Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

habsfan87

08-09 Montreal Canadiens Thread

I think if it's a quick fight coming in the heat of the moment, the onus isn't on the player to take off his visor, but in a fight like that, where both players know it's coming and are ready to go, he needs to take it off. Especially when he was hiding behind it for alot of the fight.

I half expected May to make some kind of gesture while they were dancing around, but I think it dawned on him that he was fighting Francis Boullion. The Leafs were down, May was obviously looking for that fight as opposed to the other way around, so I don't really have a problem with Boullion keeping his lid on. As it turned out, he would have gotten tuned up pretty badly if he took his helmet off before that fight.

May's hand must have KILLED after that fight though, ouch.

Even thought i admire his courage, i think Kostopoulos should take a break from picking up fights he has no chance of winning. Tom Kostopoulos wants to fight me, how intimidating! He's not Bouillon who may be small but dangerous.

On another note, i heard a funny rumor on the radio today: Price is not injured, he's in alcohol rehab! Take that with a grain of salt...

Even thought i admire his courage, i think Kostopoulos should take a break from picking up fights he has no chance of winning. Tom Kostopoulos wants to fight me, how intimidating! He's not Bouillon who may be small but dangerous.

On another note, i heard a funny rumor on the radio today: Price is not injured, he's in alcohol rehab! Take that with a grain of salt...

If I had to deal with those fans I would need rehab too

Was this a listener rumor...or host rumor?

Speaking of rumors...

Vincent Lecavalier could be available and (according to TSN) Montreal could be offering as much as:

Higgins and/or Plekanec

PK Subban

2 Draft picks

I don't get why Vinny would be available, if I'm TB I'd shed St. Louis or possibly even Stamkos before him. I don't know if that offer is good enough for Vinny, even if those picks are first rounders.

On a related note, why does it seem like Higgins is involved in every single Habs rumor? Does Montreal not think that he is a part of their future?

Al Strachan said Vinny is available, I don't think that package of Higgins/Subban/2 1st rounders would be near enough for him though. Strachan said something like both Kostitsyn's, Comisarek, and something else I think...sounded a little outrageous at the time, and Strachan could have just made that up, but that sounds more like what I'd expect for a player like Lecavalier.

With the salary that is kicking in for Vinnie and the fact that the Cap is going down in the next cuple years....forget the value to get Vinnie...Montreal has to get rid of those players to make room for his salary...plus, most likely...goodbye to Kovalev and maybe Koivu as well...depedning on how many go int eh actual trade.

As good as Vinnie is...I'd hate to see that many self developed players go, for the sake of 1 player back.

(courtesy Bobby Mac on tsn.ca)

What the deal might end up being is anybody's guess, but sources in Montreal say the actual offer the Canadiens have put on the table for Lecavalier does NOT include defenceman Mike Komisarek, nor is it likely to, but would see Tomas Plekanec, Chris Higgins, prospect P.K. Subban, Josh Gorges and a package of draft picks including more than one first-round pick going to Tampa.

As much as I wanna see Lecavalier in a Habs jersey...I don't know if i'd be willing to give THAT much for him (and no because he's not worth it, of course)...just because I'd hate to see players like Plekanec and Gorges leave. Subban is going to be great but since he's not WITH the habs right now, it's not as big of a loss. We'll see what happens but I'm still not believing this whole story. Imagine his name on the back of a red white and blue jersey though :o

It would definitely be nice to see Vinny in a Habs jersey but I agree with radiogaga, I'd hate to see some of those players go, the ones who got them out of the tough times and have came up through the draft, hopefully they can figure something else out. That being said, Vinny does not want to come to Montreal all that much because of the media/craziness, and coming from Tampa I'm not too sure how he would handle it, maybe better, maybe worse. It'd be nice if Tampa really just wanted to dump the salary and excepted alot of draft picks/ahler's and maybe just one roster player

Something doesn't feel right about this trade. I have a bad feeling that Montreal are going to deeply regret the trade if they go for it.

Bob seemed to have his limits last year when Hossa was in play. 4 "elements" I believe. I don't think he'll move 3-4 active players, a prospect and 2-3 picks (6-8 'elements') for 1.

I'm ok with the package brought up except for Georges, he has to be one of the most consistant defencemen this year.

Do they need to get rid of that many people because of the potential hit to the cap space?? I don't think Lecavalier is worth that much. I think the Habs would regret getting rid of Subban before he gets a shot at the minors/NHL. He looked really good at the World Juniors. I just think that 5+ people is a huge lot for just one guy. And while Lecavalier puts up pretty good numbers on a bad team, I just don't think he's worth that much.

I can't imagine anything coming from this, mostly from the Tampa side, but the guys running the show treat this like fantasy league, so who knows.

But at 28 Vinny will be a top star in this league for years to come, and is at an age where you can still built around him. He would be good trait bait for a number of potentially good players, but trading your star for other teams prospects rarely does as well as focusing on a teams own scouting and developing that.

The Joe Thorton Trade isn't the reason the Bruins are where they are.

For Vinny, I can't imagine him really wanting to be the star of the Habs, the potential is great, but the downside is greater. He would obviously become the Quebec God, followed with every move. They will expect Beliveau type results and when they don't get it, they turn quickly.

For the Habs, although I think they need another high end stick to take them to the next level, I don't think tearing good components off the team will give them Stanley results this year

The difference between the JTho trade and this potential one is that its been rumored that Vinny is on the market. Part of why Boston didn't get a kings ransom for Thornton is because it was rumored that no other GMs knew he available. I bet almost every GM in the league has called TB to see what they're looking for since this rumor began.

I just don't see this happening. I can't see Montreal giving up three roster players; I can't see Tampa swinging a deal for anything less than a whole new team.

Price was on the ice for 45 min, pain free, today. Looks like he's close. I'd still like to see him skip the ASG.

In other Habs news...I really thought a trip to Hamilton would solve O'Byrne's issues...but it as hasn't. He has looked bad (save for a good shift or 2 here and there) since he came down.

As much as I wanna see Lecavalier in a Habs jersey...I don't know if i'd be willing to give THAT much for him (and no because he's not worth it, of course)...just because I'd hate to see players like Plekanec and Gorges leave. Subban is going to be great but since he's not WITH the habs right now, it's not as big of a loss. We'll see what happens but I'm still not believing this whole story. Imagine his name on the back of a red white and blue jersey though :o

Even though he is not with the Habs now, in the future they will try to build around prospects which makes that a big loss. I really can't see Vinny going to Montreal and the GM of Tampa confirmed that he is not being shopped around.

Even though he is not with the Habs now, in the future they will try to build around prospects which makes that a big loss. I really can't see Vinny going to Montreal and the GM of Tampa confirmed that he is not being shopped around.

All that means is that they may not be making the calls about trading him...but trading him is definitely an option for TB and they are listening to offers when they come. I put almost zero faith in what the people who run pro sports teams people say to the public.

I know it's risky to trade away prospects but I would rather not see someone who developed through the organization go. I also agree with Radio, the credibility these days is not something I take too seriously when it comes to this sort of thing.

All that means is that they may not be making the calls about trading him...but trading him is definitely an option for TB and they are listening to offers when they come. I put almost zero faith in what the people who run pro sports teams people say to the public.

I never really looked at it that way i just figured that not being shopped means not even open for trades.