Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

masterpeice_patrice

pick up hockey (shinny) pet peeves

New one, since playing goal: players patting me on the head with their sticks. Seriously, don't do that. I'm happy you're pleased with my services in net and all but really...

I usually just do that with pucks

what i mean is guys who don't know their own ability showing up to a A level skate and being a D level skater. Go to the C and B levels first. People can get hurt. I have no problem with players wanting to get better

Shinny in my locale has no level division. Every level from F-level to off-season college and even former pro shows up. Yes, I said F-level. Not even D. I was that guy last year. Now that I am firmly in D-level, I want to play with nothing higher than D-level, with maybe a couple of former A-level to help us out. It isn't much fun not being able to even carry the puck across the centre red line against some *ss hole who thinks it's cool to play super aggressively against the old guy/neophyte/however that player is not to A-level skills or ability. I guess that's the only place where they are better than their "competition", because I don't see their name on any NHL roster, let alone any minor league team.

To be fair, it is not even the former pros that are water heads- every single one of those guys I have played with were nothing less than gentlemanly. It's the guys that still feel that they have something to prove who tend to be the dick heads.

I think it would be great if there were different levels of drop-in.

New one, since playing goal: players patting me on the head with their sticks. Seriously, don't do that. I'm happy you're pleased with my services in net and all but really...

I'm old school- I only tap your pads. What's up with patting goalies on the head with your stick?

I usually just do that with pucks

Now, see, that I'm fine with.

That's hilarious. I never hit my goalie with my stick in the head but have seen it and I know it would piss me off if people did it to me. I usually give him a bang in the legs not the head.

Yeah legs, shoulder, blocker but...

"Hey tendy good save *whack whack whack*"

Like you do want me to keep making those saves, right?

Now, see, that I'm fine with.

Yeah legs, shoulder, blocker but...

"Hey tendy good save *whack whack whack*"

Like you do want me to keep making those saves, right?

In my case, it's I want you to come back next week. Tap on the pads, give a few words of encouragement when the goalie lets in a soft goal (i.e. "My bad- I should have had him or at least made it harder for him to shoot. Keep up the good work, matey!"). We have enough trouble getting goalies to come out; why whack the bloke in the head?

In my case, it's I want you to come back next week. Tap on the pads, give a few words of encouragement when the goalie lets in a soft goal (i.e. "My bad- I should have had him or at least made it harder for him to shoot. Keep up the good work, matey!"). We have enough trouble getting goalies to come out; why whack the bloke in the head?

I appreciate the encouragement from folks like you, and any advice I can get. I love playing goal (so far), and as a skater I always want to encourage the goalie(s) to return - praise, leg-taps, beer, whatever. I wouldn't smack another player on the noggin, why a goalie? Is it because they're jealous of the cool headgear?

I appreciate the encouragement from folks like you, and any advice I can get. I love playing goal (so far), and as a skater I always want to encourage the goalie(s) to return - praise, leg-taps, beer, whatever. I wouldn't smack another player on the noggin, why a goalie? Is it because they're jealous of the cool headgear?

They wouldn't be jealous if they knew how loud a goal mask is when stuff hits it!!!

Informal league basically pick up with one ref. Pet peave young team 20 something's team complaining to the ref when they are losing 1-9 to us over 50 guys. With one ref hard to complain about anything, the guy will be unable to see anything behind the play. Dumb to complain about ref when you are getting hammered by a bunch of old, fat, and slow guys.

What is with people taking shinny sooooooo seriously? When a bender like me strips you cleanly from the puck, you don't have to swear like a bloody sailor. Just chalk it up to the fact that some of us have gotten better, and actually playing against people like you is why we've gotten better, especially when it is so satisfying to piss you off!!!!

One pickup I play in is a private pickup. Same three guys only pass to each other and are constantly hooking, holding, slashing, etc. anytime they get beat. First one to cry when anything is done to them. If that isn't enough (it is), one guy acts as the protector to the other two. Their level of nonsense goes up and down depending on if he is there. All I could do today was laugh and ask why his buddy couldn't fight his own battles after starting things up and challenging people.

Simple tap on the pads. I reserve the glove to the helmet for the beer league goalie.

We had a private drills and pickup session this past Monday that was for mostly team members plus some extras to give us enough guys. The drills were great (I don't think I've touched the puck as much in 6 months as I did in that hour) but the pickup was a lot of hard stretch passes between the more skilled players.

And because it was pickup, there was no structure or positioning so the less skilled guys literally learned nothing and just skated around doing their best to poke a puck away because they were given zero opportunity to actually do anything with it. Always immediately stripped of it. Like come on guys, these are you teammates... don't you WANT them to get better?

I honestly would have preferred to just do two hours of drills instead, including some coverage/positioning and cycling practice (not just skating and passing down the ice kind of stuff).

Oh well, still absolutely worth the $20 to get to have a lot of time with the puck on my stick!

Silly question, innit?

This guy was winding up away from the play (behind the red line) to shoot at the goalie we were running drills on. I ended up in the shooting lane (unbeknownst to me). He actually felt really bad. I am feeling bad as we speak, but I know he didn't aim at me on purpose.

biggest peeves:

People who NEVER get off the ice. We get it, you have good endurance. It's been 5 mins now get the F off.

People who NEVER pass. We get it, you are good at hockey. Now pass the damn puck.

z1ggy - agree, and alot of times its the guys that are not that good at hockey that don't pass, or they don't have that great of endurance, they are just coasting around and still don't switch!

What drives me even more nuts than the guys who dont pass, are the ones who only pass to their buddies.

mmmmmm hmmmmmm

z1ggy - agree, and alot of times its the guys that are not that good at hockey that don't pass, or they don't have that great of endurance, they are just coasting around and still don't switch!

mmmmmmmmm hmmmmmmmmmm

biggest peeves:

People who NEVER get off the ice. We get it, you have good endurance. It's been 5 mins now get the F off.

People who NEVER pass. We get it, you are good at hockey. Now pass the damn puck.

You better facking believe it!!! When I say "Oy!!! Get of the fackin' ice you bloody ice hog tosser shirt lifter!!!!", that is when I am about to two-hand my own teammate who was out for ten bleedin' minutes!!!!!

Adding to the ice hog topic, my favourite guys to play pick up with are current college players, mainly 'cos they are NOT ice hogs.

The guys that don't know how to gentlemanly sandbag, E.G. in a low-level tournament that's just for fun. Bonus points if they're a grown adult and do cool celebrations like the stick-sword-sheath thing. We get it, you're a douche, move along.

I'm convinced that the amount of equipment a guy wears to stick n puck is inversely proportional to his skating ability. Case in point, I took my 10 year old to a lunchtime stick and puck the other day. There are probably about a dozen guys on the ice all in full gear... except for the worst skater. No helmet... just skates, gloves and a stick. The useless rink workers could give a crap about the guy not wearing a helmet. At one point the guy comes in to practice his dangles on an empty net, wipes out and does a knee burning slide into the net.... did I forget to mention he was wearing shorts? He sure had a rocket for a shot though... until my son gave him a one timer pass in his feet that caused him to whiff at the puck and fall to the ice again.

Adding to the ice hog topic, my favourite guys to play pick up with are current college players, mainly 'cos they are NOT ice hogs.

...actual former pros as well, and even some Junior A players.

They know they can score at will, so they never try to be that guy. I think they take it as a personal challenge to make perfect passes to benders. :)

I agree. I play in a beer league that's meh as far as guys who are very good. However, every now and then we convince our one friend who play for us who is ridiculously good. Father and mother both played D1 hockey, and his younger sister plays for UConn. From MN.. So basically he was born was skate on.

I barely see him scoring after he dangles 3 people in a row. He'd rather skate around the net and dish off a pass to somebody then score himself. It's too easy. Making that sauce pass over somebody's stick and seeing your buddy score is way more fun for them than taking another snipe shot top shelf for the 39489th time.

I agree. I play in a beer league that's meh as far as guys who are very good. However, every now and then we convince our one friend who play for us who is ridiculously good. Father and mother both played D1 hockey, and his younger sister plays for UConn. From MN.. So basically he was born was skate on.

I barely see him scoring after he dangles 3 people in a row. He'd rather skate around the net and dish off a pass to somebody then score himself. It's too easy. Making that sauce pass over somebody's stick and seeing your buddy score is way more fun for them than taking another snipe shot top shelf for the 39489th time.

But it was fun all 39488 times before, right? ;)

I remember one of those legendary (in their own minds) dangle festers at my local stick and puck. A former pro (not a name dropper) said to me whilst on the bench with him "I hope someone makes a fool out of this jerk". Next shift, I poked the puck out of danglemeister 3000's possession and the former pro skated away with it, and served it on a silver platter to the other bender on the ice.