Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
PH_Hockey2

The Things Customers Do

What's not to get? Maybe they're in between flexes/lengths, maybe they want to try different kickpoints/curves. You can't tell a customer what's best for them, you can only recommend based on some guidelines. IMO the only time I know that people are there to fool around is if there's a bunch of kids all with any combo of top-end stick and all talking excitedly with each other lol

Hahaha we get those kids too... ugh. But exactly, we can recommend what's going to be the best for them, TBH 90% of the time once we inform them of the differences in kick/lie/whatever, they end up going with something that's going to benefit their playstyle. Such as the low kicks for quick release and mid kicks for more power. And if a kid knows he likes mid kick sticks for example, maybe he'll grab 2 of say a bauer or easton or one of each and compare. I guess I'm trying to say that us explaining the nuances of a stick is going to be quicker and more effective for them then shooting with 4 different ones on a fake piece of ice without any gear on. Just frustrating to see people would rather go through that than accept the help of the associates in the store

You're going to have a tough time explaining to me how something will feel to me. I'll need to feel it and see it for myself. I won't know what the different curves and flexes will do for my shots, and I'll want to see what the different kick points will do. If you don't want me to try it, I'll find someplace that will. I appreciate your strong desire to help, and save my time as well as your own, but it just doesn't fit everyone.

Oh yeah you're both absolutely right. Often times people don't know the differences and nuances which is to be expected. And Stryker's 90%/most of the time is true too. I just don't want to say that we can automatically give them the perfect product because no one can in any industry; it's all recommendation. As an example I had a guy in between SR and INT in terms of length and he elected to try an INT stick (Vapor XXV), and two SR sticks (77 flex X4.0 for $80 and an 85 flex S17 for slightly more); all were in his price range. After some explanation and shots, we went with the S17.

You're going to have a tough time explaining to me how something will feel to me. I'll need to feel it and see it for myself. I won't know what the different curves and flexes will do for my shots, and I'll want to see what the different kick points will do. If you don't want me to try it, I'll find someplace that will. I appreciate your strong desire to help, and save my time as well as your own, but it just doesn't fit everyone.

Its not so much the feel I'm trying to explain, its the concrete technical specifications and their effects on a proper shooter. A curve with a huge loft to it is going to raise the puck up more then a straight blade. Mid kick sticks are designed to give you more power, with a longer loading time. I\ll explain that to them, and then they make their choice with these technological differences in mind. Sure sticks are going to feel different, but what I'm trying to get at is the fact that sometimes listening to the guy who's paid to know his stuff is going to narrow those 4 sticks you have down to 2 sticks pretty quickly. And with those 2 left, for sure go ahead and try em out to see which one you like better. I just think that testing them should be the end of the product selection process, not the start. .02

The next hockey dad that asks me to jump the line for his kid's skates to get sharpened ahead of the 4 pair who already dropped their skates off for "while you wait/asap" gets shot. I need a reasonable reply for this annoying request. What have you got?

What I say when requested that:

"I'm sorry sir, but our policy is first come first served. There are X number of pairs ahead of you, your pair(s) will be done in X minutes."

I haven't had anyone bitch beyond that. But if they did, I always think I'd say something along the lines of "That's why they got here earlier" or something along those lines.

Apparently we had a customer in this one day perusing through our small bin of used junior skates ($30/pair) and intended to buy a pair. He asks my manager if we could give him a free pair of laces (~$4) and when my manager explained to him that the skates were as-is, he threw a hissy-fit, claiming that he came in here all the time for sharpenings. My manager explains to him then that we don't make any money if at all on those skates and he couldn't afford to throw in a pair of laces and that he came in here for our excellent service, selection and quality of sharpenings. The customer proceeds to demand the free pair of laces and threatens that he'll never shop here again if we didn't. Naturally, my manager doesn't budge but expresses his regrets haha. We never saw the guy again.

The nerve of some people...it's like pushing us to give them a discount on an already heavily marked down item and taking it to the next level of 'are you serious??'

Edited by AIREAYE

Speaking of that, I went to a bar friday.. behind the counter there was a sign stating: "Do not ask for free or discounted drinks. It will hurt our employees and you your welcome"

I might put something like that up..

Apparently we had a customer in this one day perusing through our small bin of used junior skates ($30/pair) and intended to buy a pair. He asks my manager if we could give him a free pair of laces (~$4) and when my manager explained to him that the skates were as-is, he threw a hissy-fit, claiming that he came in here all the time for sharpenings. My manager explains to him then that we don't make any money if at all on those skates and he couldn't afford to throw in a pair of laces and that he came in here for our excellent service, selection and quality of sharpenings. The customer proceeds to demand the free pair of laces and threatens that he'll never shop here again if we didn't. Naturally, my manager doesn't budge but expresses his regrets haha. We never saw the guy again.

The nerve of some people...it's like pushing us to give them a discount on an already heavily marked down item and taking it to the next level of 'are you serious??'

WTF? I've never asked for somethng off the shelf for free before - even when I bought an entire set of equipment and bag. Theres a reason laces have a price tag stuck to them.

If the guy at the counter says he'll throw them in for nothing, cool. If not, pay the amount on the sticker or shop elsewhere.

Its not so much the feel I'm trying to explain, its the concrete technical specifications and their effects on a proper shooter. A curve with a huge loft to it is going to raise the puck up more then a straight blade. Mid kick sticks are designed to give you more power, with a longer loading time. I\ll explain that to them, and then they make their choice with these technological differences in mind. Sure sticks are going to feel different, but what I'm trying to get at is the fact that sometimes listening to the guy who's paid to know his stuff is going to narrow those 4 sticks you have down to 2 sticks pretty quickly. And with those 2 left, for sure go ahead and try em out to see which one you like better. I just think that testing them should be the end of the product selection process, not the start. .02

Like I said, that won't work for me. I need to see and feel what happens with my shooting and stickhandling mechanics, when I'm comparing a bunch of different options, and combinations thereof, that I haven't tried before.

The next hockey dad that asks me to jump the line for his kid's skates to get sharpened ahead of the 4 pair who already dropped their skates off for "while you wait/asap" gets shot. I need a reasonable reply for this annoying request. What have you got?

I've already promised to do these first. When I promise you I'll do yours, I won't jump anyone else's ahead of you, either.

Edited by wrangler

I've already promised to do these first. When I promise you I'll do yours, I won't jump anyone else's ahead of you, either.

That was the response I always gave; "So you're asking me to jump ahead of these people...what if you were one of those people? Would you like that?"

Usually met with silence.

That was the response I always gave; "So you're asking me to jump ahead of these people...what if you were one of those people? Would you like that?"

Usually met with silence.

Of course, that was said while holding the shank, wasn't it....

I hate that as well. I usually tell him to go ask the three other fathers on his son's team if they mind if I put theirs off. Either that or I tell them to just be prepared for me to stop doing theirs when the next father comes in and asks me to jump the line for their kid...if its ok for him to do it then its ok for another father to do the same.

Some people in this sport just feel their so damn entitled.

Institute a $50 "jump the line" fee and put up a sign. If they want to move to the head of the line bad enough, they'll pay for it. If not, they can wait. Either way, it's all out in the open.

One of the few only times our shop has ever sharpened a skate ahead of anyone else's is if they bought them on the spot, usually it's good business in that case.

One of the biggest factors in expediting a skate sharpening is the turn around time you commit to the customer that has chosen "drop off and wait"

If you drop off and wait, it's $15 and we suggest 15-45 min / 1 - 2 hrs (weekends).

Overnight service is usually a lot less expensive $7-10.

If someone is willing to pay $20-25 and have them expedited, as long as you can still have the drop off and wait skates done within the time frame, that shouldn't be a problem. If they don't want to pay for the expedite, they will just have to wait like everyone else.

Sometimes when tournaments are being held, we don't do drop off and waits at all, there has been anywhere from 20-50 skates on queue

Btw, leaving tips at the counter usually helps too ;)

You don't do on-the-spot sharpenings during a tournament?

That's when you park two employees on each wheel and tell them that is all they are doing that day.

In all seriousness, in all of the years I've sharpened skates, I've never bumped anyone ahead of the other person UNLESS the other person agrees to it. I've had people ask, and if those people ahead of them are present, I will ask those people if it is ok.

You will be surprised that with the right tone of voice and courtesy, if there's an extenuating circumstance, they just might allow it.

Sometimes when tournaments are being held, we don't do drop off and waits at all, there has been anywhere from 20-50 skates on queue

That is when its the most important. Being able to service customers on short notice like that is one of the things that can separate you from another shop. We want all those players that come here for tourneys to remember us and when its time to come back, look forward to it. We actually get a decent amount of repeat business from teams that play other places that wait to make their purchases from us when in town because we've treated them so well when they do come to town.

Btw, leaving tips at the counter usually helps too ;)

Hope that's a joke. While tips are appreciated, it should have no bearing on the wait time or the job that you do for the customer.

To clarify, we do not do sharpenings for general public during a tournament.

Anyone registered in the tournament will be given 2 tickets (already paid) for sharpenings that can be used during the tournament.

Two guys are basically sharpening at all times and a 3rd guy will take extra skates to a local rink if need be (for on the spot priority).

Apologize for any confusion.

Hope that's a joke. While tips are appreciated, it should have no bearing on the wait time or the job that you do for the customer.

Not the kind of job, but I always leave generous tips if they went out of their way to get something done.

Our shop has one of the best sharpeners I have ever seen and to see all the crap he's given by snobby customers, he says it's nice to be appreciated once a in a while.

I rarely ever pay to sharpen my skates.

So do you work at a shop or not? You make statements about "us" and "we" in regards to how you work, then you go on to say you leave tips when they go out of their way and that you dont have to pay for sharpening. Getting mixed signals here. LOL

So you don't pay because you tip? You'd rather pay the guy for sharpening but not pay the shop?

I'm sure the guy doesn't pay for the supplies from his tip money.

**jsykes, was wondering the same thing.

I do administration and marketing, doesn't mean I can't leave him (sharpener) a tip if I want to. Half of the time I'm in the shop using the MacBook since I help customers while he's sharpening or working on a boot.

And the owner (who I've been friends with for a long time) usually tells me "pay him don't worry about me".

Edited by HockeySavants