Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

blueliner27

Weird Superstition

Nothing major, I just like to re-tape and wax all my sticks before each game. Usually because I'm practicing in the house and scuffing up my tape that week. Also I've been screwing around with the butt end finding something more comfortable, but that's probably because I haven't been playing long.

Although I did switch from black to white tape last week and had two assists...yesterday I did white tape but marked it up with a puck and got another two assists, two breakaways, and damn near my first goal in 10 years (goalie caught the puck under his arm barely).

So now I'm using white tape marked up with a puck :D

yah i dono i like my pants on last cuz i find i can bend over better and i put my shoulders on first cuz i find with my shoulder pads on i can tie my skates tighter

:blink: o...k

Must be something mental. Whatever works for you. *shrug* I just found it odd.

its ok lol its sounds stupiders then it is lol.. my coach has a big laugh everytime he sees me getting ready.

I don't like rips or tears in my tape. If a blade has a rip from the previous game, I have to rip it off and put new tape on the blade. I will go through as many as three sticks a game because the tape will rip and leave a large portion of the blade exposed.

Me too. I am very picky on taping job on my blade. Even if I tape new one, but slightly off, I redo it all over again. Sometimes, it costs me a roll to tape all my 3 sticks. I see it's more like a habit rather than a weird superstition.

If the rink is not used before my game, I like to walk out there with my sandals, and just puckhandle and shoot with my gloves and stick. I find it relaxes me. I also puckhandle with a golf ball before the game for about 5-10 minutes.

-I have to be the first there and the last to leave the locker room.

-If I tighten my skates too much, we will lose.

-I wear normal socks. I have never gone barefoot and won a game.

.. Nothing too strange for me.

They are more rituals than superstions. I also have a late heavy lunch and nothing for dinner except for maybe a powerbar.

pants on first, left foot in left skate, right foot in right skate, lace up left skate, lace up right skate, pack a lip, shin pads, then elbows. Shouldies just before warmup. Wear a white helmet with no visor for warm up, team helmet with visor for the game (have to wear a visor as i was born after 1975).

Just before i leave the room for the first period my tie down gets fastened and my jersey doesnt come off until after the game.

pants on first, left foot in left skate, right foot in right skate, lace up left skate, lace up right skate, pack a lip, shin pads, then elbows. Shouldies just before warmup. Wear a white helmet with no visor for warm up, team helmet with visor for the game (have to wear a visor as i was born after 1975).

Just before i leave the room for the first period my tie down gets fastened and my jersey doesnt come off until after the game.

Different color bucket for warmups? I could see team color bucket with no visor, but the different color seems odd to me. But I also just shoot water down my back before the period starts, so who knows?

I tape my stick once I get there. Take a dump about a half hour before the game. Put the right piece of equipment on before the left. Aim for posts if there is no goalie in net while shooting during warm ups.

It first started out with me just having to be the last one onto the ice before a game, until this past year, where there was a 'Vet' on my team who had the same superstition. So I have adapted and became the second last player onto the ice.

I shower before Saturday games, but not Sunday games.

Tape my stick with white tape, and NEVER let the blade touch the ground until I step on the ice.

I put my gear on from left to right.

If i'm not starting I take a shot of water and spit it back out as the opening puck drop is being dropped, if I do start I squirt my face and do the same thing before I line up.

I'm sure there's more but I just go with the flow as to what's working and what wasn't. Those are the ones that are on the top of my head and I do every game.

I have a few

I have v12(nike) shoulders pads... i never tighten them up till my 3rd shift

Away games i only wear white underarmour shirts... home i wear blue underarmour

Neck Guard is last piece of equipment i put on before a game( beside gloves)

Have to be last on the ice

I run our teams warmup so 20 secs in i call to lineup for horseshoe... 1:20 later i call for 2 on 1

and with 30 secs left i call for puck to the nets. Whenever i change drills i repeat everything twice

I used to wear my lucky team germany hat with Uwe Krupp's autograph on the underbill to the rink, but I played alright without it a few times, but now i think i'm gonna get back into it since im in a bit of a slump. Also, snapshot off the crossbar, ricocheting over the glass at somepoint in the warmups.

Whoa that's quite a routine you got going on. What happens if you miss a step or do it wrong?

Do you then redo the step or?

If I catch myself doing something wrong, it usually just bugs me. I won't untape a freshly taped stick and retape it just cause it touched the ground, but it bugs me.

I forgot one too.

After the warm up (on ice), I go touch the goal line on the boards with my stick twice then skate into the pile around our net. I'm not sure how that started, but I've done it for a while.

Not really an act of superstition so much as an embrace of a common superstitious belief - what started as two four-leaf clovers (that I found) laminated and tucked under the footbeds in my skates before games has turned into many four-leaf clovers (found by a lot of people and given to me) laminated and put in my skates, and also taped in place under the butt-ends of all my sticks and behind the kneecap of my right shin guard (knee problems).

*I'd like to take this opportunity to thank my mom - who is a first grade teacher - for laminating all those four-leaf clovers for me* ;)

I now keep my eyes closed during the Canadian anthem: my contacts started bothering me a bit right before O Canada one night, so I kept my eyes closed until it was over so I could run back into the dressing room and get some saline solution. I wound-up with a four-point night, including the game-winner late in the third...so I'm obviously just looking for ways to repeat the performance.

I started out taping a folded-up piece of paper around the top of the stick to get a nice knob without using too much tape. One day I was sitting on the couch and the only paper handy was a Playboy. I thought it would be funny to put a nudie pic under the knob so I tried it and ended up scoring lots of goals during that stick's life (It was new when I first did it). I don't use a knob anymore so that tradition has died off, but I highly recommend it.

Got one Started a few days ago.

Ilya Kovalchuk shot me over a puck at the thrashers practice. I keep it in a ziplock bag in my hockey back. I always touch that puck before I leave the locker room for the game.

And, I recently started putting the birthdate on the back of my sticks knobs. Seems pretty lucky, the day I did that got the new dolomite from the thrashers for free.

Back when I was younger, I skated with a $5 bill in my skate, didnt have anywhere to put it and the rink had alot of theft, scored on first shot of the game. Skated the next 15 games with and scored in each.

High School - got there 45 min early, got half dressed, went in the hallway half hour before the game, got a good stretch, while listening to the same cd every game. 5 min before the game would always turn Van Halens "Righ Now"

Now, its just freshly taped sticks, always the first one on the ice and right before puck drop slap the goalies leg pads with my stick and say "nothing gets by"

Not really an act of superstition so much as an embrace of a common superstitious belief - what started as two four-leaf clovers (that I found) laminated and tucked under the footbeds in my skates before games has turned into many four-leaf clovers (found by a lot of people and given to me) laminated and put in my skates, and also taped in place under the butt-ends of all my sticks and behind the kneecap of my right shin guard (knee problems).

*I'd like to take this opportunity to thank my mom - who is a first grade teacher - for laminating all those four-leaf clovers for me* ;)

I now keep my eyes closed during the Canadian anthem: my contacts started bothering me a bit right before O Canada one night, so I kept my eyes closed until it was over so I could run back into the dressing room and get some saline solution. I wound-up with a four-point night, including the game-winner late in the third...so I'm obviously just looking for ways to repeat the performance.

I keep one I found in third grade laminated in scotch tape in my wallet.

Hasn't worked yet though.