Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CigarScott

To tuck or not to tuck?

So I'm going to have the opportunity to try on shin guards at a real hockey store next weekend. I've watched Youtube videos and read other posts about how to wear shin guards and still don't know which way to go. I am a beginning player and skater. I plan on playing D, am about 6'5" and am overweight, if that makes any difference. What would the best way for a beginner to wear shins?  Thanks.

I believe it will come down to personal preference and what feels best.  I play D, I'm 5'9" and I wear CCM Ultra Tacks 17" Shin guards over my tongue.  There is nothing worse than taking a heavy shot to the laces so that's why I overlap my shins over my tongue.  

7 minutes ago, shoot_the_goalie said:

Totally preference.  Just keep in mind, if you wear over the tongues, you might want to go 1" longer in the shin pads.

Right, which is why I asked before I go off and try some on and buy a pair.

As with all things labelled ‘personal preference’ if you’re a beginner and therefore haven’t yet settled on a preference, you need a starting point. 

With that in mind I’d go with shins over tongues to start. It’s more protective obviously and if you don’t know any different, then that’s basically the tie breaker with everything else being equal. 

I’ve always worn my shins over the tongue and decided, one day, to try my shins behind the tongue. The lace bite, at the top and second eyelet, by the end of the game was nearly unbearable. So, it was a one time thing for me. 

Waaaay back in the day, I flopped my tongue. Then, I had it had it pointed out that doing that left larger gaps where an errant skate blade could cut me, so I started tucking. Over the years, after hearing about NHL players getting stuff like tendons severed from skate blades, I don't think I'll ever move away from the tuck. For me, I don't see any reason or advantage to not tuck.

2 hours ago, bandits_5 said:

I’ve always worn my shins over the tongue and decided, one day, to try my shins behind the tongue. The lace bite, at the top and second eyelet, by the end of the game was nearly unbearable. So, it was a one time thing for me. 

Yup same here. The fold in the tongue was digging in. Hurt like hell. 

16 minutes ago, puckpilot said:

Waaaay back in the day, I flopped my tongue. Then, I had it had it pointed out that doing that left larger gaps where an errant skate blade could cut me, so I started tucking. Over the years, after hearing about NHL players getting stuff like tendons severed from skate blades, I don't think I'll ever move away from the tuck. For me, I don't see any reason or advantage to not tuck.

I guess some people like the way it looks. Otherwise I agree. 

Besides all the points already mentioned it does change the way you skate. When you flop you get a bit less stability, but more range of motion. When you tuck your tongue under the pads it connects the skate to your shin more so you get a little bit of extra stability at the expense of that range of motion. Comes down to what your skating motion is like and how strong your ankles are.

14 hours ago, bandits_5 said:

I've had the same experience.

11 hours ago, rawkstar said:

Besides all the points already mentioned it does change the way you skate. When you flop you get a bit less stability, but more range of motion. When you tuck your tongue under the pads it connects the skate to your shin more so you get a little bit of extra stability at the expense of that range of motion. Comes down to what your skating motion is like and how strong your ankles are.

I’d agree with that assessment. 

Skated my entire life with the tongues out until I got some Supreme One.9’s. Due to the thickness of the tongue and the inserts I wasn’t able to get the tongue to bend enough to where it felt natural having them out. I tried tucking them behind the shins and have done so ever since. 

I don’t do the extra long shins so not sure I gain any protection.

11 hours ago, rawkstar said:

I have no problem whatsoever with range of motion tucking my tongues.

I skate with my tongues under shins - just personal preference.  I've skated with both styles, for long periods of time, and I don't find any noticeable difference in range of motion either way.  I do find I get better protection with tongues tucked.

I just recently switched over to tongues under and have been pleasantly surprised with how much I like it. I've skated with tongues out for 33 years and thought it was going to feel weird, but when I switched to new shins a while back, they fit just a bit different and going tongues in has made it feel more natural and albeit adds just a little extra protection, but that wasn't a reason for the switch.

26 minutes ago, darkhors said:

I just recently switched over to tongues under and have been pleasantly surprised with how much I like it. I've skated with tongues out for 33 years and thought it was going to feel weird, but when I switched to new shins a while back, they fit just a bit different and going tongues in has made it feel more natural and albeit adds just a little extra protection, but that wasn't a reason for the switch.

I also switched to tongues under recently too after 30+ years of skating tongues out. I feel like I get better forward flex. 

21 hours ago, Zac911 said:

Truly disappointed there has not yet been one Silence of the Lambs joke wedged in here.

It is the first thing I think of every single time I see the thread title.

I don't think size has anything to do with it, but as a fellow big guy, and Alabama hockey player (I mean, how many of us really are there?), I go tongues out.  I've done it since I was a kid and it just feels more natural.  Whenever i try and tuck it just feels weird and the pads feel looser and less secure.  I wish i could deal with the tuck though as I wouldn't mind a little more protection over the laces. 

Tuck the tongues. You don't lose mobility or forward flex unless you're taping the very bottom of your shins (and it would basically be, taping them to your skate at that point.)

How your skate fits and feels is infinitely more important than how tight your shinguard is, so I do whatever is comfortable for the skate and work the shin around it.

I've always tucked the tongue.  Like others have said you don't lose mobility unless the shin guard is way too long or you tape the bottom and wrap it around your skate.