Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

habsfan87

08-09 Montreal Canadiens Thread

It appears Lang may be out for the rest of the season (or career) from a lacerated achilles tendon.

Aw shit. If that's what it is...he'll be done for the year for sure....but, you can come back from that. His age may play a factor...but Kyle Chipchura has the same injury in Jr.

I've been trying to remain optimistic about this team, even through these struggles...but Christ...now, I just want them to beat Toronto on Sat and the rest of the season can go up shit creek for all I care...this is getting harder and harder to watch.

It appears Lang may be out for the rest of the season (or career) from a lacerated achilles tendon.

Aw shit. If that's what it is...he'll be done for the year for sure....but, you can come back from that. His age may play a factor...but Kyle Chipchura has the same injury in Jr.

I've been trying to remain optimistic about this team, even through these struggles...but Christ...now, I just want them to beat Toronto on Sat and the rest of the season can go up shit creek for all I care...this is getting harder and harder to watch.

That's funny, the Saturday game is the only game that I want the Leafs to win for the rest of the season. I wouldn't worry too much about them this season. They're skidding, but sometimes that might not be a bad thing. If they go into the playoffs as a five or six seed, they'll fly under the radar and can take teams by surprise. If they go in as the 1 seed they can only win the Cup or massively fail. Sometimes the less pressure the better. I just think (like everyone else is saying) that they need to kick Kovalev's ass into gear. They're almost unbeatable when he scores, and mediocre when he doesn't. With Lang gone I'm sure they'll make a trade and shake things up. That should only help.

I really liked the jerseys today, they just didn't translate on to TV well.

That's funny, the Saturday game is the only game that I want the Leafs to win for the rest of the season. I wouldn't worry too much about them this season. They're skidding, but sometimes that might not be a bad thing. If they go into the playoffs as a five or six seed, they'll fly under the radar and can take teams by surprise. If they go in as the 1 seed they can only win the Cup or massively fail. Sometimes the less pressure the better. I just think (like everyone else is saying) that they need to kick Kovalev's ass into gear. They're almost unbeatable when he scores, and mediocre when he doesn't. With Lang gone I'm sure they'll make a trade and shake things up. That should only help.

I really liked the jerseys today, they just didn't translate on to TV well.

I'm going Sat...their record when I'm there is not good 1-3 (I think)...so yeah, I'd like to see that change...

Tanguay should be back soon...so that should help ease the pain of the loss of Lang...

If you look at the Photo Gallery on the Habs site from today's game...they look pretty good...but yeah...on TV they were really hard to watch.

Even with Tanguay coming back do you think they'll shop for another forward? Lang's goals are hard to replace from within, and weren't the Habs adamant that they needed a scoring center besides Koivu and Plekanec? Vinnie might work now more than ever.... Can't help but think that he could have a Joe Thornton effect and get them back on the right track.

haha im glad kovalev is on the habs. its funny to see so many people count on someone who just flat out does not care. If i were the GM id get rid of him asap. Price is not the godsend everyone made him out to be, his glove is slow and every player in the league knows it. They let Streit go which f***ked them six ways to sunday. The habs need help. a lot of help.

Even with Tanguay coming back do you think they'll shop for another forward? Lang's goals are hard to replace from within, and weren't the Habs adamant that they needed a scoring center besides Koivu and Plekanec? Vinnie might work now more than ever.... Can't help but think that he could have a Joe Thornton effect and get them back on the right track.

At this point, I don't know what they should do. Even for Vinnie...I don't like the 5 or 6 for 1 scenarios.

As it stands (coach Radio did these line combos...they are in no way official):

Tanguay/Koivu/Kovalev

A. Kostitsyn/Plekanec/S. Kostitsyn

Higgins/Lapierre/Kostopolous/D'Agostini

Pacioretty/Begin/Latendresse/Laraque

if 'the' Trade happens

Tanguay/Vinnie/Kovalev

Andrei/Koivu/Sergei

D'Agostini/Chipchura/Kostopolous/Latendresse

Pacioretty/Lapierre/Maxwell/Begin/Laraque

(am I forgetting anyone??)

We know what the guys on the roster now can do...they've all shown it...they just aren't playing up to potential right now. If they do - (I think) I still trust the guys they have now to turn this around...

Not to mention that the D gets weaker if Gorges is included to get Vinnie.

*shrug* Like I said...I dunno.

The Habs would have to move a few guys to clear the cap room for Vinnie, even with Lang out for the year. There is more than a $3M difference in their salaries.

The Habs would have to move a few guys to clear the cap room for Vinnie, even with Lang out for the year. There is more than a $3M difference in their salaries.

Pleky 1.6

Higgins 1.7

Gorges 1.1

Lang (IR) 4.00

Gone - 8.4

Vinnie 6.8

The math works doesn't it?

Probably also guarantees that any 2 of Koivu/Kovalev/Tanguay/Komisarek are not re-signed.

haha im glad kovalev is on the habs. its funny to see so many people count on someone who just flat out does not care. If i were the GM id get rid of him asap. Price is not the godsend everyone made him out to be, his glove is slow and every player in the league knows it. They let Streit go which f***ked them six ways to sunday. The habs need help. a lot of help.

hi hater

Pleky 1.6

Higgins 1.7

Gorges 1.1

Lang (IR) 4.00

Gone - 8.4

Vinnie 6.8

The math works doesn't it?

Probably also guarantees that any 2 of Koivu/Kovalev/Tanguay/Komisarek are not re-signed.

For some completely unfounded reason I've never thought Tanguay would re-sign. Koivu I think is a lifer. Depending on how the season plays out, would the Habs even want Kovalev back? And I think Komisarek is going to be getting a lot of big offers this summer, might be too hard to turn down.

The numbers work, didn't see exactly what was being proposed earlier. Given the number of UFAs, Montreal would have to be very careful making a 3 for 1 deal for Vinny. I would want to get either Kovy or Tanguay signed before making the deal. I do agree that Koivu might be willing to sign for less to stay in Montreal though.

The numbers work, didn't see exactly what was being proposed earlier. Given the number of UFAs, Montreal would have to be very careful making a 3 for 1 deal for Vinny. I would want to get either Kovy or Tanguay signed before making the deal. I do agree that Koivu might be willing to sign for less to stay in Montreal though.

Plus draft picks and Subban, if what we've read/heard is true. I even heard that T'Bay wants Markov...I KNOW BG won't do that.

Plus draft picks and Subban, if what we've read/heard is true. I even heard that T'Bay wants Markov...I KNOW BG won't do that.

More than anything Tampa needs defense and goaltending. That trade wouldn't help them all that much, but it would give them some depth up front.

It would clear up a lot of cap space to sign a D man or so, as well as one or two first round picks. If i were tampa (attendence and fan base not in the equation) i would take the trade. It would allow your on ice product to be very good in the long run. However it is florida, and hockey is not the biggest attraction. Loosing vinny could hurt the fan base.

They should give their fans a poll, asking how they would feel about the trade. If they all say do it!, your in the clear. theres no harm in asking.

It would clear up a lot of cap space to sign a D man or so, as well as one or two first round picks. If i were tampa (attendence and fan base not in the equation) i would take the trade. It would allow your on ice product to be very good in the long run. However it is florida, and hockey is not the biggest attraction. Loosing vinny could hurt the fan base.

They should give their fans a poll, asking how they would feel about the trade. If they all say do it!, your in the clear. theres no harm in asking.

They give the fans a say in who should be in the ASG and they don't get that right (in most people's eyes)...The LAST thing you want to do is actually let the fans have a say in how the team is run. Acknowledge that the fans are important...but a poll on player movement is just ASKING for trouble.

Given the fact that Lecavalier and St Louis have complained non-stop about every coach they've had in Tampa, I'd think they were better off moving everyone they can and starting over. Montreal fans might want to be careful what they ask for.

given Montreal's 'drive for 25' or whatever, Tampa should really exploit their desperateness and trade one or the other. hell, go with chadd and trade them both. It would give Mont a legit shot at the cup and the biggest trade in NHL history... which could also turn out to be the worst trade in nhl history. Tampa has a great opportunity here.

Given the fact that Lecavalier and St Louis have complained non-stop about every coach they've had in Tampa, I'd think they were better off moving everyone they can and starting over. Montreal fans might want to be careful what they ask for.

That's along the lines of what I was thinking. The Lightning management should know by know that their off season acquisitions have failed miserably and that they are not a playoff team this year (and baring a miracle, next season either). Trading Vinnie would signify the clear beginning of a rebuild. Get rid of St. Louis and any other veterans who they can get value for. I can't help but see a parallel between Tampa's recent approach and what Toronto tried to do following the lockout. Signing over the hill forwards and overrated players to hide from deficiencies elsewhere in the organization clearly does not work anymore. They need a youth movement down there, and they are lucky to have a great person to build around in Stamkos. It will be a while before the Lightning are contenders again and at that point are Vinnie and St Louis going to be as effective as they are now? I think not.

There are so many up and coming teams building from within that there might not be a great market for high priced talent. Tampa could be whipping out the checkbook this summer to send some boys packing.

Get rid of Kovalev and let addition by subtraction do its magic.

I agree, Kovalev has been playing terrible of late. Hopefully the benching will help turn his play around.