Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fedorov#91

The Smartphone Thread

Be careful, some of the really cheap ones are junk. I have one of the old 1.0 tablets and it's pretty much useless. I like my Samsung android phone and would probably go with one of their tablets. First thing to do is to decide on what form factor (size) you want and then go from there.

+1. Honestly, if you're going to get a tablet, you might as well go with one that can do everything. I was looking for a cheap tablet, specifically the Coby ones, but I ended up getting a Moto Xoom, and I absolutely love it.

ok, thanks for the advice guys. was thinking of getting a 7 inch version so it is easier to carry around. will try a few out at the stores this weekend.

If 7", go with Kindle Fire.

Good advice!

I started with a cheap tablet and after two days bought a kindle fire. Should have done that in the first place!!!

Live and learn I guess!!

Looking to replace my aging phone. If I do it right now I am considering a iphone 4s, Galaxy S II skyrocket, LG Nitro or HTC Vivid. Option to keep using my POS phone and wait for things like Galaxy S III, Note, iphone 5 or windows phone like Titan II. Anyone that really knows what's going on with phones to enlighten me on these. Some of the sales people seem to only know how to read the product card at the stores. Oh, I mainly use it for email(personal), text, calls, little facebook and starting to do more web browsing and apps like pandora.

I would wait until after March 1st to decide - that is when http://www.mobileworldcongress.com/ is and there will most likely be many new phones announced then.

I think Samsung has already said that they won't be announcing the Galaxy SIII at Mobile World Congress because they aren't ready yet and they will hold their own event later.

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2012/020112-mwc-samsung-galaxys3-255580.html

Apple doesn't even go to MWC anymore so I'm sure they will just hold their own event when they are ready as well.

I just recently got an iPhone 4s, approximately a month or so ago, and now it won't charge to a full 100%. It's reading 91% after its been fully charged. Is this something I should be concerned with, or is it just some fault in the software of the phone? As far as I know, I'm still getting roughly one day's use per charge.

The Browser in my Samsung Galaxy S keeps crashing. I open it and it only stays open for a few seconds...goes black and I get the "Application failure" message and a Force Close option. Anyone else experiencing problems. I haven't run any updates or looked into it deeper yet. Figured I'd start here as someone usually has an answer.

Have you tried Dolphin Browser HD? I like it a lot better than the stock browser. The tabbing is really nice and has lots of swipe gestures.

I just recently got an iPhone 4s, approximately a month or so ago, and now it won't charge to a full 100%. It's reading 91% after its been fully charged. Is this something I should be concerned with, or is it just some fault in the software of the phone? As far as I know, I'm still getting roughly one day's use per charge.

There are apps that claim to maintain the battery's performance via software. For instance, I use one called Battery Doctor (green with a red plus sign) that has a maintenance cycle that is supposed to be run when the battery has dropped below 20%; somehow, they're claiming they are doing something to the settings (I think) to improve battery life.

I would do a full software restore, that should fix the problem.

All of those battery doctor-esque type apps are scams... Apple does not allow apps to edit settings crucial to the phone.

Going to be moving away from Blackberry and most likely going to an Android based phone on Verizon; suggestions?

If you're getting it soon and want a premium phone there are really only two choices. Droid Razor Maxx, or Galaxy Nexus.

From there, it depends on things like if you want to be able to customize it, if free wi-fi tethering interests you, or is maximum battery life is a big priority for you.

If you're getting it soon and want a premium phone there are really only two choices. Droid Razor Maxx, or Galaxy Nexus.

From there, it depends on things like if you want to be able to customize it, if free wi-fi tethering interests you, or is maximum battery life is a big priority for you.

Yup, gotta agree with this. A lot of people who aren't developers or phone-savvy seem to be going with the RAZR Maxx...it seems to be selling just as well as the G-Nex.

Junkyard, do some browsing on www.droid-life.com, there's a lot of good info on both phones there. I've been using that site religiously since I got my original Droid in 09

Anyone have either the Lumia 900 or HTC Titan II? Considering trying a windows phone as my phone is going haywire and don't think it will make it till summer or fall for newer android releases.

I went shopping for phones two weeks ago as I needed something with better battery life. I looked at Windows Phone hard - looked at the Titan II as the Lumia wasn't out yet. Just couldn't see myself committing to the OS - just felt it was webOS all over again in terms of failure to get traction. Walked out with an iPhone 4S.

Will still use webOS as I still have a HP Veer.