Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jds

Power Balance Bracelet

LOL I love the people trying to debunk this without actually trying it. Do what the user above me did. Buy it, try it, return it, get your money back, then let us know what you think.

I for one would love to try this. Maybe I will...

lots of golfers use this, no? it seems like an evolution of the ever popular copper bracelet.

not sure if it's been covered, but the idea behind bracelets or pendants like this is all about contact and blood flow. rock salt, copper, silver (minerals) all this stuff resonates through our body system with prolonged contact, and supposedly meant to provide inner peace ("balance", not literal), and thus more focus. more focus means a higher efficiency in any activity (sitting behind a desk working, or playing sports). it's a spiritual thing that has hit mainstream. just like yoga or qigong, if you're not into letting your soul have a voice, it wont work for you.

Jason isn't a user?

I hope not, Chadd, or the ladies' image of Daddy is going to take a big hit...

I was at the LHS, I did the test, I was amazed by the results

I truly believe it was placebo, but I bought one anyways, especially since the guy says I have 60 days...I figure use it for a few weeks and see

The easiest way to test whether it's a placebo is to redo the movements. In theory, if you KNOW it's a placebo, you now should have the confidence to perform the movements equally as well without the hologram.

However, you raise an interesting point about the difficulty of marketing this product. I will readily concede that I would have considered this hocus pocus if I had just read a display box at the store. But it all happened so quickly, I had no time to have any expectations. What I'm saying is it will be difficult for most people to have an open mind on this -- I know I wouldn't have.

The rule of common sense says that if this technology had any credibility, real companies with access to billions of dollars in R&D would have refined and exploited the concept.

We don't know whether they aren't putting their research into it, but waiting for more specific testing results before coming to market, while smaller companies are willing to sell it sooner.

While I was at that same conference, I spoke with the Chairman of Bauer, who's a good friend of my buddy, Gouche. I was going to tell him about Joe's Oggie Grips, figuring maybe he'd be willing to explore if they could somehow work together. I don't know whether he was confusing the grips with another product, because his immediate response was, "Oh, we're already working on our own version." The implication seemed to be. "We'll let others come to the market first, then we'll produce our version."

Hmm what happens if we had 2 bracelets on? Would it change the results?

You become the immovable object...

I've been wearing a Phiten necklace for a few years. I used to get slight headaches once in awhile, usually sinus-type stuff and it has gone away. Is it the Phiten necklace or is it because the placebo effect has taken its course? Doesn't matter. If I can tell my brain I'm fine because I put a neckalce on then it's worth the $30. Do you know for sure the bottled water you're drinking is cleaner than tap water? Is there really wax coming out of that car wash thing? Unless you check everything you come across in your life using the scientific method you're subject to the placebo effect.

However, you raise an interesting point about the difficulty of marketing this product. I will readily concede that I would have considered this hocus pocus if I had just read a display box at the store. But it all happened so quickly, I had no time to have any expectations. What I'm saying is it will be difficult for most people to have an open mind on this -- I know I wouldn't have.

regarding the open mind, when the guy said 'I got something to show you, it's going to blow your minds after (we were talking about superfeet)' my reply was 'ok, well give me a hint?' he said the bracelet...I said 'none of us believe in voodoo, so don't waste your time', he said you'll see

I was/am a skeptic

I did the test, and still don't want to believe the results, I still have it, and will do a few more tests before deciding if I will be returning it or not

as skeptic as I am now, I got nothing to say it works or doesn't work

as stated above, the tests I've done with balance have all been positive

I got mine months ago and wear it just for fun...I also have a MSH coffee cup, which definitely has more effect on my stability and balance...

There won't be a review on MSH.

We are a hockey equipment website. This, regardless if you believe in it or not, isn't hockey equipment.

thank god

Okay, I may buy one and try some semi-scientific tests as much as I can be scientific. Again, if it is a placebo and it woirks I don't give a sh**t as long as I don't fall as much and can touch my toes without major pain. Stay tuned.

I thought of a few tests that the distributors of the holograms could do to determine if they improve performance, by how much, and whether they are placebos.

1) Time twenty-five people using some type of balance board, then give holograms to twenty of them and placebos to five of them. My guess is peoples' times would improve purely out of concentration on the second attempt, but if the improvement is significantly better with the holograms than the placebos....

2) There's a yoga move where people stand on one leg while the rest of their body goes supine (both hands in front, other leg behind). Modify that balance move slightly by having people attempt to do a deadlift of sorts with and without the holograms and placebos.

3) For hockey players, set up a slalom course on the ice with cones, then time people with and without. (By the way, since the gentleman lives in the Toronto area, possibly that's something that could be done during the MSH skate.)

If it's really just a hologram the size of a card which can be placed in one's back pocket, it should be easy to perform any number of double-blind studies using either a card with the hologram, or a card with no hologram. The test could be the same one as Jason did. You wouldn't need sophisticated measuring protocols, even self-report would work as long as the conditions are double-blind.

Tell us more about the cell-phone test, how to do it, and what the theory is there. Is it the electronics in the cell phone itself, or is it the transmission that is supposed to interfere with one's balance ? If the latter, a skeptic could conduct tests with a phone which (unbeknownst to him) is either on or off.

Here's what I'd like to know:

1. How can you embed a sonic frequency into a hologram?

2. How can you embed a frequency with a wavelength of 125 feet (7.8 Hz) into a sticker that's less than 1" square?

3. How does a hologram emit a sonic frequency?

4. How does a sticker emit so much sonic energy that it vibrates a person's cells?

5. How does sonic vibration improve a person's balance?

6. How does a sticker placed within a couple inches of a person's body impact their entire body's cells?

7. How does all of this jive with the Law of Conservation of Energy?

I tried to look up the first and third points but found nothing at all, so I just can't figure it out. If this were true, I'd have to imagine scientists could make large holograms that generate so much energy that they could have an infinite supply of power.

Here's what I'd like to know:

You don't

2. How can you embed a frequency with a wavelength of 125 feet (7.8 Hz) into a sticker that's less than 1" square?

you can't

it doesn't

4. How does a sticker emit so much sonic energy that it vibrates a person's cells?

it can't

it doesn't

6. How does a sticker placed within a couple inches of a person's body impact their entire body's cells?

it doesn't

it can't

I tried to look up the first and third points but found nothing at all, so I just can't figure it out. If this were true, I'd have to imagine scientists could make large holograms that generate so much energy that they could have an infinite supply of power.

The only thing that items like this generate is cash for the "inventors" pockets. They love to use big words and phrases to make make it sound impressive. They usually throw the word "quantum" in there somewhere. These people are not helping people only hurting. They are the reason people use holistic medicine, crystals ect. Items like these can cause alot of damage. A perfect example is a product called "the sniffer" It is/was being sold to the Iraqi gov for bomb detection. It has no moving or viable parts and has been proven by the U.S. Navy to be worthless, but the Iraqis still use it. How many people get injured because it couldn't detect an explosive device. If these products actually worked don't you think the worlds leading doctors would use it to ease pain and suffering. How many double blind, scientific tests does it take to convince people the stuff doesn't work. The placebo effect might make you think you feel better but what about the actual underlying problem being ignored?

chk_hrd you're really not providing any scientific opposition here. It's still the same "it doesn't work because I say it can't because other things don't work!"

Jarick posed the same questions I was thinking of and I'd like to see answered, but you're response doesn't make me anymore apt to believe that it's completely worthless mumbo-jumbo. Unless you can expand on your ideas and/or have credentials you haven't previously made known you look like your sitting there with your fingers in your ears screaming "LALALALALALA" which is how a lot of people picture those supporting this after having tried it.

Tell us more about the cell-phone test, how to do it, and what the theory is there. Is it the electronics in the cell phone itself, or is it the transmission that is supposed to interfere with one's balance ? If the latter, a skeptic could conduct tests with a phone which (unbeknownst to him) is either on or off.

You could copy the one in the video. We put the cellphone aside, then I put one hand over my sternum while the other arm was stretched to the side. He tried pushing down on the outstretched arm, but I had decent strength to fight against him. Then I held the cellphone against my sternum while fighting with the outstretched hand, yet there was noticeably less strength.

Is it a sonic frequency that is emitted? I know one of the links mentioned emitting a frequency, but I don't recall the word "sonic" being used. In fact, my guess is it would be more likely emitting an electrical frequency, but I'm just guessing here.

Regarding the 1" square versus making a much larger one to provide more energy, maybe the same hologram in a larger size wouldn't hit the target frequency.

I think the more interesting question is, assuming a properly designed, double-blind experiment proves the holograms work, HOW THE HELL DID ANYONE EVEN THINK OF DOING THIS?!?!

If these products actually worked don't you think the worlds leading doctors would use it to ease pain and suffering. How many double blind, scientific tests does it take to convince people the stuff doesn't work.

1) Inventions, medical or otherwise, occur every year, so doctors can only use technologies as they come to market.

2) One test would be great because it would save bandwidth on cyberspace, but no one in this thread is aware of any double blind, scientific test conducted yet.

chk_hrd you're really not providing any scientific opposition here. It's still the same "it doesn't work because I say it can't because other things don't work!"

Jarick posed the same questions I was thinking of and I'd like to see answered, but you're response doesn't make me anymore apt to believe that it's completely worthless mumbo-jumbo. Unless you can expand on your ideas and/or have credentials you haven't previously made known you look like your sitting there with your fingers in your ears screaming "LALALALALALA" which is how a lot of people picture those supporting this after having tried it.

I have not said it doesn't work because I have said so, I say it doesn't work because it has been proven not to. A quick internet search can provide you with many links that debunk this product and others like it. I have already provided a few on previous post. I am definitely not putting my fingers in my ears, the same can be said about the people who say I have wore it and believe, therefore it works.

If you are sure it works please provide me inconclusive scientiific research by impartial research teams showing any bennifit of this product.

I have not said it doesn't work because I have said so, I say it doesn't work because it has been proven not to. A quick internet search can provide you with many links that debunk this product and others like it. I have already provided a few on previous post. I am definitely not putting my fingers in my ears, the same can be said about the people who say I have wore it and believe, therefore it works.

If you are sure it works please provide me inconclusive scientiific research by impartial research teams showing any bennifit of this product.

Bought one and will try to test it out using my highly scientific methods ie. do I notice a difference? That's about all I can offer. If it is a placebo effect I really don't care if it makes a difference. I have 30 days to return it. I'll keep everyone posted. I put it on my right arm and instantly my bicep grew six inches...okay I was fantasizing. I have a power skating class tonight so I will put it to the test there.

My balance has never been thrown off with a cell phone. The only thing I have found that has an impact on my balance is alcohol and lots of it. It makes life much more interesting.

Well 7.8 Hz is considered subsonic, in that we can feel but not hear it. But typically in order to feel that, you'd need a massive transducer (like a 15" or larger speaker) and a TON of wattage. Which is why I can't help but to call BS on a tiny sticker somehow reproducing that frequency.

This is the closest I can get to finding something similar...at least that device has a power source and a way to reproduce the frequency.

Going back to the company's website:

Power Balance is performance technology that uses holograms embedded with frequencies that react positively with your body’s natural energy field.

Again, I'd like to know how they're embedding a subsonic frequency into a hologram?

Most everything has a frequency inherent to it. Some frequencies react positively with your body and others negatively. When the hologram comes in contact with your body’s energy field, it allows your body to interact with the natural, beneficial frequency stored within the hologram. This results in improved energy flow throughout your body.

And that implies a reproduction of that frequency.

Now go up an octave, to 78.3 Hz, that's right in the sweet spot of most subwoofer speakers...and typically you want at least 200-300 watts and at minimum a 10" speaker to reproduce that frequency. The lower the frequency you want to reproduce, the more wattage it takes. So how does a sticker claim to reproduce a subsonic frequency with NO ENERGY and NO TRANSDUCER?

I can certainly see how someone's ability to play hockey might be affected by the mind...how many superstitions are out there? But when there's no scientific evidence, it's pure power of suggestion here.