Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

troy

Avery suspended

Women in tight clothes is ubiquidous in pro sports and American culture.

Well said. Of course there is a difference in how I feel, condemnable to Avery's words and just disgusted at the ice girls.

While the Capitals also don't objectify women to clean the ice (using local youth players), I don't think that was the main point of the article. You don't think it seems hypocritical of an organization to condemn Avery's words when they willingly market female sexuality? Just look at the Carolina Hurricanes' so-called cheerleaders, it is disgraceful and not needed in hockey.

Those women who's sexuality is being marketed are volunteering, and being paid to wear the clothes. They can decide not to, and quit if they want.

Elisha Cuthbert (regardless of anyones opinion on the person), did not volunteer to be called, essentially a tramp in front of the media of both the US and Canada.

It's not at all hypocritical to condemn degrading talk, while marketing sexuality.

By that standard, because Miller used the "Great taste/less filling" ad, should any accusations of sexual harrassment be dismissed, because women know what they are getting if they work at miller?

Completely different things.

What avery did is not hockey, not "old school" hockey, not "new nhl" hockey.

IT's just a complete tool, being a tool, again, and getting taken to task for it.

Ralph Strangis has his say: http://stars.nhl.com/team/app/?service=pag...rticleid=396741

This is a very unfortunate episode in an abysmal first ten weeks of Stars hockey. Let’s be clear; Sean Avery – although certainly not without blame or adverse affect on the group - is not the reason the Dallas Stars are in the Western Conference cellar.
One of hockey’s long-standing tenets is to accept old rivals as new teammates; you may have bloodied or trashed talked each other in past conflicts, but now you’re both wearing the same uniform and that trumps all. In all my years around the game I can’t remember seeing an exception to this. Until now.

Avery’s reputation – which by all accounts – he worked hard to earn and richly deserved – permeated the Stars room like a foul odor well before he ever physically set foot in it. Once he did get here – he did not go out of his way to overcome it. And things deteriorated from there.

Interesting update:

A well-placed hockey industry source told ESPN.com on Wednesday evening there was a rumor percolating that Avery's old team, the New York Rangers, were interested in dealing defenseman Michal Rozsival and his four-year, $20-million deal to Dallas in exchange for Avery.

Source: http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3761075

Interesting update:
A well-placed hockey industry source told ESPN.com on Wednesday evening there was a rumor percolating that Avery's old team, the New York Rangers, were interested in dealing defenseman Michal Rozsival and his four-year, $20-million deal to Dallas in exchange for Avery.

Source: http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3761075

That made no sense until I read that the Rangers would then send Avery to their AHL team. It still makes their already suspect defense a little weaker and that doesn't make much sense to me.

When (not if) Mats signs with NYR on Wednesday, things could get interesting... :D

Not to 'jack this thread but...with Higgins and now maybe Koivu out...I think BG might up the push for Sundin to Montreal a bit. So, unless you have something from the inside...I don't know that Sundin to NYR is a done deal.

When (not if) Mats signs with NYR on Wednesday, things could get interesting... :D

Not to 'jack this thread but...with Higgins and now maybe Koivu out...I think BG might up the push for Sundin to Montreal a bit. So, unless you have something from the inside...I don't know that Sundin to NYR is a done deal.

I thought it was tradition that big names went to NYR for big bucks to end their career no? :P

20 pages and 294 post and Avery still has the hockey world talking :)

40 years and limitless publications and Pol Pot still has the international community talking.

No, I am not saying Sean Avery is the Pol Pot of hockey. Yes, I am saying that measuring publicity is ethically and athletically meaningless.

I'm sure his publicist is absolutely loving this situation; I seriously doubt anyone involved in his hockey career - even his player-agent - has anything positive to say on the subject. I'm sure the publicist is already dreaming of regular columns in GQ and Maxim and a biopic where he plays himself: "Troubled young man makes it to the big leagues, but needs help to overcome personal demons... edgy dialogue, hot celebrity girlfriends, some light bondage scenes when he shags his psychiatrist... wait, what do you mean we can't get the rights to use NHL team logos?"

20 pages and 294 post and Avery still has the hockey world talking :)

40 years and limitless publications and Pol Pot still has the international community talking.

No, I am not saying Sean Avery is the Pol Pot of hockey. Yes, I am saying that measuring publicity is ethically and athletically meaningless.

I'm sure his publicist is absolutely loving this situation; I seriously doubt anyone involved in his hockey career - even his player-agent - has anything positive to say on the subject. I'm sure the publicist is already dreaming of regular columns in GQ and Maxim and a biopic where he plays himself: "Troubled young man makes it to the big leagues, but needs help to overcome personal demons... edgy dialogue, hot celebrity girlfriends, some light bondage scenes when he shags his psychiatrist... wait, what do you mean we can't get the rights to use NHL team logos?"

No, the hypocrites in the NHL offices would want the added visibility that comes with being part of the movie, they would just want the producers to change the name of the player.

The Stars have acquired forward Brian Sutherby from Anaheim, surely to help fill the gap left by Avery's absence. Considering Avery only had 3 goals so far I'd say that Sutherby might even be an upgrade.

Not sure if this was mentioned in previous posts

after watching Sportsnet Hockey Central Friday night, Kypreos and Watters mentioned a possible trade between the Leafs and Dallas

Sean Avery + 2nd Rounder to Toronto

for

Jason Blake

Their reasons are Blake is not a rebuilding type player, he's not good with "kids". Avery is so low right now he'll do anything to get back on ANY team, he'll keep his mouth shut and play. With Wilson and Burke in T.O. they'll make sure Avery is set straight, and he's near home where his family is.

Not a rumour, more of a "blog"

I find this kinda funny, Burke hates the guy and can't stand him. Avery will not benefit the rebuilding process of the Leafs