Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

Blackstone Flat-Bottom V Thread

Does anyone else besides me think that an unofficial X-01 FAQ that compiles all the tips and techniques that we can cull from this group relating to the X-01 (and perhaps X-02) would be worthwhile?

Or perhaps just an unofficial FBV FAQ with an X-01 subsection?

Does anyone else besides me think that an unofficial X-01 FAQ that compiles all the tips and techniques that we can cull from this group relating to the X-01 (and perhaps X-02) would be worthwhile?

Or perhaps just an unofficial FBV FAQ with an X-01 subsection?

We can provide the information to Blackstone if they are interested in adding it to their site.

How much do you guys dress brand new wheels to create a profile? I've done a few light touches with the spinner, but since it's FBV, I'm concerned I'm not grinding into the wheel enough.

Kevin,

I don't know if its a valid procedure or not but when I did my brand new wheels I took a flat wide felt tip pin and marked up the edge of my wheel. You don't need to go around the whole wheel because when it's spinning you can see it anyway. I dressed until the black line was gone. Per Chiefs17's earlier post about the black line from the fine shine, this might be too much, but I think it is a different situation because the wheel doesn't already have the basic shape on it. For subsequent dresses, I have a different wheel for each spinner that I have so that I don't need to dress it so much in order to conserve the wheel/spinner.

And on the topic of felt tip pens, I also make a black line all the way down the skate blade each time so I can very easilly see if and how much high or low I am. Once I get it coarsly right with the marker line (line gone on both edges), I switch to using an edge checker. I might eventually get tuned in to it enough that I don't need to mark the blade anymore.

I'm a newbie at this though, so take anything I say with a grain of salt.

Thanks, that a good idea. I just did a harder dress and it seems to get the right shape now--I'll have to test it out again.

I've been using the marker idea to do witness marks, and it helps a lot. The thing is I've notice that on occassion, even when the mark is right down the middle and then I finish a sharpen, the bat gage says the edges are slightly off (2 ticks). Should I trust the witness marks more or the bat gage?

Thanks, that a good idea. I just did a harder dress and it seems to get the right shape now--I'll have to test it out again.

I've been using the marker idea to do witness marks, and it helps a lot. The thing is I've notice that on occassion, even when the mark is right down the middle and then I finish a sharpen, the bat gage says the edges are slightly off (2 ticks). Should I trust the witness marks more or the bat gage?

I usually don't do witness marks (i.e. small little touches of the blade on the gridner). After I make the black line on the skate. I do a light full pass. I haven't re-dressed the wheel yet because I am just trying to coarsly find the middle and I feel the shape on the wheel from the last time is already good enough for doing that. After that first pass you can usually clearly see the situation that you have going on. If both the toe and the heel are high or low you will see that one side gets taken off and the other doesn't. If the toe and heel are opposite each other you can will clearly see the line transition from one side to the other down the length of the blade. So then I make adjustments and repeat the process. After I feel that I am doing a pretty good job of being coarsely "down the middle" I lightly bump the wheel with the spinner to get a 'good" dress on the stone. If by your statement "the mark is right down the middle" you mean you can see "silver" down the middle of the blade and black down the edges, then you aren't done yet, because you still haven't ground the edges on both sides. If all of the black is gone, then I would definately use the BatGage from there. The problem is that in my opinion the BatGage is a little difficult to get consistent results with until you are used to it. It is more susceptible to gravity and "catching" on things than the magnet based tools. Plus on my sons small skate it is difficult to get a good reading in the area that is clamped by the holder (most of the blade in his small skate case). The magnet based ones you can use in the holder area as well as the heel and toe. I got a relatively cheap one (it could stand to be a little heaver) called Edge-Pro for $39.99US at edgeprohockey.com.

That's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

Witness marks are good if you're doing the skate over and over again. For the home guys who are just sharpening their own skates, you can pretty much sharpen away because they are your skates. Unlevel sharpenings will throw off your witness marks anyway.

I mostly sharpen LS2s and PITCHs - I know from memory that I have to adjust down for PITCH because it's a bit thicker than LS2.

Saw a Source for Sports commercial last night promoting FBV. First time I've seen it specifically featured in an ad.

National Sports has been running that it is available in there flyers since mid-late August

The smaller the wheel, the more you have to dress it to get a proper shape on the wheel, thus killing the life out of your Spinners. It's cheaper to buy a new wheel than a new Spinner.

JR, how can you be 100% sure the spinner is done? I'm noticing two of the ones I use the most spin longer now, yet still seem to be dressing the wheel.

Also, reg. the Batgage, in the very beginning I noticed it takes a little practice to properly put it on the blade. Is it possible to de-calibrate it somehow (by accidentally dropping it or by messing with the two crews at the bottom (I think my empoyee did that).

I also think that over time it might be loosing it's accuracy as skate blades cut into it's aluminum body.

Thank you.

Edited by Ivan

Is it possible to de-calibrate it somehow (by accidentally dropping it or by messing with the two crews at the bottom (I think my empoyee did that).

oh yeah. you have to be super careful with that

Kinda curious about the two screws at the bottom of Batgage. They don't really seem to do anything at a first glance. Or am I being wrong?

The smaller the wheel, the more you have to dress it to get a proper shape on the wheel, thus killing the life out of your Spinners. It's cheaper to buy a new wheel than a new Spinner.

JR, how can you be 100% sure the spinner is done? I'm noticing two of the ones I use the most spin longer now, yet still seem to be dressing the wheel.

Also, reg. the Batgage, in the very beginning I noticed it takes a little practice to properly put it on the blade. Is it possible to de-calibrate it somehow (by accidentally dropping it or by messing with the two crews at the bottom (I think my empoyee did that).

I also think that over time it might be loosing it's accuracy as skate blades cut into it's aluminum body.

Thank you.

I believe once you see a different color (basically what is under the diamond) and you start to see sparks.

I've noticed that it takes about twice as many passes to sharpen stainless steel on the X-01. I'd recommend the X-02 for those who frequently sharpen stainless steel, at least until Blackstone produces a grittier wheel.

Update to anybody in the Chicago area looking for FBV, started working at B&R Sports Aurora yesterday and they got a Blackstone machine in with FBV, supposed to have been hooked up today @ 1. Looking forward to trying it out since I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Hockey Shop and i think there is only one more that do FBV in Vancouver, anyone know of anyone else? Its too far of a commute to get done, i talked to some shop owners and they are waiting to see the reaction it gets then they might think of moving to FBV.

Hockey Shop and i think there is only one more that do FBV in Vancouver, anyone know of anyone else? Its too far of a commute to get done, i talked to some shop owners and they are waiting to see the reaction it gets then they might think of moving to FBV.

Danny L of Larry's Sports should be convinced to get one. I can't believe they're so closed to getting it. I didn't buy mine for making money of it and breathe the skates dust. But it sure has paid for itself buy driving more customers to the store to just sharpen and then when they see the stuff I got, they buy it. I can't understand how being busy as they are they still haven't gotten one.

Edited by Ivan

Danny L of Larry's Sports should be convinced to get one. I can't believe they're so closed to getting it. I didn't buy mine for making money of it and breathe the skates dust. But it sure has paid for itself buy driving more customers to the store to just sharpen and then when they see the stuff I got, they buy it. I can't understand how being busy as they are they still haven't gotten one.

I have the inside scoop on Larry's. Ever since they hired John Porter (good guy, excellent sharpener) with his Dupliskate machine, they've put most of the skate sharpening on him. Since they rarely use their Blackstones much anymore, they don't see the justification of getting the FBV.

I'd keep going back to John, but it's too much of a commute living in Richmond, so I got my own machine.

I have question on the v-cut. My son tried the v-cut. In our area we have only 1 rink with the v-cut. Changing back and forth from v-cut to the old way of sharpening, what does that do to the blade? Does it need to be specially addressed when going from v-cut back to the old way of sharpening? Any other concerns I should be aware of? Thanks for the help

I have question on the v-cut. My son tried the v-cut. In our area we have only 1 rink with the v-cut. Changing back and forth from v-cut to the old way of sharpening, what does that do to the blade? Does it need to be specially addressed when going from v-cut back to the old way of sharpening? Any other concerns I should be aware of? Thanks for the help

Each sharpening will take a little longer, nothing to worry about.

Anyone in the Pittsburgh area looking to get the FBV sharpening, Hockey'n at in Aspinwall, PA (Not House of Hockey) has a Blackstone with a FBV wheel, with plans on getting more wheels shortly. Going to take my Graf's down there next week.

Just had to make a fast comment on here. I have been saying since page one this was a great idea......some did believe some werent to keen...then there was the people that have stores around the stores I work with that said it was terrible and would never fly and now I see 5 of them on the Blackstone sight.

Wow to funny.