Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

I have LS3 steel on my holders. I didn't feel any wiggle, but the sound could just be from the holder. No rivets lose or anything like that. Maybe it's tendon guard as Larry54 mentioned. Will have to investigate some more. However haven't had any on ice issues. 

2 hours ago, Buddy said:

I have LS3 steel on my holders. I didn't feel any wiggle, but the sound could just be from the holder. No rivets lose or anything like that. Maybe it's tendon guard as Larry54 mentioned. Will have to investigate some more. However haven't had any on ice issues. 

My clicking on the edge holders came from the steel having movement up and down and it was hard for me to replicate it with my hands only. I had to actually put weight into it. 

Just got my first pair of True Skates this weekend.  Haven't had a chance to try them on the ice yet, but had them baked and molded at around 70% tightness.  Everything looks and feels fantastic except for one issue with the length of both boots in regards to the toe cap. With my heel locked in, wearing very thin sock liners, and with laces pretty tight in the middle and upper portion of the boot (but top eyelet not laced), when sitting with legs bent 90 degrees, I barely brush the toe cap, but when standing, I feel contact with the toe cap on both my big toe and 2nd toe...and it's touching, not brushing.  When in skating stance, knees bent, I can at times still feel the big toe brushing the cap.  However, when I lift my toe, I get more room (see pic - red area).  I noticed vs my old skates, where the toe cap goes straight down, the True Skates curve back in at the bottom (see pic - in green).

Questions:

-Is this how True Skates normally fit due to the unique toe cap shape?  I had a solid 3d scan done (during midday), along with pics, and my fitter really was on point with what he was doing and knew his stuff.  My old skates (CCM Tacks 1st gen), are actually slightly shorter in boot length compared to the Trues, but I don't feel nearly as much contact with the toe cap due to the "straight down" design of the cap.  Wondering if this is a typical fit and I'm just not used to it?  (Compared footbeds to my old skates, and my old footbeds are about (just shy) 1/8" longer.

-How much do True Skates "pack out" after breaking in?  Will I gain some length naturally from the heel pads compressing a bit with time?  (maybe like 1/8")?  I noticed on my old skates, I definitely gained a little length after lots of use.

-If this is an issue and causes pain at the toes, are there any easy adjustments to remedy any issues?  Can the skates be stretched in length with baking and using those shoe extenders you see at shoe shops?  Maybe more thickness in the insole area at the toe cap to raise my toes a bit?

Or do I really have a great fit and I'm just not used to it cause I've never had custom boots before?

Any insights are greatly appreciated.

https://imgur.com/a/qbXNj

I would contact their support, they are pretty good and reply within 24 hours. Send many pictures and circle problem areas. I had tightness in the toes too but it gradually went away.

4 hours ago, 02m3smg said:

I would contact their support, they are pretty good and reply within 24 hours. Send many pictures and circle problem areas. I had tightness in the toes too but it gradually went away.

Thanks!  I contacted True, and they were very helpful and responsive.  They gave me some suggestions to help the fit, but essentially said, as long as there's no pain or discomfort, that the toes touching the cap is 100% normal when standing upright with their boots, being that they're made to have as little negative space as possible.  I'll have to skate on them a few times and see if it's just a feeling I need to get used to or if it becomes an issue.

11 hours ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

Just got my first pair of True Skates this weekend.  Haven't had a chance to try them on the ice yet, but had them baked and molded at around 70% tightness.  Everything looks and feels fantastic except for one issue with the length of both boots in regards to the toe cap. With my heel locked in, wearing very thin sock liners, and with laces pretty tight in the middle and upper portion of the boot (but top eyelet not laced), when sitting with legs bent 90 degrees, I barely brush the toe cap, but when standing, I feel contact with the toe cap on both my big toe and 2nd toe...and it's touching, not brushing.  When in skating stance, knees bent, I can at times still feel the big toe brushing the cap.  However, when I lift my toe, I get more room (see pic - red area).  I noticed vs my old skates, where the toe cap goes straight down, the True Skates curve back in at the bottom (see pic - in green).

Questions:

-Is this how True Skates normally fit due to the unique toe cap shape?  I had a solid 3d scan done (during midday), along with pics, and my fitter really was on point with what he was doing and knew his stuff.  My old skates (CCM Tacks 1st gen), are actually slightly shorter in boot length compared to the Trues, but I don't feel nearly as much contact with the toe cap due to the "straight down" design of the cap.  Wondering if this is a typical fit and I'm just not used to it?  (Compared footbeds to my old skates, and my old footbeds are about (just shy) 1/8" longer.

-How much do True Skates "pack out" after breaking in?  Will I gain some length naturally from the heel pads compressing a bit with time?  (maybe like 1/8")?  I noticed on my old skates, I definitely gained a little length after lots of use.

-If this is an issue and causes pain at the toes, are there any easy adjustments to remedy any issues?  Can the skates be stretched in length with baking and using those shoe extenders you see at shoe shops?  Maybe more thickness in the insole area at the toe cap to raise my toes a bit?

Or do I really have a great fit and I'm just not used to it cause I've never had custom boots before?

Any insights are greatly appreciated.

https://imgur.com/a/qbXNj

No first hand experience with the brand:     did you seat your heel by tapping the back of the blade holder on the mat ?       The fit you are describing is what I prefer.  But every one is different.   Like I said I'm just speaking in general terms because I have no experience with the brand 

6 minutes ago, Playmakersedge said:

No first hand experience with the brand:     did you seat your heel by tapping the back of the blade holder on the mat ?       The fit you are describing is what I prefer.  But every one is different.   Like I said I'm just speaking in general terms because I have no experience with the brand 

Yep.  I tapped the heel back, and then tied my laces as I usually do - loose at the bottom, tight at the middle, semi-tight on the top, leaving the top eyelet unlaced.  The only thing I've done differently is I'm using cloth laces, whereas my old skates, I used waxed laces (many recommended I don't use waxed laces with True Skates)  I'm assuming that the skates are good and the fit is something I'll have to get used to.  (I'm just not used to it - my old skates had great heel lock and my toes only touched the caps if I pointed my feet.)

There is a layer of foam inside of the toe caps. You can shave some of it off or remove it. I'm pretty sure it's just a layer or two of the red footbed that's on there for shock absorption and/or for reducing room in the toe box. I'm sure that's one of the things they already suggested though. If you are using the step holders, the pitch makes the toes against the toecap more noticeable. 

When I went from the step holders to the tuuks it def reduced the amount of contact between my toes and the toe cap due to the change in pitch. 

If your feet line up fine with the footbed/insole, it isn't going to be a size issue in terms of a boot that's too short. 

Edited by Sniper9

36 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

There is a layer of foam inside of the toe caps. You can shave some of it off or remove it. I'm pretty sure it's just a layer or two of the red footbed that's on there for shock absorption and/or for reducing room in the toe box. I'm sure that's one of the things they already suggested though. If you are using the step holders, the pitch makes the toes against the toecap more noticeable. 

When I went from the step holders to the tuuks it def reduced the amount of contact between my toes and the toe cap due to the change in pitch. 

If your feet line up fine with the footbed/insole, it isn't going to be a size issue in terms of a boot that's too short. 

Yes...one thing they suggested was to remove the toe cap foam.  Also using Superfeet (or some sort of hard raised arch insole) to raise my arches and pull back the toes could help.

How do you mean if the "feet line up" with the insole?  Do you mean the toes not overlapping the blue insole?  

It does seem from some of the responses though that touching (not brushing) the toe caps when standing is pretty common and not a fit issue...

Edited by shoot_the_goalie

50 minutes ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

Yes...one thing they suggested was to remove the toe cap foam.  Also using Superfeet (or some sort of hard raised arch insole) to raise my arches and pull back the toes could help.

How do you mean if the "feet line up" with the insole?  Do you mean the toes not overlapping the blue insole?  

It does seem from some of the responses though that touching (not brushing) the toe caps when standing is pretty common and not a fit issue...

Yea if ur feet lines up with the. Blue insole then the fit is correct (pretty much biggest toe in line with the end of the insole). 

Mine brush. When I had the step holders the left actually touched. But like I said it was bc of the pitch. Now they only brush. 

5 minutes ago, Sniper9 said:

Yea if ur feet lines up with the. Blue insole then the fit is correct (pretty much biggest toe in line with the end of the insole). 

Mine brush. When I had the step holders the left actually touched. But like I said it was bc of the pitch. Now they only brush. 

Thanks for the tip and input.  Really appreciate it.  Cheers.

1 hour ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

You probably don’t want superfeet. The boots are built to your foot shape so an insole that provides its own shape can be counter-productive. 

Of course there are always exceptions. I would suggest removing the red insole if you are going to try superfeet.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

You probably don’t want superfeet. The boots are built to your foot shape so an insole that provides its own shape can be counter-productive. 

Of course there are always exceptions. I would suggest removing the red insole if you are going to try superfeet.

Removing the red insole definitely provided a better fit with superfeet. I just can't use the stock insoles due to it's sponginess. It also almost feels slippery too. 

13 hours ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

Tried adjusting tongue.  It's not a volume issue in the toe cap.  It's a length issue.

Mine feel too short also. Same thing. I’m sending mine back 

9 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

The blue insoles just fit to my feet, right to the edge of the big toe, and I compared them to my old skates’ stock insoles, which I still have around, and they pretty much match in length on my longer foot. (One of my feet is shorter - why I got Trues).  So looks like length is correct and I’ll just have to get used to the new feeling.  Hope to get these on the ice soon so I can really get an idea of the feel and dial it in.

Does anyone use Powerfoot inserts on these?  I would like to close the negative space right above my toes but don’t want to drop my tongues all the way down into the toe cap.  Would the Powerfoot adhesive mess with the Velcro tongue tab?

6 hours ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

Does anyone use Powerfoot inserts on these?  I would like to close the negative space right above my toes but don’t want to drop my tongues all the way down into the toe cap.  Would the Powerfoot adhesive mess with the Velcro tongue tab?

I had began using Powerfoot inserts on my previous skates right before I switched over to the Trues and haven't had a chance to buy some new ones. I will probably have to order them though as they make a special model exclusively for use in True skates as the regular inserts are too thick. 

7 hours ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

First I placed the tongues in far enough so that the top of the Velcro tab aligned with the top of the Velcro on the tongue. But the Velcro on the ceiling of the toe cap was snagging my socks so I bought some 1/4" thick felt insoles at the dollar store. I cut the heel off of each insole just long enough to fit on the ceiling of the toe cap in front of the tongue. The felt stuck adequately to the Velcro so no adhesive required. And it removed some space above my toes while protecting my socks from the velcro.

Edited by Larry54

9 hours ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

The Powerfoot for trues is the same as the mako. 

I wanted to get Powerfoots but I'm not sure what to do with the Velcro tab as well. Not sure if I'm supposed to put the powerfoot over it or under it. I currently have my tongues so they are a but lower and overlap the Velcro tab in the toe box.  So there isn't any Velcro sticking out on the bottom. It has decreased some negative space but I want more space taken away at the tip of the toes. It doesn't really bother me but it would definitely perfect the fit. I'm thinking if I do go the Powerfoot route, I'd either move the tongues up and put the Powerfoot over tht tab or cut the Powerfoot to accommodate the tab. 

Would like to see what others here have done.