Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

iceburg19

Sprung Hockey

sorry, I meant what type of bit if one works better than another for plastic. :)

Any good quality SHARP drill bit will work.

I have a small (less than 1/8) bit with a smaller drill point sticking out that starts the hole. This is really helpful with the glass soles, cause it goes in exactly where you point it and doesn't slide around.

Then I use the final size bit for the real hole in the right place. If I try starting with the big one, it tends to crall a bit and if there's already holes, it'll head for the nearest one.

shut - a two part epoxy starts as a liquid but hardens like cement within 15minutes,sort of like a car bondo.if you have to many drill holes on the skate boot and want to mount a frame, fill all the holes with the epoxy and remount the frame.my graf skates had a ice holder,they now have the sensor chassis,when i take them off im going to have a lot of holes, that could cause a problem when mounting the sprung frame so ill fill all the holes with two part epoxy and start the remount.

Update:

Was back ón the Alloy's today, felt like I was flying compared to the sprung frame. Much quicker first-step.

Will have to re-mount the sprung frame on a identical pair of Vectors to give them a fair comparison, cause the Graf boot doesn't perform or fit as well on my feet.

I finally got to skate last night for couple hours (have the VS boots/sprung frames/rink rat hornets) so here's the scoop:

I was kinda skeptical about them in warm up, didn't feel steady on them and like others the acceleration wasnt there, i think it wasn't use to that rocker feeling of the springs since all i have skated on were alloys.

As the night went along though, i was getting use to them and that feeling of the spring during accelaration..but it will probably take me a couple more skates to really adapt to them. This was the only problem i had.

The good things were yes you can turn alot more tighter with ease...they also do feel alot faster once you get going...and the stopping is way better on them as well.

Overall, after the first skate am very pleased with them. I'll let you know how it goes after a few more skates.

I used them 3 more times and I feel really confident on them now. I also feel a little lag in acceleration, but I believe top speed is better. Im confident enough on them to use them for tryouts. They better not let me down! ;)

just wondering what wheels and durometer(with sprung frames) you guys are useing and on what surface your skateing on?im useing rink rat hot shots and hornet mix-76mm-62/76 duro, (on sport court)im thinking of going a little softer-maybe revisions-im185lbs.

Ash96: How did it go in team pratice with the frames? Could you feel the difference in accelleration?

Seems very imperative on the small ball-hockey pitches.

I feel top speed is better too on the Sprungs, but on the smaller rinks you won't catch the other guy before it's too late.

Ash96: How did it go in team pratice with the frames? Could you feel the difference in accelleration?

Seems very imperative on the small ball-hockey pitches.

I feel top speed is better too on the Sprungs, but on the smaller rinks you won't catch the other guy before it's too late.

Many of the guys down here in SoCal have gradually moved toward harder rather than softer wheels. You don't need soft boggy wheels distorting under force in addition to the suspension. As long as your wheels are still tacky on the surface, harder is better for quickness and top end speed.

Our home rink in San Diego has a stiff surface that's very fast with all wheels, but when we take the soft wheels to some of the other softer surfaces, they feel sort of sluggish. Soft wheels, soft surface and suspension are too much all added up.

Drive flat tires are a good example. HARD and sticky plus the great suspension on today's hotrods. Leave the work to the suspension as much as possible.

And, control masks speed. I would love it if some of you guys could actually time your short distance quickness and your top end speed vs reg frames. Or race the same person with your new frames and with your old ones. Or find a bud with the same size boot (same boot even better) and switch back and forth between yourselves. Quickness and speed are feelings and perceptions, but they can be measured, too.

The other factor is the boot. As Patrick mentioned, if the boot doesn't fit just right, nothing feels right. A boot that's too wide in the front end is the worst for me. Feels like the frame's bending over or the boot's twisting, when it's actually my foot sliding over to the low side of the push. In some cases of this one, I've actually thought my frame was coming off the boot on the inside. VERY BOGGY.

The bottom line on the quickness is that if they were slower on the take off, the Top players that are using them wouldn't be doing so. We aren't anywhere near the point of paying killer players to use our frames!!!

I havent noticed too much difference at the moment, but then i dont have another pair of skates with the hi lo on, i jsut have to go from memory.

You could try using all 72mm wheels for better accelleration, because you shouldnt lose top end speed much because the sprung frames are pretty quick.

Im using gold revisions on the outside and 73A hyper trinitys on the inside.

Thats only because theyre the only wheels my lhs had.

I have all 72mm on mine for the time being. You think that will work well Sprungster?

You certainly get a wider choice of wheels with 72 mms until the 76s start showing up. We talked to RR a couple of weeks ago and asked for some harder stickys. I'll call again tomorrow. They suggested 78As for the frames.

I've never skated on 72s myself, but a lot of the younger players used them to start with. They all moved over to 76s within a year or so as they grew.

Missions new 80/76 HiLo will help get 76mm wheels distributed better. Thank You!!

Anyway, the wheel thing gets sort of personal with everybody and I'm not a real purchaser, so I stay out of it. But what I said about way soft wheels and the suspension is fundamentally sound. Besides which I've asked a few who really Know, and they're all going harder for the speed so long as they don't slip any.

I just started skating again after a Long time off and I have some older Soft Grippers that are doing well and holding up. They're on all my skate pics, too. I'm working on my "I don't care if I look like a fool" threashold so I can start playing pick-up again soon.

i can see everyone wanting speed,my problem is im like digging in for grip with each stride just until i get get going.i put this set up on for now all 72mm, rink rat 76duro,(front)revision74duro(middles)rink rat 76duro( back)ill try that saturday morning,ice game saturday night,roller monday.still love the frames,i think theyre amazing.my son matt loves them also and he is so picky when it comes to skates and equipment.

There are some sprungs on ebay.... but they are mounted to some really old mission VSI's really really old..... and they are rather pricey

Dude, I know. What a rip. Those skates belong in a museum! Not to mention they are probably a crap mounting job too.

There are some sprungs on ebay.... but they are mounted to some really old mission VSI's really really old..... and they are rather pricey

Are those the same skates that are on the Sprung site?

I skated in the sprungs tonight, and they were pretty cool:

I feel alot faster on these skates, and more agile for sure. The cuts taht I always want to make in inline, but cant due to sliding, i can make in the Sprungs. My only issue with them is that they feel alot different than my alloys. I think its the rocker, and the fact that its not hi-lo. Its not a bad issue, just one that I need to get used to. Sprungster, do you think 76mm in the back, and 72mm in the front would work?

I skated on these for the first time tonight. I really liked how they felt. Does it feel like the wheels are always loose to anybody else? The axles are tight but the wheels still wiggle a little bit. From the new mount, one of the copper rivets is directly beneath the ball of my foot and its really uncomfortable. Is there any way to fix this other than a thicker footbed? Thanks for any input.

I am still waiting to try my pair for the first time. Between vacation and the rink closing for the holiday, I haven't been able to get on the floor.

Then you guys come on here and taunt me about how great the sprung chassis is...I am drooling on my keyboard! :P

My only issue with them is that they feel alot different than my alloys. I think its the rocker, and the fact that its not hi-lo. Its not a bad issue, just one that I need to get used to. Sprungster, do you think 76mm in the back, and 72mm in the front would work?

As DL says, a heel lift is a good crossover help for the difference in pitch from your HiLo. I did that myself for a while till I got used to them. It also depends on the pitch of your boot, which is different with each manufacturer.

Using 76s in back and 72s in front will definitely increase the pitch and move you to your toes a lot, but it also puts a lot of extra strain on the front rocker arm. You can try it for a bit and see what you think.

Different footbeds can make a world of difference in the pitch too. A 1/16-1/8" can make a tremendous difference in you balance front or rear.

So I recomend trying the heel lift first. Maybe 1/8".

And Iceburg should try some 76mm 78As and see how they compare to the softer 72s. More wheel is more give if they're too soft.