Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
DarkStar50

When the rink reopens are you going to skate immediately?

Dave Miller, I agree with your stepping back given all the personal circumstances. I did elder care for 5 years for the in-laws. Serious stuff that has emergencies pop up when you least expect them.

Over the last year or so, given my age, my game has slipped more than a bit ! The older I get, the faster I was. That said, if I was in my prime I know I would be jonesing to play. Now it's just not the first priority. Never thought I would feel this way, just my current perspective. As you read so many times about the real pros retired, it's the locker room fun I miss the most right now. I would go to the rink just for that fun in the parking lot now. 

Stay safe boys and keep sharing what is happening in your corner of the hockey world.

• Like 1

We're supposed to be able to start up on July 7th.  I'm older but healthy and plan on getting back on the ice immediately.

10 hours ago, DarkStar50 said:

Dave Miller, I agree with your stepping back given all the personal circumstances. I did elder care for 5 years for the in-laws. Serious stuff that has emergencies pop up when you least expect them.

Over the last year or so, given my age, my game has slipped more than a bit ! The older I get, the faster I was. That said, if I was in my prime I know I would be jonesing to play. Now it's just not the first priority. Never thought I would feel this way, just my current perspective. As you read so many times about the real pros retired, it's the locker room fun I miss the most right now. I would go to the rink just for that fun in the parking lot now. 

Stay safe boys and keep sharing what is happening in your corner of the hockey world.

Yeah, hard to fathom the risk but after losing over 21 lbs I'm dying to serif I'm any faster now!!!!  Oh well.

Just did a deep dive into NY's planning documents and I don't see hockey here coming anytime soon anyway.

Here is the full document:  https://www.governor.ny.gov/sites/governor.ny.gov/files/atoms/files/SportsAndRecreationMasterGuidance.pdf

Hockey is a "level 3 high risk sport."  Effective July 6, 2020 in regions that have reached or surpassed Phase 3 of the State’s reopening and in accordance with this guidance, participants in lower and moderate risk sports and recreation activities may partake in all types of play, except competitive tournaments requiring travel. Participants in higher risk sports and recreation activities may only partake in individual or distanced group training and organized no/low-contact group training.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2020 at 9:10 PM, dkmiller3356 said:

I also have my 86 year old mother in law living in my house.

If that were mine, it would be a reason to go back to playing ASAP😁

• Haha 1

On 6/22/2020 at 4:53 PM, sectachrome said:

My rink is starting up beer league again in early July. As much as I miss it and want to be playing, I told my team I'm good. The only changes they are making are not allowing spectators and cleaning the locker rooms after every game. With cases starting to spike again, I wouldnt stand next to 10 guys in the grocery store without masks on no less play hockey with them. I'm a little jealous of the people who are playing again and am glad the rink is getting some $ again, but no thanks. I would probably go to a stick and puck though since I can pretty much keep to myself.

For beer league games, we hardly have any spectators. I don't even think they put in a rule to limit spectators for that generally accepted fact.

Edited by caveman27

Our league canceled the remainder of the 2019-20 winter season. People can apply a discount to upcoming seasons.

We are starting summer season on July 13. Up to 8 players allowed in the locker room, I guess to allow at least the goalie to suit up, and everyone suits up in the lobby with the expectation you arrive most suited up. Only one allowed in the penalty box and a shoot out for penalties when there's one guy in the box already. They are expanding the benches so we aren't too close to each other.  And anyone using the locker rooms have to be out 15 minutes after a game is done, no showers. I knew this one teammate from a previous team who unsuited faster than anyone else. He was out the door about the time I got the tape off my socks.

Edited by caveman27

21 hours ago, caveman27 said:

Our league canceled the remainder of the 2019-20 winter season. People can apply a discount to upcoming seasons.

We are starting summer season on July 13. Up to 8 players allowed in the locker room, I guess to allow at least the goalie to suit up, and everyone suits up in the lobby with the expectation you arrive most suited up. Only one allowed in the penalty box and a shoot out for penalties when there's one guy in the box already. They are expanding the benches so we aren't too close to each other.  And anyone using the locker rooms have to be out 15 minutes after a game is done, no showers. I knew this one teammate from a previous team who unsuited faster than anyone else. He was out the door about the time I got the tape off my socks.

We had a guy who was like that. And in jeans, no less. In shorts I could see it but getting into jeans while sweaty would be so awful.

I don’t shower after games anyway, I just go home and shower.

I had the opportunity to play pickup last night and passed it up. Not sure it’s worth the risk at this point especially with the way the numbers are skyrocketing seemingly faster than they were before the initial shutdown. 

On 6/27/2020 at 1:18 PM, caveman27 said:

I would highly recommend people to get refunds instead of credits, if they are being offered (which they should be).  Not just in hockey, but with everything.  It would not surprise me if companies start to file for bankruptcy.  If that happens, the general patron will have a very hard time getting their money back.

7 hours ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

I would highly recommend people to get refunds instead of credits, if they are being offered (which they should be).  Not just in hockey, but with everything.  It would not surprise me if companies start to file for bankruptcy.  If that happens, the general patron will have a very hard time getting their money back.

Yeah Ticketmaster at first was only giving credit for shows cancelled but not shows that were postponed. Public pressure persuaded them to give full refunds to everyone. Problem w rinks is they are all individual. 

Edited by SirJW

Well, the rink closest to my house just closed permanently and now that I don’t have a spot at the other rink, I now officially have nowhere to play. I guess I’m done playing hockey.

• Sad 1

I've been playing outdoor inline for a while now. I'm in Brooklyn. We got hit really hard in March and April, but numbers are way down here thankfully. I play with a group of guys in our mid 20s to early 30s. Most of us are back at work and have kids in camp already. With all those factors in play I thought it was ok to play outdoors. Not sure about indoor

Just got an email from another local rink that they’re in big trouble and will likely be shutting down if they don’t get county assistance. So, that’s 3 of the 5 sheets locally that would be gone. 

4 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Just got an email from another local rink that they’re in big trouble and will likely be shutting down if they don’t get county assistance. So, that’s 3 of the 5 sheets locally that would be gone. 

Bummer. SD County correct, what rinks?

Edited by SirJW

1 hour ago, SirJW said:

Bummer. SD County correct, what rinks?

Ice-Plex Escondido is shut down permanently, and that email I mentioned is from San Diego Ice Arena (Mira Mesa). Carlsbad is where I was playing on a team. 

• Sad 1

Adult Hockey in Mass was supposed to restart 2-3 weeks ago. The day before it was to re-open, the reclassified it as a "high risk sport" (or some similar wording), and now there's no timeline for restarting. But, there are other things restarting that have similar contact and close breathing as adult hockey. 

I have low grade asthma, and I'm real on the fence about playing. Along with going to shitty punk shows, playing hockey is my favorite thing. It sucks not playing. Mass has done a better job with quarantine and limiting cases than other states, but there is still that risk. If I have a nagging injury I've gotten better about skipping a game or two to let it heal. But, then metal juggling of not playing in case something happens is different. If it was just managing a super bad flu for a few weeks, I'd be down. But, the danger of long term lung scarring is scary AF. Thankfully the fine folks in big government have taken the decision out of my hands. 

On 6/28/2020 at 3:13 PM, shoot_the_goalie said:

I know at least two leagues around Boston that closed. I think one had been in financial trouble a while, and felt like a league where guys just showed up for the challenge of playing drunk and fighting while wearing skates. Sounds like some teams had paid for summer and were left losing their deposit. The other league I played in on two teams, and our spring season got cancelled mid way. We were told they'd credit the games we lost towards future seasons. But, since the league folded, I think I'm out half a seasons's payment for two teams, so essentially the cost of a full season. 

I play in another "league" that essentially organizes pick up games with refs around the Boston area. All the stuff they have cancelled has been an immediate refund. Hopefully the can keep making it work. 

It's a frustrating combo of seeing small businesses fail, and also people losing access to an activity that they like. 

30 minutes ago, start_today said:

It's a frustrating combo of seeing small businesses fail, and also people losing access to an activity that they like. 

It's EXTREMELY frustrating, especially now that we're seeing businesses shut down not because of the virus but because of the morons refusing to wear masks and do social distancing. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

It's EXTREMELY frustrating, especially now that we're seeing businesses shut down not because of the virus but because of the morons refusing to wear masks and do social distancing. 

Yeah, America’s war on America is....unfortunate...

4 hours ago, start_today said:

Adult Hockey in Mass was supposed to restart 2-3 weeks ago. The day before it was to re-open, the reclassified it as a "high risk sport" (or some similar wording), and now there's no timeline for restarting. But, there are other things restarting that have similar contact and close breathing as adult hockey. 

I have low grade asthma, and I'm real on the fence about playing. Along with going to shitty punk shows, playing hockey is my favorite thing. It sucks not playing. Mass has done a better job with quarantine and limiting cases than other states, but there is still that risk. If I have a nagging injury I've gotten better about skipping a game or two to let it heal. But, then metal juggling of not playing in case something happens is different. If it was just managing a super bad flu for a few weeks, I'd be down. But, the danger of long term lung scarring is scary AF. Thankfully the fine folks in big government have taken the decision out of my hands. 

With my health issues I feel the same way.  Hockey is listed as High Risk in NY as well.