Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

Nice find Monty. Surprised no one else has brought up these skates before, especially with Wickenheiser being one of the most recognizable names in women's hockey. Looks like she had a pair with Bauer logos on them too.

467183707.jpg

Edited by mickz

That's interesting, especially because of all the rumors you hear about "my friend's uncle knows this guy who made Crosby's Graf skates look like Reeboks," or "those Bauer sticks are actually warrior sticks underneath."

But, that is an actual example one one brands equipment being modified to look like another. I wonder what the backstory on those is.

Just placed my order yesterday. I skate barefooted and Rob suggested the black wick liner, but I think I'm going to stay with clarino.

My order:

New style toe cap

New one piece tendon guard

Felt tongue with metatarsal guard

Color RED

CCM SB +4.0 Holder (size 280 with no steel)

Tan clarino liner

Enhanced impact protection

I was hoping to do black, white and golden yellow for the colors, but wasn't and option.... no embrodery available on tongue with a metatarsal guard, but as long as the skate fit and perform awesome, I'll be happy!

Edited by BRUINS_FAN_74

Thought this was interesting: I was at the HHOF in Toronto last week and came across these. Haley Wickenheiser VH's, with Total One heel pieces to make them look like Bauers.

IMG_20150821_100511_927_zpseahcg6ct.jpg

Were did the picture go??

http://www.gettyimages.ca/detail/news-photo/hayley-wickenheiser-of-team-canada-skates-up-the-ice-news-photo/461681539

here is a great one in action!

I'm going to confirm the "no embroidery on enhanced metatarsal guard" with VH - I've ordered this option before without issue, but maybe something has changed.

Ok gents. The official word from VH...

The enhanced metatarsal guard CAN be embroidered. Up to 3 digits (numbers or letters) - just like the tongue without metatarsal guard.

I posted a pic of the embroidered metatarsal guard a page or so back. The skates with the "GB" and "MB" embroidery - with a black metatarsal guard.

The enhanced metatarsal guard covers up the VH logo on the tongue, as does the embroidery option.

Hope that helps clear stuff up.

• Like 1

I got my VH skates with the new toe cap about a month ago with the stock tongues. The tongue keeps falling to the outside a bit no matter how I adjust the tongue. Also sometimes I get a bit of bite when I tighten the last two eyelets too much. I know I can keep the laces a bit looser, but I like them tight.

For those that have the enhanced metatarsal guard in the tongue, did you also get a thicker tongue? Should I get a wider tongue than stock to prevent the tongue from rolling to the outside?

I got my VH skates with the new toe cap about a month ago with the stock tongues. The tongue keeps falling to the outside a bit no matter how I adjust the tongue. Also sometimes I get a bit of bite when I tighten the last two eyelets too much. I know I can keep the laces a bit looser, but I like them tight.

For those that have the enhanced metatarsal guard in the tongue, did you also get a thicker tongue? Should I get a wider tongue than stock to prevent the tongue from rolling to the outside?

My current VHs do the same. I think the wrap is too tight around the top of the ankle that it pushes the tongue to the outside. I'm not really sure if there's an easy fix for the issue, but perhaps you can send them back to VH to have a tab sewn into the center of the tongue, so that when you lace through this tab, it'll hold it center:

W3xCBM5.jpg

Edited by mc88

I misread the email from Rob, and yes it is possible :) I'm going to have to see if it's not to late to add it to my order. I don't seem to get quick replys back

Ok gents. The official word from VH...

The enhanced metatarsal guard CAN be embroidered. Up to 3 digits (numbers or letters) - just like the tongue without metatarsal guard.

I posted a pic of the embroidered metatarsal guard a page or so back. The skates with the "GB" and "MB" embroidery - with a black metatarsal guard.

The enhanced metatarsal guard covers up the VH logo on the tongue, as does the embroidery option.

Hope that helps clear stuff up.

Can anyone upload a picture of long time used plasti-dip toe cap?

I'm considering to use plasti dip for surface of sidewall which would be touched with the ice when we do cross over. VH provide us new plastic toe cap or former leather and some small plastic piece combo for that. But I want to make my next boots possibly simple and lightweight.

Can anyone upload a picture of long time used plasti-dip toe cap?

I'm considering to use plasti dip for surface of sidewall which would be touched with the ice when we do cross over. VH provide us new plastic toe cap or former leather and some small plastic piece combo for that. But I want to make my next boots possibly simple and lightweight.

Don't use plasti-dip. It won't hold up.

I took the plasti-dip coating off my toecap after a few weeks because it went from this...

TSQh71L.jpg

to this...

CQboJDl.jpg

Supposedly there's a spray-on coating that'll make it more durable, but it was another $20 just to find out if even worked.

Edited by mc88

Thank you mc88...

Maybe to use new plastic toe cap is better choice but also I'm worried about its additional thickness. I keep wait arriving of your skate!

Thank you mc88...

Maybe to use new plastic toe cap is better choice but also I'm worried about its additional thickness. I keep wait arriving of your skate!

Why not ask to have what VH uses on the toe caps to be applied to the areas you are concerned about as well? I have the factory coated toe caps and they have held up very well over the last year.

Vapor%2010%20001_zps0zqtlcon.jpg

• Like 1

Why not ask to have what VH uses on the toe caps to be applied to the areas you are concerned about as well? I have the factory coated toe caps and they have held up very well over the last year.

Yes, I've been considering about taking this method after I had seen this post and video.

This is the segment I was thinking of: https://youtu.be/PBUfeofOa90?t=140

Your VH's dipped toe cap seems keeping very well condition.

I'm thinking for my next boots to use only slightly leather, but uncovered carbon of almost area.

Edited by Mimizk

That's interesting, especially because of all the rumors you hear about "my friend's uncle knows this guy who made Crosby's Graf skates look like Reeboks," or "those Bauer sticks are actually warrior sticks underneath."

But, that is an actual example one one brands equipment being modified to look like another. I wonder what the backstory on those is.

My guess is it is more an example of one brand that isn't paying the license fee is specifically allowing their piece of gear to be modified to appear as a licensed brand. With VH being such a small niche product, they are probably a whole lot more amenable to the idea (probably thanks to a nice check from Bauer) than a bigger player who is paying to have their brand visible. Trust me, there is no way that you would see a Graf skate mocked up with Reebok (now CCM) logos while Graf is paying a license fee.

But in Wickenheiser's case, were there licensing fees to display logos where she played? I know the Olympics is strict about that with regards to gloves, helmets and sticks, but I didn't think they required logos to be obscured on skates.

Lets say you're a pro athlete and someone is sponsoring you or your team (let's say Bauer or CCM) and you have to wear their gear.

Let's also say that you love their protective, but that their skates aren't your cup of tea for fit or comfort reasons.

Perhaps you could wear another brand of skates as long as an effort was given to make them look like the product you're sponsored to wear, and as long as you don't actively endorse the other product...

May be completely off-base, or may be something to think about.

If licensing fees was the issue then it would've been easier just to cover the logos or have no branding at all instead of dressing it up like a Supreme. Someone email Scott? lol

Sounds like a licensing/sponsorship thing. For example, the NFL has a strict and exclusive partnership with Bose headphones. So if you wear a pair of Beats on camera, you'll be violating NFL policy (this holds especially true if your team is directly sponsored by a specific company, like Bauer, who may not want a competing brand to be viewed AT ALL, even if it's "blacked out" or covered up, on camera):

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11671032/colin-kaepernick-san-francisco-49ers-fined-10k-beats-dre-headphones

Edited by mc88

Got an email back from Rob today, costs $80 for another tongue plus $12 for shipping. I was hoping he would send me one plus shipping based on others experiences. I get they need to charge something …

Lets say you're a pro athlete and someone is sponsoring you or your team (let's say Bauer or CCM) and you have to wear their gear.

Let's also say that you love their protective, but that their skates aren't your cup of tea for fit or comfort reasons.

Perhaps you could wear another brand of skates as long as an effort was given to make them look like the product you're sponsored to wear, and as long as you don't actively endorse the other product...

May be completely off-base, or may be something to think about.

I've read claims that Fedorov had that done by Graf when he was sponsored by Nike. I've never been able to find visual evidence of it though.

Sounds like a licensing/sponsorship thing. For example, the NFL has a strict and exclusive partnership with Bose headphones. So if you wear a pair of Beats on camera, you'll be violating NFL policy (this holds especially true if your team is directly sponsored by a specific company, like Bauer, who may not want a competing brand to be viewed AT ALL, even if it's "blacked out" or covered up, on camera):

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11671032/colin-kaepernick-san-francisco-49ers-fined-10k-beats-dre-headphones

Bauer doesn't have exclusivity with the women's team though. Even in Bauer-sponsored leagues (CWHL, BCHL), skates aren't a part of the deal. Players can get a discount when buying Bauer skates but they can choose to wear another brand (and not have to black out the logo) if they want to.

jubo.jpg

Bauer doesn't have exclusivity with the women's team though. Even in Bauer-sponsored leagues (CWHL, BCHL), skates aren't a part of the deal. Players can get a discount when buying Bauer skates but they can choose to wear another brand (and not have to black out the logo) if they want to.

jubo.jpg

But, Haley may be an ambassador for women's/girl's hockey through Bauer. So it may not be a team thing or league thing, but rather a personal deal as an ambassador.

That was my thinking as I recall she used to be prominently displayed on the Bauer site. And again, I think this was a very special case with a niche, micro manufacturer.

Edited by chippa13