How long it takes from shipment?

A little over two weeks and mine haven't shipped just eager to get on the ice.

I believe the current build time for customs is around the 3 week mark because of increased volume.

Optimus can probably comment on the US shipping. I think his arrived in a matter of days after they shipped. Quite fast.

Coated eyelets as in to prevent rust? Damnit....

If I like them enough and they start to rust I guess I'll just order another pair or request if I can buy them then. They actually just sent me an email that it is being shipped, I'll update on time for US folks. I live in Virginia so East Coast.

Coated eyelets? Don't believe those are an option. I think they were an ask from MC88, but I'm not sure they're available.

Got a "not a problem" from Rob. Don't see why this wouldn't be an option considering it's practically on every retail boot you buy.

I like the look with the old toe caps better is it a option i could ask for ?

Doesn't hurt to ask. I noticed there are about three types of boot designs:

WoVsYOB.jpg

kaROc93.jpg

HWfyQIM.jpg

Edited by mc88

I don't think those are different designs so much as just an evolution of the skate. It's amazing how different VH from even just 8 months ago are from what they're shipping now.

I don't think those are different designs so much as just an evolution of the skate. It's amazing how different VH from even just 8 months ago are from what they're shipping now.

I believe the all three designs are still in use. Greyskull ordered his pair on July 29th:

http://modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php/topic/63437-vh-footwear/page-46#entry1033419

http://modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php/topic/63437-vh-footwear/page-49#entry1034364

Looks like he got the second boot design due to asking for a "coated toecap" versus the "nylon toecap", but also has the third design's one-piece tendon.

And Wanz getting the third design nylon toecap with the first design tendon guard wrap:

http://modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php/topic/63437-vh-footwear/page-52#entry1034972

Edited by mc88

I thought that was just because they hadn't gotten the new plastic toe cap set up for boots larger than size 10 yet, and Greyskull's are larger than that.

If that's the case, I'd be curious to know what design would be used if you didn't order the nylon toecap nor a coated toecap.

The second pair in MC88's post is mine. Just for reference they were ordered October 2014. The Only difference between the first pair and mine is the sidewall piece. I prefer the one piece look to the trapezoid cut out, but was advised that they had switched to die cut pieces for that part and the one piece was no longer available. The other difference is the coated toe cap on mine, that form what I understand has been available all along as an option. The difference from the first/second generation skates to the current iteration is mainly the obviously different replaceable tendon guard and new toecap overlay option. Aside from the corresponding aesthetic changes to the "leather" overlay areas to accommodate the new pieces, I don't think the boot has changed very much at all ( not that it needs to). The updates seem to address the durability issues some have encountered.