Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dsjunior1388

VH Footwear/TRUE by Scott Van Horne

Hi guys, having the old VH skates, I'm thinking about moving to the new pair. But had a question on the liners (Tan Clarino / Black wick).

What are the main differences? I do go barefoot in the skate, but what are the main differences? In the past, I thought clarino felt ok, but thought I read somewhere the black wick would be more recommended for people who don't wear socks?

Any insights on this is appreciated.

BTW - I live in a very humid location, and it does make it more difficult for the equipment to dry in the lockers we have at the rink which don't have the best ventilation. So not sure if that would change your thoughts on either option.

Thanks

Edited by art-71

The Clarino is described as the best all-round liner for players who wear socks while playing or do not sweat a tremendous amount from their feet.

The Black Wick liner is used for players who either play barefoot or who tend to sweat a lot in their feet. It's just a bit "grippier" for wet or bare feet when it comes down to it.

• Like 1

VH Goalie skates. All I can say is WOW.

Just received a fit sample pair in and I am so impressed. Unbaked, un-customized they feel AMAZING.

I can only imagine how unreal they'd feel if they were MY customs.

Wayne's World Voice: "It will be mine. Oh yes. It will be mine." .... One day.

Maybe I'll just leave them on my feet for a few hours - might be hard to work though!

The biggest downside that I'm having with my "older generation" VHs (and the main reason why I'm buying new skates) is that they're already soft after a year and a couple months:

EarctMA.jpg

XeLPjS8.jpg

Edited by mc88

Verbero's skates are coming out Aug 26th. Looks like they are similar to VH. Someone needs to get a pair of those and tell us how they compare to VH.

I think a few things will separate VH from the Verbero skates. This will put them into a different "range" as far as purchasing decisions go.

- The Verbero skate is not custom. They are offering an array of senior sizes from 6 to 11 (with half sizes), and only in a single width (D).

- The Verbero skate appears to be using a proprietary holder and runner. I haven't seen them in person or in action, but from a replacement standpoint and possibly a durability concern, I'd rather have a Bauer, CCM, Easton or even Graf runner on my "elite" skates.

- A "button" tongue also causes me concern from a durability prospective. Again, haven't seen it in person, but buttons are a bit finicky as soon as they get hit, bent or slightly damaged. I'd have to see it.

The skate has a similar aesthetic look with the carbon, but aside from that departs in it's own direction.

The biggest downside that I'm having with my "older generation" VHs (and the main reason why I'm switching) is that they're already soft after a year and a couple months:

EarctMA.jpg

XeLPjS8.jpg

What do they look like on your foot?

Standing on the inside edges when straight up. When I get into my stance (low and wide), extreme inside edges. In fact, when I've tried to stand up (from being knocked down, tripped, catching edge...etc), at least once per game, my feet will just slide out from underneath me. Almost like I'm standing up on the bottom-inside of the holder or runner. I just had the runners freshly sharpened, so I know they're not the culprit.

I've also recently switched to waxed laces because the boots were becoming super loose throughout a game. This past game, they definitely felt snug with the waxed laces throughout the game, but they still lacked that overall ankle support. I'm not a heavy dude, 5'8" 155lbs, so these boots shouldn't have softened up so quickly.

Standing on the inside edges when straight up. When I get into my stance (low and wide), extreme inside edges. In fact, when I've tried to stand up (from being knocked down, tripped, catching edge...etc), at least once per game, my feet will just slide out from underneath me. Almost like I'm standing up on the bottom-inside of the holder or runner. I just had the runners freshly sharpened, so I know they're not the culprit.

I've also recently switched to waxed laces because the boots were becoming super loose throughout a game. This past game, they definitely felt snug with the waxed laces throughout the game, but they still lacked that overall ankle support. I'm not a heavy dude, 5'8" 155lbs, so these boots shouldn't have softened up so quickly.

Now this is just me, but seems like the measurement around the ankle may have been slightly generous and therefore has more of a wrap then needed. Not saying for sure but kind of sounds a bit like that. Also I have found if you have a wide foot you can not let the blades get as low as maybe you would in a stock wide skate. because they are made to your actual foot some are a little to wide in the forefront and allow the side to bottom out. I have put in lifts for guys with that issue. That and change the blade maybe a tad sooner than normal.

They had to do modifications for Blake Wheeler because of the width of his forefoot. It's discussed here in one of the VH feature videos.

Just placed the order and paid for mine.

I've struggled with skates that fit right for years due to my huge feet.

In trainers I'm a US 15 or 14 BUT a D width.

I've been in Vapor X90's 12D for the last couple of years, but these have caused both my feet to develop bunions, The Graf 705 size 13 I had before that gave me crippling lace bite. After all the good stuff I've read on here, it seemed like a pair which were actually made to my feet was a no brainer.

I went for....

Clarino Liner

Enhanced Metatarsal Guard on Thick felt tongue with number stitching

One piece Flexible tendon guard

Number on Heel

Coated toe cap

Requested reinforcement around toebox

Comfort Edge

Built in shot blockers

Ls Edge & Ls 3 steel

Colour wise I must admit, I was a bit boring and just requested Black; never want to give yourself anything that makes you stand out (white gloves or skated for example)! Plus I just LOVE the classy old-schoolness of an all black skate; My first decent skates were a pair of these... (Well the 4000, but close enough!)

bauer_supreme_5000.jpg

Anyway. Pics to follow.

CAN'T WAIT - Although I;m gonna get stung on import tax and duty here in the UK

Now this is just me, but seems like the measurement around the ankle may have been slightly generous and therefore has more of a wrap then needed. Not saying for sure but kind of sounds a bit like that. Also I have found if you have a wide foot you can not let the blades get as low as maybe you would in a stock wide skate. because they are made to your actual foot some are a little to wide in the forefront and allow the side to bottom out. I have put in lifts for guys with that issue. That and change the blade maybe a tad sooner than normal.

I'm curious, what's different between a generous ankle measurement with more wrap than needed and 55-Flex? Isn't that exactly what 55-Flex does?

Skated in my VH for the first time yesterday. Felt mostly great, except that it felt like I couldn't get my heel all the way down. I put in my yellow superfeet and that feeling went away but then the skate felt too loose. So I went ahead and trimmed the heel part of the red insole and now everything fits great.

I still have quite a bit of difficulty getting the skates on and off because the wrap is so good though, but I can spot hear that and pull it out a bit.

Played my first game in my new skates. Felt really good, especially once they warmed up a bit and formed a little bit more to my feet.

The one issue I had was that I could feel the "seam" on the back of the skate rubbing on my achilles tendon area. I figured it was just something that would break in a bit with use. It wasn't until I got my feet back out that I saw why there was so much pressure there.

gvVXEbL.jpg

I'll have to email them and find out what to do about this. I assume they'll just tell me to glue it down and suggest the correct type of glue to use. But we'll see.

OptimusReim, is that piece that let go from your liner is it ripped? Hopefully you can just re-glue it before it rips any farther if that is the case. But I still would be more than a little upset if it was my skate.

Edited by SpideyDiG

He actually asked if I had used a shoe horn while baking (which I had).

Rob gave me the name of a glue I should use to glue it back in, and said if I still have issues I can send them in for repair. (I confirmed that they would accept them for repair even after I attempted the fix myself).

Laser: do you use a shoehorn every time you put your skates on?

That's the whole area I wish they would rework design and construction-wise. It sounds like the skates are still selling better and better, but I imagine the junction of the heel/achilles turns some people off.

My skates are going on 2 years now and I never had that problem. I used a shoehorn during the baking process as recommended, but never after that. I do unlace the top 3 eyelets and really loosen the laces before putting them on or taking them off. It just seems like common sense to me to do so on such a rigid form-fitting skate.

That's a little worrisome to me as a potential buyer. I've never used shoe horns when baking skates and never had that problem.

@larry54, how is the stiffness compared to a top of the line Bauer or CCM? Are they still pretty stiff compared to how much you play. I'm on the ice once a week if that with school/work and ice times here.

Hoping if I order they'll last a good many years before replacing or moving to something different

You will want to use a shoe horn when baking VH skates. They have some videos on their site of the baking process.

And I agree, absolutely common sense to loosen the skates more than you might otherwise due to the wrap.

No big deal, I'll just use the glue he suggested and problem solved.