Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
pucks_putts

Anyone try the Powerfly holders yet?

8 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

It does make sense. Essentially the mounting area is a different size, ie, the edge holders have a larger (or longer) mounting area vs the powerfly. 

I checked LS Edge holder vs PowerFly holders at the store and the PowerFly holder is actually slightly longer than the LS Edge. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/27/2023 at 1:03 AM, VegasHockey said:

I checked LS Edge holder vs PowerFly holders at the store and the PowerFly holder is actually slightly longer than the LS Edge. 

Interesting. Then that means my first scan led to a smaller boot which led to me dropping down to a 280mm holder. Hmm.

7 hours ago, dkmiller3356 said:

will my STEP steel work with the new holder?

I have seen some players use a dremel to widen the parabolic channel in the middle of the holder, so they could use their old steel. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, VegasHockey said:

I have seen some players use a dremel to widen the parabolic channel in the middle of the holder, so they could use their old steel. 

Bad idea.  If you have Step or a bunch of other steel for LS Edge holders just stick with that holder.  

On 6/7/2023 at 8:21 AM, mcne0101 said:

These look like an updated version of the old Mission holders from the early 2000's.

The Flyweights...Powerfly--Flyweight--Powerfly.  Could be on to something here.

Edited by MyBoxersSayJoe

2 hours ago, MyBoxersSayJoe said:

The Flyweights...Powerfly--Flyweight--Powerfly.  Could be on to something here.

More emphasis on the “weight” than the “fly” in Mission’s Drive Shaft holder. Bauer already plundered the Flyweight look with the Vapor 1X.

On 6/3/2023 at 10:36 PM, VegasHockey said:

They are significantly stiffer than the LS Edge holder. 

Yeah, but still no way near the stiffness of the Easton CXN holder..

Which means i still have to search eBay weekly to grow my stock of sz 7 CXN holders and steel.. 

On 6/30/2023 at 8:28 AM, mojo122 said:

Bad idea.  If you have Step or a bunch of other steel for LS Edge holders just stick with that holder.  

Seemed to work for those players I know who played D1 and Major Junior. 

That being said, yes, it's not ideal, and I would not do it myself to my own holders. YMMV.

On 6/29/2023 at 1:08 PM, VegasHockey said:

I did this with a set of powerfly holders. I used a dremel and widened out the channel. Turned out great no issues.

IMG_5006.jpeg

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, mojo122 said:

Not worth the potential long term issues. Just get new steel. 

Wouldn't swapping the holders out be the best and most logical solution? 

4 hours ago, stick9 said:

Wouldn't swapping thees e holders out be the best and most logical solution? 

Yes, you could do that if you are not interested in the stiffer front tower that the PowerFly holder offers.  

On 8/16/2023 at 7:34 AM, mojo122 said:

Not worth the potential long term issues. Just get new steel. 

Yup. Agreed. Also, powerfly holders are substantially more expensive too. 

15 hours ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

Also, totally subjective, but the PowerFly feels like noticeably lower quality plastic than the edge

Everything these days are lower in quality, and higher in price. 

2 hours ago, Sniper9 said:

Everything these days are lower in quality, and higher in price. 

Haven't we done this before.... Needless to say, I disagree.

Edited by stick9

On 8/18/2023 at 8:01 PM, Buzz_LightBeer said:

Also, totally subjective, but the PowerFly feels like noticeably lower quality plastic than the edge

If someone wants to test the plastic doing the following and write a white paper, I would read it:

Tensile Testing:** Tensile testing is the most common method for determining the strength of plastic materials. In this test, a sample of the plastic is subjected to an increasing load (tensile force) until it reaches its breaking point. The key parameters measured include tensile strength (maximum load the plastic can bear), yield strength (point at which the plastic begins to deform), and elongation at break (how much the plastic stretches before breaking).

Flexural Testing:** Flexural testing, also known as bending testing, assesses a plastic's resistance to bending forces. A sample is subjected to a three-point or four-point bending load, and parameters like flexural strength and flexural modulus are measured. This test is useful for assessing a plastic's performance in applications involving bending or flexing.

Impact Testing:** Impact testing evaluates a plastic's ability to withstand sudden impact or shock loads. The most common method is the Izod or Charpy test, where a notched sample is struck by a pendulum, and the energy absorbed during fracture is measured. This provides insight into the plastic's toughness and impact resistance.

Compression Testing:** Compression tests involve applying a compressive load to a plastic sample to determine its compressive strength and modulus. This is useful for assessing a plastic's behavior under compressive loads, such as in applications involving stacking or crushing.

Hardness Testing:** Hardness tests measure a plastic's resistance to indentation or scratching. Common hardness tests for plastics include Rockwell, Shore, and Vickers tests. Hardness can provide an indication of a plastic's resistance to wear and deformation.

Shear Testing:** Shear testing assesses a plastic's resistance to forces that cause sliding or internal deformation. Shear strength and shear modulus are important parameters in applications where plastic parts experience sliding or shearing forces.

Creep Testing:** Creep testing evaluates a plastic's behavior under constant load over an extended period. It helps determine how much the plastic deforms over time when subjected to a constant stress, which is crucial for applications where long-term stability is significant.

Fatigue Testing:** Fatigue testing involves subjecting a plastic sample to cyclic loading to assess its durability and resistance to repeated stress cycles. This is significant for applications where plastic components experience cyclic loading over time.

CCM bought STEP a few years ago.  I don't see a market for a new holder.  After all, how many players in the NHL wearing Trues are skating with True holders?