Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
pucks_putts

Hyperlite skates… live up to the hype?

Recommended Posts

Curious about these skates. There seems to be a trend towards adding flex to skates. For those of you who’ve been on them for a bit now do the flexible heel area and facing make a difference? Is it noticeable? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, pucks_putts said:

Curious about these skates. There seems to be a trend towards adding flex to skates. For those of you who’ve been on them for a bit now do the flexible heel area and facing make a difference? Is it noticeable? 

Most of the customers/players I know who got them said they are decent, but have swapped to other skates or switched back to their previous skate. I tested them and they seem ok. Nothing special or significant stood out to me. 

Positives:

  • Updated lacing system allow for more forward flex
  • Updated liner and foams are nicer than previous generations

Negatives:

  • Carbon Curv doesn't seem durable, many of the Hyperlite skates that come into the shop are in bad shape. 
  • Updated tongue has a very stiff insert that many people find uncomfortable 
  • Carbonlite runner (optional) is trash. Stay away from it. 

Neutal: 

  • Updated outsole is supposed to allow more flexion and torsional flex. I did not notice this when testing them. 
  • Skate is supposedly lighter than previous generations. While it does weigh less than the 2X Pro, its heavier than the 1X. We are talking about a very small margin, so that that with a grain of salt. 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Beerleaguebumhockey said:

 

Really nice review! You do a great job. Gonna have to subscribe now! 

I kinda already knew the carbonlite runner was gonna be a gimmick. I’ve been on True’s for a couple years so weight is actually the least of my concerns. I am mostly curious about the flex facing/lacing and the flexible heel of the outsole. Those are the two most intriguing things to me. 

I’ve historically been a “stiffer is better” kind of guy but recently have been seeing that flex in skates is a hot topic. I barely tie my True’s these days and have felt noticeably better for it. I’m now going down the rabbit hole… 😅 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, pucks_putts said:

Really nice review! You do a great job. Gonna have to subscribe now! 

I kinda already knew the carbonlite runner was gonna be a gimmick. I’ve been on True’s for a couple years so weight is actually the least of my concerns. I am mostly curious about the flex facing/lacing and the flexible heel of the outsole. Those are the two most intriguing things to me. 

I’ve historically been a “stiffer is better” kind of guy but recently have been seeing that flex in skates is a hot topic. I barely tie my True’s these days and have felt noticeably better for it. I’m now going down the rabbit hole… 😅 

i appreciate that 🙂 yeah total gimmick I think everyone saw it coming lol I am the same always thought clamping my foot in with no flex was ideal but noticed that as my skates loosened my skating improved so now I leave them loose and enjoy the flex in the hyperlite. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/21/2021 at 11:07 PM, PBH said:

Most of the customers/players I know who got them said they are decent, but have swapped to other skates or switched back to their previous skate. I tested them and they seem ok. Nothing special or significant stood out to me. 

Positives:

  • Updated lacing system allow for more forward flex
  • Updated liner and foams are nicer than previous generations

Negatives:

  • Carbon Curv doesn't seem durable, many of the Hyperlite skates that come into the shop are in bad shape. 
  • Updated tongue has a very stiff insert that many people find uncomfortable 
  • Carbonlite runner (optional) is trash. Stay away from it. 

Neutal: 

  • Updated outsole is supposed to allow more flexion and torsional flex. I did not notice this when testing them. 
  • Skate is supposedly lighter than previous generations. While it does weigh less than the 2X Pro, its heavier than the 1X. We are talking about a very small margin, so that that with a grain of salt. 

 

Have you tried or heard feedback about the Jetspeed FT4 pro?  How does it compare to these Hyperlite's?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/22/2021 at 12:07 AM, PBH said:

Negatives:

  • Carbon Curv doesn't seem durable, many of the Hyperlite skates that come into the shop are in bad shape.

What specifically about durability?  I'm not seeing any degradation of the stiffness, just the graphics, which always seems to plague the Vapor line.  Supreme Curve graphics always seem to hold up better over time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was chatting to someone who has a pair. They’ve been back to Bauer UK three times, he hates them. The holders were misaligned, the shells damage easily, and the sides of the tongues are hard and dig into his feet causing pain. Pretty much matches the comments by PBH. 

Edited by Leif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/22/2021 at 6:07 PM, PBH said:

Most of the customers/players I know who got them said they are decent, but have swapped to other skates or switched back to their previous skate. I tested them and they seem ok. Nothing special or significant stood out to me. 

Have you had any skaters get you to work on the toe box height (where the tongue slides under) and was it successful? I can wear a Fit 1 but the toe box is really tight on the top of the foot and I'm considering trying to lift it a little. Other than using a wedge I'm kind of lost how to do it as none of the usual tools really apply.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Leif said:

I was chatting to someone who has a pair. They’ve been back to Bauer UK three times, he hates them. The holders were misaligned, the shells damage easily, and the sides of the tongues are hard and dig into his feet causing pain. Pretty much matches the comments by PBH. 

One pair in the United Kingdom doesn't even qualify as a sample size.  I see many and I'm only seeing the graphics being trashed.

9 minutes ago, Vet88 said:

Have you had any skaters get you to work on the toe box height (where the tongue slides under) and was it successful? I can wear a Fit 1 but the toe box is really tight on the top of the foot and I'm considering trying to lift it a little. Other than using a wedge I'm kind of lost how to do it as none of the usual tools really apply.

I'd see if you can reach out to Joe @CustomSkateWorks.  He's the expert on toecap manipulation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, mojo122 said:

One pair in the United Kingdom doesn't even qualify as a sample size.  I see many and I'm only seeing the graphics being trashed.

I agree that one sample doesn’t say much, but I was adding to the comment by PBH who does see lots. I handled them, and the tongue was very hard, I can see that would be a pain point for some. FWIW I’ve never heard complaints about other Bauer skates or True customs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been on them now for prob a month or so, skate often, 10 hours a week. 
While I can't say I notice anything about the flex stuff, I can agree with the "not tying them so tight, is better" sentiment. And these are comfy... really light. So far I must say I love them. I hope they stand up.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/24/2021 at 9:29 AM, hawk11 said:

Have you tried or heard feedback about the Jetspeed FT4 pro?  How does it compare to these Hyperlite's?

 

Ive tried everything. One of the benefits of owning a hockey shop 😉 

TLDR: I prefer the FT4 Pro over the Hyperlite. However, I think the 100K is better than them both. I actually like the FT4 more than the FT4 Pro though as the slightly lower stiffness allows the boot to flex a little more. 

  • The FT4 Pro and Hyperlite are very different.
  • FT4 Pro is very stiff, considerably stiffer than the Hyperlite all over. 
  • More forward flex in the Hyperlite than the FT4 Pro.
  • FT4 Pro is significantly more responsive.
  • Weight is about the same with standard steel. With the Carbonlite option, the Hyperlite is significantly lighter. I did not like the Carbonlite though. 
  •  FT4 Pro foams seem better than the Hyperlite, I feel they actually mold better to your feet.
  • Hyperlite didn't lock me in as well as the FT4 Pro. I like the liner better on the FT4 Pro, I would feel my heel slip slightly on hard pushes in the Hyperlite. I assume the monoframe boot also contributes to better fit. 
  • I didn't notice the fancy new outsole on the Hyperlite. Maybe because I used Flare instead of typical steel but the implied design of the new Hyperlite outsole was supposed to allow for more flexion and thus more grip. I felt nothing different or new. 
  • I didn't like the Hyperlite tongue. The tongue insert was painful for me. No lacebite, just overall was not comfortable and when in a deep knee bend I felt like it was digging into my forefoot. 
  • I also prefer the interchangeable tongue of the FT4 Pro. 

 

Edited by PBH
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PBH has a wealth of info, so it's always good to get the first hand insight.

However one thing should not to forgotten: to each his own. I tried 2 different versions of 100K pro, and found it to be the worst skate I've ever had. There just wasn't any way to make that particular model fit my feet even via customs, so they felt uncomfortable and the performance was way worse than 10 year old custom NXGs.

I also wonder re pro versions of Hyperlite: doesn't look like any pros actually use the stock outsole with that plastic piece under the heel? It's one of the selling features of the skate but it is actually a marketing gimmick? 

Also I seriously wonder re protection level of Hyperlite: the area where the boot connects to the toe cap the side walls seem extra thin, and can easily bend when pressed on with fingers? I can only imagine how nasty it'd feel if one caught a puck off that area?

and personally I'm still puzzled about how this whole forward flex works since I feel like I have way more forward flex in custom Trues, which are pretty stiff, than in retail 100K. 

 

Edited by SolarWind

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SolarWind said:

PBH has a wealth of info, so it's always good to get the first hand insight.

However one thing should not to forgotten: to each his own. I tried 2 different versions of 100K pro, and found it to be the worst skate I've ever had. There just wasn't any way to make that particular model fit my feet even via customs, so they felt uncomfortable and the performance was way worse than 10 year old custom NXGs.

I also wonder re pro versions of Hyperlite: doesn't look like any pros actually use the stock outsole with that plastic piece under the heel? It's one of the selling features of the skate but it is actually a marketing gimmick? 

Also I seriously wonder re protection level of Hyperlite: the area where the boot connects to the toe cap the side walls seem extra thin, and can easily bend when pressed on with fingers? I can only imagine how nasty it'd feel if one caught a puck off that area?

and personally I'm still puzzled about how this whole forward flex works since I feel like I have way more forward flex in custom Trues, which are pretty stiff, than in retail 100K. 

 

TRUE skates are stiff laterally, but they allow for lots of forward flexion in the way the boot and eyelets are designed. I rarely ever compare TRUE to anything else because while they might not look significantly different overall, the actual implementation of very subtle changes is quite dramatic. I consider that their "special sauce." 

Agree 100% that what works for me, maybe not work for others. What works for others may not work for me. I can only share what I know first hand and have experienced. YMMV. 

I have had only had one person get 100K skates (custom or retail) and dislike them. This is compared to many people who have purchased the Hyperlite skates and had significant regret and later swapped back to their previous skates or to some other model. It seems like they either work for the player or don't, there is not a middle ground. 

I can also share that I had a customer recently purchase custom Hyperlite skates with standard eyelets, full lock fit liner, with a standard tongue. He was very happy with them. He previously had Vapor 1X skates with standard eyelets and he said the Hyperlite felt "like home" for his feet. He is about 0.5 size larger than me and I was able to test his skates and the standard options he selected felt much better to me than the retail model. 

Again, everyone is different. Some like the injected eyelets, some don't. Some like the new tongue, others won't. Some will like the new outsole design, others may find no benefit. 

I think the direction Bauer is going with the Vapor is interesting. I like that they are trying out new ideas. However, I think some of these implementations yield little benefit and are more "show" as opposed to actual innovations in skate engineering dynamics. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, SolarWind said:

I also wonder re pro versions of Hyperlite: doesn't look like any pros actually use the stock outsole with that plastic piece under the heel? It's one of the selling features of the skate but it is actually a marketing gimmick? 

They are using the stock outsole.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, PBH said:

I think the direction Bauer is going with the Vapor is interesting. I like that they are trying out new ideas. However, I think some of these implementations yield little benefit and are more "show" as opposed to actual innovations in skate engineering dynamics. 

Interestingly enough this is something that quite a few in the online community are wondering about: is Bauer focusing on flashy objects and forgetting true innovation?!

Arguably One95 was the last breakthrough, and even that wasn’t all Bauer since Curv composite was supposedly developed by Samsonite. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, SolarWind said:

Interestingly enough this is something that quite a few in the online community are wondering about: is Bauer focusing on flashy objects and forgetting true innovation?!

Arguably One95 was the last breakthrough, and even that wasn’t all Bauer since Curv composite was supposedly developed by Samsonite. 

 

Technically, Curv was made by Propex Fabrics GmbH. 

https://materialdistrict.com/material/curv/

Regardless, I tend to think that is the case with not just Bauer, but a lot of brands.

For example: FT2 vs FT4 Pro. AS3 Pro vs AS-V Pro skate. Ultrasonic vs Mach. Etc. They all have the same genetics, just minor refinements. Look at Connor and some other NHL players, arguably some of the best players in the world are using skates that are generations old. 

We might be at a point where the biggest improvements are going to come from changed to the holders and steel. Look at Flare, Carbonlite, Bladetech, Byonic, Marsblade... or perhaps the evolution of steel profiling. 

Bauer obviously bought ProSharp for a reason. Yes? 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You don’t have to invent a material to innovate with it.  The vast majority of companies are leveraging tech developed by outside orgs and creating products with them.  Invention and innovation aren’t synonymous, just look at the Segway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BenBreeg said:

You don’t have to invent a material to innovate with it.  The vast majority of companies are leveraging tech developed by outside orgs and creating products with them.  Invention and innovation aren’t synonymous, just look at the Segway.

Agreed. I was merely pointing out that Samsonite nor Bauer invented Curv. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There’s a massive opening for innovation in my mind, using only tried and true materials already common in the market. The problem is rather traditionalism, on the consumer side showing itself in the reluctance to try new or different looking things, on the manufacturers’ side showing itself in the incredible degree of clustering around selected archetypes in each category. There’s symmetry in those two dancing that way, product market fit in a less exciting form.

Still, once in a while something innovative breaks through: Graf’s 700 series, Micron Air 90, N/B’s one90 (I don’t see much innovation in the one95), SVH boots, Easton Mako gloves...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to derail too much but the key to innovation isn’t just the solution, it’s identifying the problem to solve.  So I wonder what are the key problems for different pieces of equipment that actually need addressed?  Does it actually matter if they keep shaving fractions of ounces off skates?  I still think there is opportunity for helping improve fit.  I think profiling has promise and has made incremental strides but at this point has not been implemented well.  Very little data, no ability to actually match the correct profile to a skater.  More curve options for sticks without custom prices, available on more price points would be pretty big to some people.  Other than that I don’t know.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2021 at 7:54 PM, SolarWind said:

 

I also wonder re pro versions of Hyperlite: doesn't look like any pros actually use the stock outsole with that plastic piece under the heel? It's one of the selling features of the skate but it is actually a marketing gimmick? 

 

I had an interesting discussion with someone from Bauer a month or so ago. He told me that about 70% of the pros wearing hyperlites this year are actually wearing 2Xpro's with a hyperlite aesthetics package. Some are still using the 2Xpro graphics, which won't be offered after the 2021-2022 season. His point was that the pros find something that works and they don't like change. For me, it says a lot about the real life advantages of hyperlite features.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/5/2021 at 2:08 AM, BenBreeg said:

Not to derail too much but the key to innovation isn’t just the solution, it’s identifying the problem to solve.  So I wonder what are the key problems for different pieces of equipment that actually need addressed?  Does it actually matter if they keep shaving fractions of ounces off skates?  I still think there is opportunity for helping improve fit.  I think profiling has promise and has made incremental strides but at this point has not been implemented well.  Very little data, no ability to actually match the correct profile to a skater.  

Agree, fit is still an issue that brands are trying to improve upon. This is at all levels, not just retail. A better fitting skate will have better power transfer and have decreased reaction time on the ice. All brands have their own pros and cons. 

Equipment weight savings do matter, especially in skates. I am sure we will eventually see weight removed in better ways from skate blades as they are the single heaviest object on a skate. How will this be accomplished? I don't know. If I knew that I would be rich... There is a delicate balance between removing weight and compromising structural integrity.

We also need to keep in mind, all of this needs to be accomplished while also trying to keep pricing reasonable. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dunno, I would have to see some data.  Only the weight of one blade/holder comes into play for a portion of the stride and one on recovery, depends on how you would segment the whole process, so again, % and diminishing returns.  Without data I can't really say how much it contributes to performance per ounce or however you want to measure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...