Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OTHockey96

Pro's shoulder pads

Early this season Avery got his jersey ripped off(surprise, surprise) and he had wicked old Bauer SP500, black with the dark green trim. I have been in Devils, Rangers, and Canadiens locker rooms with all their equipment in player stalls. Jofa shoulder pads dominate in the room.

Jofa just dominates, period. When I did Nashville's room everyone wore Jofa...a few guys would have some Bauer stuff, but primarily Jofa. Yet, I never had success selling Jofa at the retail level. I don't get it.

Jofa just dominates, period. When I did Nashville's room everyone wore Jofa...a few guys would have some Bauer stuff, but primarily Jofa. Yet, I never had success selling Jofa at the retail level. I don't get it.

Same here with trying to sell Jofa SPs at retail. If you try them on, they really are not the most comfortable SPs. I wear Vapor 10 SP and was sorry they took them out of the line. They replaced my Cooperall CSBs(second generation white SP) after 10+ years. Jofa SPs are tough sell at retail but pros love'em?!

Jofa just dominates, period.  When I did Nashville's room everyone wore Jofa...a few guys would have some Bauer stuff, but primarily Jofa.  Yet, I never had success selling Jofa at the retail level.  I don't get it.

Same here with trying to sell Jofa SPs at retail. If you try them on, they really are not the most comfortable SPs. I wear Vapor 10 SP and was sorry they took them out of the line. They replaced my Cooperall CSBs(second generation white SP) after 10+ years. Jofa SPs are tough sell at retail but pros love'em?!

it's because they're plain, white, have no special gizmos. for example, if you were just getting into hockey and you were looking at pads, which look more protective, the nike V12 pad with it's shock absorbing cap and it's zoom air or Jofa 8090's with their ... whiteness?

Jofa just dominates, period.  When I did Nashville's room everyone wore Jofa...a few guys would have some Bauer stuff, but primarily Jofa.  Yet, I never had success selling Jofa at the retail level.  I don't get it.

it's because they're plain, white, have no special gizmos. for example, if you were just getting into hockey and you were looking at pads, which look more protective, the nike V12 pad with it's shock absorbing cap and it's zoom air or Jofa 8090's with their ... whiteness?

My first and only pair of shoulder pads are Jofa's. I heard that was what was prevalent in the NHL and figured those guys wore the most protective stuff they could get so I should probably follow suit. Are they big? I guess, but since they are the only pair I've ever worn I can't compare. I do know that while wearing them the only shoulder injury I get is when I fall and land on my elbows or pin my arm between my body and the ice.

My first and only pair of shoulder pads are Jofa's. I heard that was what was prevalent in the NHL and figured those guys wore the most protective stuff they could get so I should probably follow suit.

Given that all of them very obviously sacrifice protection for mobility (i.e. none of them wear full face shields), I don't know that I'd make that assumption myself. :P

Thanks, Chadd!

Would you and JR recommend this? Mack has already expressed his preference for em.

JR, if you do, I may just grab a pair or 2 from you when I make it over.

What size?

I should be a medium. Thanks!

Thanks, Chadd!

Would you and JR recommend this? Mack has already expressed his preference for em.

Never used them but they're more protective than the 5030s that I use.

I wonder in general how many pros use retail hockey equpment. While he was here in D.C. area, Jeff Friesen came into a local pro shop and baught a couple of lightspeed holders and an old low-level bauer shoulder pad, probobly the 500s. My friend who works there had no idea why a pro would go into a LHS. I think, for expample, that Kovalchuk's pants are retail, as well as the sherwood 5030s. Right?

I wish I could get a pair of Bauer SBDII shoulder pads. Unfortunately, XXL is a hard size to find. :rolleyes:

I wonder in general how many pros use retail hockey equpment. While he was here in D.C. area, Jeff Friesen came into a local pro shop and baught a couple of lightspeed holders and an old low-level bauer shoulder pad, probobly the 500s. My friend who works there had no idea why a pro would go into a LHS. I think, for expample, that Kovalchuk's pants are retail, as well as the sherwood 5030s. Right?

They dont get everything from the team.Most players have there own equipment that they bought themselves.

Thanks, Chadd!

Never used them but they're more protective than the 5030s that I use.

Thanks, Chadd.

JR, I'm down for a pair. We'll give medium a go. See you in May. Thanks!

Datsyuk wears old, old bauers. And somebody told me that Bure didn't actually wear vaughns, but kohos.

Pavel Bure's Top 10 Keys to Success (taken from pbfc.org)

Vapor 10 skates

Bauer helmet, OAKLEY visor, custom shaped and sized

Nike pants

Bauer LBPD gloves with a custom cuff added for more protection

Easton "SYNERGY" hockey stick

Jofa elbow pads

JOFA 5090 shin pads

VAUGHN shoulder pads

Nike jersey

Bauer Supreme GT (glass tenon) hockey blade

no idea how accurate that is

Richard Park uses bauer 1000 shoulders i think, kesler uses itechs, i think there was a pic of kovalev with some dirt brown kohos aroundh ere too

Bure mainly used the Bauer composite shafts and blade combo didn't he? He only used the Synergy at the very end of his career.

Steve66, Bure only used the synergy late in his career, before that he was mostly a bauer guy, including sticks, gloves, pants, skates, helmet. I wasn't watching hockey too much back then, but I think he and Lindros were Bauer's poster boys. Just a really weird thought, but does anyone notice that the europeans, like bure, ovechkin, samsonov, forseberg, etc., usually use much bigger protection than the north american players. And usually they are stereotyped as having better hands and more speed. I would think that the bigger stuff would slow them down. I guess it could all just be mental, but I usually really feel a difference if something I'm wearing is too big or heavy.

or maybe the skills don't really have too much to do with the equipment??? There's a novel thought. You want good hands, go practice! I love gear as much as the next guy (on here) but when it comes down to it, the gear has little effect on performance. Get two guys; one with the best equipment and one with the worst... have them go one on one. Who's going to win? The guy who practices more! It kills me how many people attribute success or a lack of to their equipment. ;)

I had a pair of Jofa's once and could just never get used to them for whatever reason. Maybe it was because i grew up using cooper techniflex shoulder pads, which i still use to this day. I do know alot of people that use the Jofas and swear by them.

I had a pair of Jofa's once and could just never get used to them for whatever reason. Maybe it was because i grew up using cooper techniflex shoulder pads, which i still use to this day. I do know alot of people that use the Jofas and swear by them.

If I'm paying for protective equipment, I put my money with Jofa. And what's really weird is that it sells really well most places in Canada, which is unusual because Jofa isn't Canadian and us Canadians tend to be hoosers about that kinda thing eh?

And could someone answer a quick question, speaking of pros and what equipment they're wearing? If you go to Jofa's Sweden site:

http://www.jofa.se/

You see a pic of Sidney Crosby. But I thought Sid the Kid had a exclusive contract with THC? Could someone who knows Swedish better than me/is smarter than me figure that out?

If I'm paying for protective equipment, I put my money with Jofa. And what's really weird is that it sells really well most places in Canada, which is unusual because Jofa isn't Canadian and us Canadians tend to be hoosers about that kinda thing eh?

And could someone answer a quick question, speaking of pros and what equipment they're wearing? If you go to Jofa's Sweden site:

http://www.jofa.se/

You see a pic of Sidney Crosby. But I thought Sid the Kid had a exclusive contract with THC? Could someone who knows Swedish better than me/is smarter than me figure that out?

Jofa is under the THC umbrella. Probably why he is on the site.

Jofa to me makes great equipment but for whatever reason i just couldnt get used to them. I just hope my techniflex's that i wear now last for just a bit longer

I agree with that, I tried a pair of Jofa shoulder pads once and just didn't like them. They felt kind of bulky to me, big shoulder caps. I'd rather stick with my Cooper's, or some Bauer Flak's. Now shinguards and elbow pads is a different story, I won't wear anything but Jofa there.

Johnson, I know the equipment doesn't make the player, that's not why I asked about who in the NHL wears what. More or less, I'm just trying to convince myself to switch to some bigger shoulder pads than the Sherwood 5030s because I keep getting little injuries.

Guest Muck
My friend who works there had no idea why a pro would go into a LHS.

I think it happens more often than some think. For example, Adam Foote was in our LHS a few days ago. I thought it was somewhat odd as well when I heard about it.