Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

14504042907_141e2147c3.jpg

Finally I completed tuning.

Boots... VH Footwear custom with flexible tendon guard

Tongues... cut off VH's genuine tongue around toe box and top

Holders... Tuuk Lightspeed2 263

Edges... Step Steel V-Speed XL

Shoelaces... nowaxed 96"

Insoles... Sidas Conformable

Contouring... 13' radius, +1 pitch and slide center point 1mm forward by Blademaster machine

Sharpening... BFD X7

Shims... 3mm heel lift shim and 2+1mm medial side shim

If I want more than this, I may keep them when I will order new skates for me, probably 1or2 years after.

What is "custom" about the tendon guard?

I replaced it from genuine to flexible one.

It is not softer as I thought though certainly move to back.

Sorry. What do you mean exactly? I am wondering if what you have will be more durable than the original design.

Have you ever seen any skates which have flexible tendon guard?

Easton's Mako... or now we can see the similar feature in some models of Bauer's.

OK, I will take a pic and post on this topic.

here is a pic.

14704490762_1d58412e55.jpg

Definitely, if the broke reason what you guys' tendon guard were too solid to receive your ankle turning power, this flexible guard may be a better idea to solve the problem.

But Mako's tendon guard is more silky back move.

Definitely, if the broke reason what you guys' tendon guard were too solid to receive your ankle turning power, this flexible guard may be a better idea to solve the problem.

Is it attached with a copper rivet like the standard guard? Does it seem more durable long term?

Edited by flyers10

Is it attached with a copper rivet like the standard guard? Does it seem more durable long term?

Yes, it seems attached the same method as genuine tendon guard.

But I don't have experience that tendon guard broken so I really hard to say its durable because I don't know the reason or mechanism of that.

Though as already I wrote, I think this flexible tendon guard have a certainly possible to solve the problem for the reason.

here is a pic.

14704490762_1d58412e55.jpg

Thanks for the pic! Yes, I think thats what everyone wants to know... will this tendon guard hold up better? It looks like if you are flexing it that much that the rivet shouldn't pop out.

In most cases, I don't think it's an issue of the copper popping out, rather the material around the copper breaking.

The copper should stay in place unless it wasn't crimped properly.

Edited by Davetronz

In most cases, I don't think it's an issue of the copper popping out, rather the material around the copper breaking.

The copper should stay in place unless it wasn't crimped properly.

I don't know detail of the problem.

So I'm glad if someone can consider about that with my pics.

Then this is just my thinking though, if we regard that Davetronz's thinking is correct, the construction is too weak for hockey boots.

I was thinking that it might decrease the number of the problem if the tendon guard received our power in flex.

But if it has coursed by out power or damage for example you get a puck to your boot from side or back, there is no relation between the broken problem and flexing tendon guard.

14727138223_9c31ac7d26.jpg

By the way,

I re-baked my skates today for changing tongue.

from cut genuine to custom thicker felt one.

I feel so better.

Also changed laces from 96" to 84".

Contoured again by Blademaster's Custom Radius, moved center point 2mm back, same 13' radius and +2 pitch.

Total 870g/one side.

This is back.

14520621039_77c0cb73c0.jpg

I guess I should have stated that I don't think that VH's design has any "weakness" in the tendon guard area compared to other brands of similar quality.

I've seen broken tendon guards in in all of the manufacturers.

There's obviously a seam where the tendon guard meets the boot, and the tendon guard itself is affixed using a copper rivet which should stand up to a fair bit of abuse...

As with any tendon guard, if it is hit, over-flexed (such as pulled on when the skate is put on or removed), or is overheated during baking, this can reduce the durability of the guard or break it off completely.

I went to free skate with a friend yesterday.

The friend was using Bauer boots and laced it up with full eyelet.

I've laced my boots without top eyelet because I've felt general boots' construction is too upright for my skating and ankle.

But yesterday I thought to try full lacing up.

I felt so good.

MLX, Mako or our VH boots are designed deep angle of ankle.

So probably I didn't feel not better.

But my legs are bow shaped so feel pain around shin between tongue.

Mimizk- Did VH profile your blade for you at all when you ordered? Im thinking about getting my VH's with Step Steel, and I'm pretty certain it comes with a neutral, 10' radius. I'd like to stick with a 9', like my current LS2 runners, and perhaps get a slight forward pitch added to it... But maybe not if the boot is already fairly aggressive.

No, I didn't ask him about contour.

I ordered him boots only so I attached holders and runners and contoured in a shop near my house.

I don't know whether he have contouring machine for hockey...

Okay. I can ask him myself then. If he can't do it, I will just send them to a shop near by, thanks.

Overall though, how do you like these skates? Do you find they offer a good level of protection from pucks, sticks, etc?

Level of protection is unreal. They're like little light-weight tanks on your feet. I haven't felt a SINGLE thing since wearing them.

Overall, they've been the most comfortable and responsive skate for my odd foot shape. For me, nothing else seems to work.

Edited by Davetronz

Due to wear of tongue and composite on my Mako's I'm starting to think about my next pair of skates. The additional protection VH seems to have over the Mako's would also be an big plus (I'm currently having to wear skate fenders with my Makos). However, I've become a big fan of the Mako's extreme pitch and although I realize I could get there with a pretty large heel wedge or some pretty aggressive profiling, I was wondering if anyone has gotten a pair of VH's with CXN holders/runners on them and can comment about how the overall stance of such a setup feels compared to the Mako's stance?

When go to shooting block with standing, often we get a puck at toe though, I didn't feel nothing wearing VH boots.

This is truth.

I don't know it's construction or reason why VH boots effect such great toughness, but this is a fact.

The VH boot is already aggressively stanced, even with a LS 2. I'd guess the boot with a CXN holder would be as aggressive as the mako, if not more so.

When I asked Scott this he replied the VH boot is neutral.

Yeah just looking at the boot, it looks more aggressively pitched, and you'd assume it would be since it takes cues from MLX skates.

And to the other guys above who have VH skates... Was VH able to give you any custom profile work? I'm looking to get step steel runners, but I want a 9' radius and I think SS comes 10' from factory.

Edited by z1ggy

Sorry I can't say better in English for I want to...
But I want to make sure about your "pitch".

DSC_0013.jpg

Pitch is including some factors.

I have not thought about boots' arch much more since I had chosen custom insoles.

Then I think Scott's boots have deep angle for ankle.

So... how do you say what about?

("angle of ankle", is this not wrong? I feel something like saying boring pun...)

And I'm thinking that most of your feeling about "pitch" depend on the revelation difference of holder.