Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
PH_Hockey2

The Things Customers Do

I thought that credit card minimums were not allowed by Visa or Mastercard as it would be a violation of the merchant agreement. I'm not sure about American Express.

Correct.

Yeah, but how many people would call up Visa after being "outraged" at a store trying to say there is a minimum charge for cards - and then visa actually investigates and does something about it. I can think of at least 5 restaurants I've had lunch at in the last month that had a "$X minimum charge on credit cards" at the register.

Just because there is a lot of them doing it doesn't make it right. I never carry cash, and there are lots of times I want to grab a bottle of water, or a bagel and need to use the card. I'm not paying for stuff i dont want or need just to make it to $10 or $15.

So you're the guy that annoys the rest of us folks in line behind you.

Vakar: Yeah, that's usually what comes out of it. I have rarely had people turn my business away because of it.

Chippa: Yeah, thatt's me. But then there are usually people who do stuff that aggrivates me, so i guess its just a viscious cycle. But then again usually I'm rung up and out of there faster than the guy who has to wait for the tard behind the counter to count out the change. plus i never have to worry about giving the guy a $20 and only getting change for a $10 and the argument that follows.

I thought that credit card minimums were not allowed by Visa or Mastercard as it would be a violation of the merchant agreement. I'm not sure about American Express.

Correct.

Yeah, but how many people would call up Visa after being "outraged" at a store trying to say there is a minimum charge for cards - and then visa actually investigates and does something about it. I can think of at least 5 restaurants I've had lunch at in the last month that had a "$X minimum charge on credit cards" at the register.

Just because there is a lot of them doing it doesn't make it right. I never carry cash, and there are lots of times I want to grab a bottle of water, or a bagel and need to use the card. I'm not paying for stuff i dont want or need just to make it to $10 or $15.

i'm not going to stand there and debate it if there are people behind me. just make it quick. the majority of the time you're just dealing with somebody who works there, not the owner who sets the store policy. They're just trying to do their job and I'm sure if there's a $5 CC charge when they have a minimum of $10 they're going to catch hell.

Either way, blame the owner that signed the agreement. If you don't want to live up to your part of the bargain then don't sign the deal.

Edited by VakarLajos

Correct.

"Make it right" - your applying ethics to business; you know because is required.

"That guy" - Dont get me wrong, everyone should carry at least $35 in cash walking around if they plan on buying anything; but you know what, at most places, swiping a card is faster than the monkey behind the counter counting 74 cents in change. Either way, if you're raging at them, just take a breath and realize it doesn't affect your life in any way.

I love when people check the edges of the skates. It makes me feel good when they look up and put the skate down to pay for it. Although half the time I'm not sure if that is just them pretending they know what to look for :lol:

I hate to sound ignorant but would you mind telling me how to tell if a sharpening is a good one? I would really liek to know also becuase i hope to one day work at my LHS

I hate to sound ignorant but would you mind telling me how to tell if a sharpening is a good one? I would really liek to know also becuase i hope to one day work at my LHS

My LSH's sharpeners are weak, so I need to check that the wheel was centered. If it wasn't (this has happened 3 times now), one edge will be sharper than the other. They always use my Rocket Runners as an excuse.

Edited by DCott

My LSH's sharpeners are weak, so I need to check that the wheel was centered. If it wasn't (this has happened 3 times now), one edge will be sharper than the other. They always use my Rocket Runners as an excuse.

with your RRers they probably just forget to flip the skate on hte holder.

Easiest way to make sure your the edges are good hold skate up to lite and look down the steel. Should be symmetrical, then when you feel steel it should feel even and then depending on the hallow you wanted, you can tell if they actually gave you the hallow you wanted, too.

"Make it right" - your applying ethics to business; you know because is required.

"That guy" - Dont get me wrong, everyone should carry at least $35 in cash walking around if they plan on buying anything; but you know what, at most places, swiping a card is faster than the monkey behind the counter counting 74 cents in change. Either way, if you're raging at them, just take a breath and realize it doesn't affect your life in any way.

i will carry a few bucks cash as emergency money but i will use my card anywhere it's accepted because i get back either a rebate or points.

I love when people check the edges of the skates. It makes me feel good when they look up and put the skate down to pay for it. Although half the time I'm not sure if that is just them pretending they know what to look for :lol:

Looking at the steel will give you a pretty good idea. You can't just use your eye to see if the edges are level. You can set a dime on them and at least that will let you know if they are really off or not. Hopefully your sharpener is using a level to make sure they are even. Look at the bottom of the blade. It should look shiny and smooth. If it is brown or has a scalloped appearence they had a bad dress on the wheel or were just whipping the skate back and forth. When you lightly run your finger the length of the steel it should feel smooth. Over time you should look at the shape of your steel. They should maintain the rocker you have. If the skates are getting banana blades your sharpener needs to stop taking so much steel of the ends.

Customer on phone: I need to know who makes the red and blue helmets! I have two sons and I want one red and one blue helmet! Who makes the red and blue helmets!

I have a question, I dont want to sound like a douche this afternoon, but I recently changed teams, and need a new helmet/visor combo, the teams stock was out of larges, so I told him I had a black ccm v08 at home, but no visor. Our trainer told me I would be best off buying my own, for the future when I'd need one, so I should go to the LHS and purchase one, he told me that I should say he sent me, since the team gets 25% off, so do I just mention that when I pay, or when I walk in be like "yeah, I got traded to _____ and their trainer sent me to grab a visor, I guess they have some deal worked out with you guys...?"

any input would be great, I figure I'll be buying a visor, a neck guard and a set of laces. haha.

yeah, just mention that the trainer said there was a team discount... asking for a discount you should get is different from asking for a discount because you want one.

Adam, that's totally different and understandable. It's the customers that spend $60 on skates and expect 10% off with free lifetime sharpens and free soakers that annoy the employees.

Edited by NYRSinceBirth

So this happened on Wednesday, but I didnt get a chance to post it.

While working in the shop during a high school game, a kid from the other team comes in with his parents during the intermission. He was playing in the game and needed rivets replaced. No problem. So while I'm doing them, another parent comes in to see what was up. While they are waiting for me to finish, I hear this parent tell the kid and his parents, that he had just bought new skates, and baked them at home. Then I heard this bombshell. He goes "Yeah, I put them in the oven for 35 mins at 250" I hear this and have to stop what im doing and ask that he say that again. So he repeats what he said, and I just say, well, you ruined your kids skates and voided any warranty you had on them. Then this guy starts to get angry at me. He goes "No I didnt! They arent ruined at all! You dont know what you are talking about! Peranis says to bake them for 20 mins!" To which I replied, "Sir, I think you have the process a little mixed up. At most it takes 20 mins to complete the ENTIRE process. 3-5 to bake, and then 10-15 to sit and wait for them to form. Check my skate boxes if you dont believe me" He told me I was wrong again and stormed out.

Now, the thing that gets me is that this kid was from the other team, but I still did the rivet for free, as a kind gesture. And then this moron gets angry at me because I point out a mistake he made. Just kind of funny. It makes you wonder how many other dipshits out there have destroyed skates in their ovens.

While working in the shop during a high school game, a kid from the other team comes in with his parents during the intermission. He was playing in the game and needed rivets replaced. No problem. So while I'm doing them, another parent comes in to see what was up. While they are waiting for me to finish, I hear this parent tell the kid and his parents, that he had just bought new skates, and baked them at home. Then I heard this bombshell. He goes "Yeah, I put them in the oven for 35 mins at 250" I hear this and have to stop what im doing and ask that he say that again. So he repeats what he said, and I just say, well, you ruined your kids skates and voided any warranty you had on them. Then this guy starts to get angry at me. He goes "No I didnt! They arent ruined at all! You dont know what you are talking about! Peranis says to bake them for 20 mins!" To which I replied, "Sir, I think you have the process a little mixed up. At most it takes 20 mins to complete the ENTIRE process. 3-5 to bake, and then 10-15 to sit and wait for them to form. Check my skate boxes if you dont believe me" He told me I was wrong again and stormed out.

Now, the thing that gets me is that this kid was from the other team, but I still did the rivet for free, as a kind gesture. And then this moron gets angry at me because I point out a mistake he made. Just kind of funny. It makes you wonder how many other dipshits out there have destroyed skates in their ovens.

While you may be correct in the fact that he ruined the skates and voided the warranty the way that you said it, based on how you put it in your post, more than likely came across as incredibly snarky. You more than likely embarrassed the guy in front of people that he knows very well without any cause or provocation. If you wanted to talk to him about what he probably did to the skates it would have been better to pull him off to the side. I'd imagine he was very embarrassed and got angry with you because he was flustered with how you approached him.

While you may be correct in the fact that he ruined the skates and voided the warranty the way that you said it, based on how you put it in your post, more than likely came across as incredibly snarky. You more than likely embarrassed the guy in front of people that he knows very well without any cause or provocation. If you wanted to talk to him about what he probably did to the skates it would have been better to pull him off to the side. I'd imagine he was very embarrassed and got angry with you because he was flustered with how you approached him.

I don't care how nice you were, how diplomatic or kind, no one is going to like hearing that their skates are destroyed and it's directly their fault. It's natural to get defensive in a situation like that one. I don't know how angry or combative he was, but in my opinion you can't really get mad at him for lashing out if he just got that kind of news.

Edited by dsjunior1388

I don't care how nice you were, how diplomatic or kind, no one is going to like hearing that their skates are destroyed and it's directly their fault. It's natural to get defensive in a situation like that one. I don't know how angry or combative he was, but in my opinion you can't really get mad at him for lashing out if he just got that kind of news.

All I'm saying is basically calling the guy a moron in front of people that he probably sees 2-3 times a week at their kids' games is bound to make him react in a much worse way than he would have had it been only him in the store. I know that when someone embarrasses me for no reason in front of people that I want to view me as intelligent I tend to react exponentially worse to the situation. All I'm saying is that there is no doubt in my mind that the way the man was confronted with his mistake no doubt made his reaction worse than it otherwise would have been. Sounds like the guy made an honest mistake, and he was made to look like a fool in front of his peers.

Edited by JoeyJ0506

I don't know if I would have said anything to him. If he had come in and said we needed to replace them or that we sold him something defective then mentioned he baked them at home it becomes a whole different story. Fixing the rivets and him baking them incorrectly at home are two separate issues most likely.

All I'm saying is basically calling the guy a moron in front of people that he probably sees 2-3 times a week at their kids' games is bound to make him react in a much worse way than he would have had it been only him in the store. I know that when someone embarrasses me for no reason in front of people that I want to view me as intelligent I tend to react exponentially worse to the situation. All I'm saying is that there is no doubt in my mind that the way the man was confronted with his mistake no doubt made his reaction worse than it otherwise would have been. Sounds like the guy made an honest mistake, and he was made to look like a fool in front of his peers.

Well you are making assumptions that make me out to be an asshole. I wasnt a dick to the guy, i just told him he probably destroyed his kid's skates. The truth is the guy probably thought he could save 10 bucks by doing it at home, and now has likely ruined a perfectly good pair of skates.

And I dont think I ever said I was mad at the guy, I just thought it was kind of funny that someone could be so wrong on something.

I don't know if I would have said anything to him. If he had come in and said we needed to replace them or that we sold him something defective then mentioned he baked them at home it becomes a whole different story. Fixing the rivets and him baking them incorrectly at home are two separate issues most likely.

You are confused. I was fixing a different pair of skates. His were not the ones being riveted.

lol, that's funny knowing the school they're from. You'd think they'd be Smarter than that.

Not to get off track, how are the M.P. boys doing this year? Should talk to the coach/A.D and try and set up a game with Cadillac in the next few seasons.

lol, that's funny knowing the school they're from. You'd think they'd be Smarter than that.

Not to get off track, how are the M.P. boys doing this year? Should talk to the coach/A.D and try and set up a game with Cadillac in the next few seasons.

These kids were from Midland

They are ok. Better than expected I'd say. I will talk to them, that would be a good matchup. There are a ton of cadillac teams in the rink today actually.

Well you are making assumptions that make me out to be an asshole. I wasnt a dick to the guy, i just told him he probably destroyed his kid's skates. The truth is the guy probably thought he could save 10 bucks by doing it at home, and now has likely ruined a perfectly good pair of skates.

And I dont think I ever said I was mad at the guy, I just thought it was kind of funny that someone could be so wrong on something.

I was making the observation that perhaps the way you went about informing the man of his mistake was not performed so eloquently. If anything I said came across as insulting or in bad taste, I apologize. I was simply making an observation about why the guy you said it to may have gotten upset with you. At no point did I say you were ever angry.

You are confused. I was fixing a different pair of skates. His were not the ones being riveted.

either way, if I'm in that situation the most I'd do is let him know we also offer that service, but doing it at home will void the warranty.

Telling somebody, "Hey you just ruined your skates" always runs the risk of coming off as arrogant whether or not it's factually correct. Gotta pick your battles there.

Yeah, casually commenting in conversation that he totally fucked up a $300+ purchase is really the way to go about it. Great job.