Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

analog999

Official puck weight

What's the official weight of NHL pucks?

I'm just curious, because smarthockey claims their balls are official weight, but they weigh 3.10 oz and all the pucks I have weigh about 5.5oz. According to a page I found, official weight is 6oz.

If this is the case, why would smarthockey claim same weight as a puck when it is nowhere close?

From the USAH book:

....one inch thick and three inches in diameter and shall weigh between five and one half ounces and six ounces and be black in color.

The official weight for a puck is 5.5 - 6.0 oz. Anywhere in that range is legal. I think that most are closer to 5.5 oz though. The smart ball is lighter to make up for the fact that it is a ball. It wouldn't handle the same as a puck if it weighed 5.5 oz

correct me if I'm wrong, but i believe they say that the lower weight gives it more proper bounce off the blade to simulate a puck or something along those lines

but official warmup pucks are much lighter

I've been a ref for seven years and never heard of an "official warmup puck"

That is the funniest thing I have ever heard! Care to name your source/supplier for "official warm-up pucks?" I have never seen those on the Inglasco price list!!

Is there also "official warm-up stick tape?"

Do the pucks differ in weight depending on the manufacturer? Like are Inglasco pucks lighter or heavier than those made in the Czech Republic (I don't know the name of the company there)? I haven't seen any other pucks than those Czech ones myself.

wow, did you think before you said that?

why would you warm up with a lighter puck?

and also,

i looked online and found the "regulation pucks" weigh 6 oz

and the blue ones weigh 4 oz

Do the pucks differ in weight depending on the manufacturer? Like are Inglasco pucks lighter or heavier than those made in the Czech Republic (I don't know the name of the company there)? I haven't seen any other pucks than those Czech ones myself.

Yes...Czech pucks are cheaper. They were having problems with people breaking them easily...I forget what was the difference...

Look at a NHL puck and you'll notice how much solider it looks than a Czech-made puck.

Yes...Czech pucks are cheaper. They were having problems with people breaking them easily...I forget what was the difference...

Look at a NHL puck and you'll notice how much solider it looks than a Czech-made puck.

You guys should encourage In Glasco, it's a company from here, Québec. And btw i've never heard of puck form Czech republic, the ones we have here are either Inglasco or from Slovakia and they seem the weight the exact same thing. Anyway...

We use Czech pucks all the time and i've only seen 1 batterd old one break

900 posts

and not one of them useful ;)

Jus Kiddin :P

I've been a ref for seven years and never heard of an "official warmup puck"

because they are called official practice pucks :P

out of curiosity I weighed my official practice puck(has never been used) and my official game puck(has never been used) and found these results:

Practice puck = 158 grams

Game puck = 163 grams

Maybe the graphic on the back side of the game puck and the nhl logos on the side of the puck adds 5 grams :lol:

In glasco is not only in Quebec, it's 5-7 mins away from my house.

I prefer those in glasco pucks too. I rarely play with a czechs one, most of the time with a Slovaks one. As long as the puck doesn't have chip and it's going to be fine.

I am holding an official NHL game-used practice puck in one hand and an official NHL game-used game puck in the other and they are the same weight.

If both hands are full then I don't want to know what you are typing with...LOL

I am holding an official NHL game-used practice puck in one hand and an official NHL game-used game puck in the other and they are the same weight.

If both hands are full then I don't want to know what you are typing with...LOL

How do you know this? :lol:

I'm just curious, because smarthockey claims their balls are official weight, but they weigh 3.10 oz

If this is the case, why would smarthockey claim same weight as a puck when it is nowhere close?

Friction. There is much less force resisting a puck on ice then there is a smarthockey ball on carpet/asphalt/concrete/whatever. If the ball weighed the same a puck it would FEEL alot heavier when you stickhandle with it.

I like the smart ball. I use mine in a smooth underground parking lot or on a linoleum floor and I like the weight and feel. It's about as good as a ball is going to get to duplicating a puck. I don't think it hurts my on ice puckhandling. I think it helps. You can't really practice toe drags and things like that, but it's a worthwhile tool to practice with when you can't get on the ice.