Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

Can someone explain to me how they (VH) pulls off the integrated shot blockers? Wouldn't it ruin the moldability to wedge something hard in between layers of carbon fiber (or is it just MORE of the same material and therefore still moldable)?

Can someone explain to me how they (VH) pulls off the integrated shot blockers? Wouldn't it ruin the moldability to wedge something hard in between layers of carbon fiber (or is it just MORE of the same material and therefore still moldable)?

I'm guessing its either thicker material (makes sense, being carbon fiber already which is what some of the shot blockers on the market are) or a layer on the outside of the carbon fiber. Keep in mind it's not the carbon fiber that is the moldable part.

It's probably a similar concept to the new goalie skates that have integrated cowlings (that may or may not be allowed to be talked about on MSH so I won't say more than that about them).

The integrated shot blockers are actually known as "enhanced impact protection".

It's additional composite layering into the boot itself, on the inside - not visible or specifically palpable from the outside ...

Because of this, the boot becomes slightly stiffer and it adds an additional 30 grams, on average.

• Like 1

Sure, but usually not because the glue was letting go on components of the boot.

No, it's for things like broken holders (Bauer's clear light speed holders), boot stitching failures (CCM RBZ), quarter separation (CCM U+), or ankle abrasions (Easton Mako).

You have been shitting all over VH since the skate came out. Do you own a pair? No? Then you're just being a dick.

Just so you can see in advance how much of a nightmare my feet are!

SkateForMSLeft.png

SkateforMSRight.png

It seems little too rough for me though, really is this ok to make suitable custom boots?

It seems little too rough for me though, really is this ok to make suitable custom boots?

Yes, it's fine - maybe not "ideal", but workable... I would suggest a single line, maybe double or overstrike in a few places where it's harder to trace (like toes and around heel), but I wouldn't worry about these tracings, especially with the measurements that accompany them...

• Like 1

I'm interested in current VH's updates. I'm thinking to make 2nd order around next year.

Now we can choose enhanced protect sidewall to get more protection ability. Scott has announced it needs to add 30g than normal boots. I really think normal boots have already had much protection than the other traditional skate boots. But also I think that it has not the same protection as skate fender.

My VH is roughly 860g for single boot. Scott shows us 683g boot on the web site though maybe this difference comes from steel and insole. Mine are Sidas Conformable insole and Step Steel, include shoe lace. Although I'm feeling this is little heavy. I don't know my boot size in standard but probably it almost same as the boot which on the web site by Scott. Because my actual foot length is 250~3mm.

So if I would choose enhanced sidewall when next order, there is a possibility its weight go over 900g. I want to know the real of enhanced sidewall option. Does it have enough protection to say the same as wearing skate fender, or just little advanced normal VH?

Edited by Mimizk

Here's a few pictures of the new one-piece tendon guard.

Much easier to replace. New sewing, minimal glue, no removal of Vibram.

The tendon guard is held in place with a single copper rivet. Small piece of material covers the back of the copper.

new_tendon_01_zpstcdpgakr.jpg

new_tendon_03_zpsizi3prax.jpg

Was the torx 3 screw system that were used on the MLX skates to anchor the tendon guard to the skate bought and trademarked by Easton? I know that the Mako skates have the tendon guards attached with 2 screws. The reason I ask is because it just seems like a much better system in terms of ease of use and functionality. Also, the sticker that is covering the rivet on the VH's just doesn't have the look of something that will hold up well, even for someone at my level (uber low). I've had MLX skates for years and had a situation where a tendon guard got literally sheared off. It took about 2 minutes to swap it out for a new one. Maybe I'm missing an important positive to the rivet style system, I'd like to hear folks thoughts on that.

The weight of the MX3 is like mid 700s so I wouldn't say anything less than 850 is bad.

How did you get up to 860? Sorry if I read this wrong, but they stated on the website with LS2s a size 8 is a little heavier than the MX3.

According to that it should be about 800 for built in shot blockers. Rob also recommended to me that I order them when I said I wanted a skate similar in stiffness to the MX3.

Was the torx 3 screw system that were used on the MLX skates to anchor the tendon guard to the skate bought and trademarked by Easton? I know that the Mako skates have the tendon guards attached with 2 screws. The reason I ask is because it just seems like a much better system in terms of ease of use and functionality. Also, the sticker that is covering the rivet on the VH's just doesn't have the look of something that will hold up well, even for someone at my level (uber low). I've had MLX skates for years and had a situation where a tendon guard got literally sheared off. It took about 2 minutes to swap it out for a new one. Maybe I'm missing an important positive to the rivet style system, I'd like to hear folks thoughts on that.

I don't know about the trademarks or why they aren't using a screw system - but the copper seems to hold them on well, and also makes changing the tendon guards quite easy. Perhaps not end-user easy, but easy for a shop. They're always evolving the design, and perhaps this will be an area that will be modified in the future.

The little piece of material covering the copper backing on the new boot style may come off, but it won't impact the integrity of the copper or the tendon guard. It can be glued back on, or left off.

Just placed my order.

Rob told me I fit under the "Junior" category which I'm assuming is like skate sizes 4-8. He said the measurements ranges from 252-210mm. I'm a 235 and a 8.5 shoe on both feet.

Ended up being 760 USD compared to over 900. That's with added stiffness in the shot blockers, metatarsal tongue, and Edge holders.

He said there was no difference in stiffness. I was a little surprised since usually "Junior" is meaning up to 5.5 but I'm assuming they are working with a different system here.

I know it will be fine it's just a little different to me haha. I wear an 8.5 shoe and have always gone the route of a size and a half smaller than your shoe size. I thought a size 6 skate (one I'm currently in) was a little small for me but maybe it's close to what I need. The Haglunds is also misleading ?

That's just it. The skate you were in may have been larger because it was compensating in areas and giving an improper fit. The VH will have a lot more wrap, all around the foot, fit closer, and have less wasted space.

Congrats on your new jets!

The weight of the MX3 is like mid 700s so I wouldn't say anything less than 850 is bad.

How did you get up to 860? Sorry if I read this wrong, but they stated on the website with LS2s a size 8 is a little heavier than the MX3.

According to that it should be about 800 for built in shot blockers. Rob also recommended to me that I order them when I said I wanted a skate similar in stiffness to the MX3.

Really? 100g is big for me. And also compared to Scott's 700g under skates, mine is 150g heavier. This is large for me.

For example, normal MLX skates with its heavy gimmick holder is 852g according to this site. Another example, full skate fender is about 200g. This was too heavy weight for me. I really felt its difference when wore it first time.

So I'm thinking as 1) Full skate fender is 200g so it's great choice if we can get almost same protection as full fender by only 30g additional weight. 2) I don't hope if my skates go over 900g but its protection is not different enough from general VH.

Also curious I want to know add weight of plastic toe cap cover.