Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Utterkaos94

Most protective shin guards?

Shin guards  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I’m looking to get a new pair of shin guards and am having some trouble deciding. I was originally looking at a set of Bauers, but I’ve heard some people have had durability issues with them. I tend to block shots frequently, and have had knee problems so I need good knee protection. Any ideas on what top of the line shin guards would be the most protective?

I've used HD1's for 2+ years, they've recently started cracking in some areas. I block a fair number of shots, and never had an injury issue. They wont last forever, but for the protection they've offered I feel I got my money's worth.

Out of what you have listed I'd shy away from the 1X.  While light they haven't been as protective for me as my APX2's were.  

Been in Reebok 20K pro for a couple years and love them. When I need new shins, I will definitely be staying in this line. No rush to change tho- the 20K Pros are holding up fine and have been tanks.

• Like 1

1S shins actually have an extra layer of foam between the Curv shin cap and the liner, so I normally recommend those for top protection

Tacks/Reebok/CCM Pro Stock hands down.

Anything with the legacy Jofa JDP shell will get you as close to skating tank status as possible imo. 

Edited by Cavs019
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Stryker said:

1S shins actually have an extra layer of foam between the Curv shin cap and the liner, so I normally recommend those for top protection

I have a pair of 1S shins and they are awesome. I can't speak to the CCM stuff, but the I highly recommend the 1S shins. 

5 hours ago, Stryker said:

Agreed.  I think the Curv outer layer plus the closer fit from this new Powerlite design makes them very compelling plus Flex Orb for the knee protection.  Generally the supremes have been pretty underrated the last few years IMO.

Not on the list, but I have had QLT 290s for  a little over a year and the calf strap on one shin guard ripped in two spots and had to be sewn & taped.

They are ok, and do their job. I've had varying levels of shinguards from various brands and never felt like any were more or less protective. Outside of shattering when a puck hits them, which I assume even $20 shinguards dont do, I don't know  how any are more or less protective. 

Been using Jofa to RBK to Tacks shins now and have not been disappointed in the protection. If it fits your body well, I would stay with that line for the most protection. But I would definitely try them first with skates on to make sure they fit well. Having the most protective shins that don’t fit well are useless.

Edited by yipperzz