Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

troy

Avery suspended

He was suspended because of his imbecility, not just because of his words. Should the NHL let idiots do whatever they want in front of cameras? Maybe, a lot of you guys think so; personally, i think it's a great think to sanction moronic attitudes.

I only wish I could be in the stars locker room when he comes back. If his team was so outspoken about avery before and after the incident. I am curious as how it will be now that hes coming back to the stars after they all thought he was going to be outta there.

You're on crack if you think Avery's setting foot on the ice in a Dallas jersey again.

He got 6 game suspension, where would he play besides dallas? (Serious question)

If the Stars can pull it off, no where or anywhere but Dallas. They're looking into every option they have, legally, to insure that he does not return. Since they do not have an AHL affiliate, technically they can send him anywhere if he clears waivers and the other team accepts. I still think it's hilarious that one of the Star's suggested Russia or Finland as an option. There will be a team somewhere that needs an agitator or a prick, and would snap up Avery if he becomes available, which he will.

Then there's also the tricky little conduct clause in his contract, which is where the legality comes into play with voiding his contract. As for short term, they can scratch him every game, which doesn't fix the locker room problem, but keeps him off the ice. The team could also suspend him further, which I'm sure they're looking in to.

With Turco and Modano hinting at him not returning, and then Tippet putting the nails in the coffin, it's pretty clear he won't be coming back.

A sad sad day when words suspend someone longer than a sucker punch and/or similar types of incidents, I'm done with the NHL, have been mostly for a while but this pretty much seals it..

Sucker punches and otherwise, are part of the game. Always have been, unfortunately always will be. The NHL is unwilling to step up their punishment for things like sucker punches or hits from behind, because the exact same play has usually already happened in the past, so there is some basis to go off of.

stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid

I agree it is stupid that the NHL doesn't come down harder on illegal plays with a serious intent to injure, but for whatever reason, they won't.

If they just randomly suspended the next player who hits someone from behind for 10 games, the PA would be all over them for it because that isn't consistent with how they have handed down discipline in the past. If the case went the route of independent arbitration, the league would very likely lose.

In the Avery case there is no clear precedent, the NHL had a chance to come down (reasonably) hard on him, and they took it. I bet there are a lot of people in hockey who would have liked the suspension to be even longer.

they will have to pay him to sit out all year, then buy him out at a cap hit of $2mil for 6 years

in today's economy that means they are paying for Sean and unable/unwilling to spend for anyone else..can't wait to see who comes up from A/E or Finland to takes his place...

Avery will land on his feet, the conduct clause doesn't mean a thing on the NHL contract with all the players who have been let back in post-suspension

to the person who said sucker punches/stick fouls (Ted Green anyone?)/etc are part of the game..you're an idiot...when actions are punished harsher than words..it is a serious problem, the NHL has taken a league that was on the verge of greatness in 94 and essentially ruined it with poor management, 2 lockouts, no television, and is putting its foot down over words said to the media...it has taken NFL drug cases and Plax off the back page because of the phrase sloppy seconds...at least I know the name of my next league team

OK, I get what Avery said is wrong and out of line.

But Gary Bettman is having some serious conflicts of interest here. You can't talk about women and stir things up to create attention for a game. But you can trot out half naked women to clean the ice in between stoppages to attract fans? Gary won't allow players to demean women, but objectifying them as 'ice girls' is just fine.

So I guess when I have a kid and bring him to a game, I can explain to him that girls who dress up slutty just really like to clean things.

to the person who said sucker punches/stick fouls (Ted Green anyone?)/etc are part of the game..you're an idiot...when actions are punished harsher than words..it is a serious problem

So stick fouls and sucker punches aren't part of hockey? That's queer, because I could have sworn they've been going on as long as the game's been played. One thing I haven't heard of going on as long as the game's been played is assholes like Avery issuing wrestling-style speeches to the media to stir up a rivalry.

You're the one that sounds like an idiot. What they hell are you talking about, 'when actions are punished harsher than words'....you would prefer words to be punished harsher than actions? Get your story straight, bud.

But Gary Bettman is having some serious conflicts of interest here. You can't talk about women and stir things up to create attention for a game. But you can trot out half naked women to clean the ice in between stoppages to attract fans? Gary won't allow players to demean women, but objectifying them as 'ice girls' is just fine.

So I guess when I have a kid and bring him to a game, I can explain to him that girls who dress up slutty just really like to clean things.

If you can't see the difference then I can't help you.

So its ok that the NHL and teams roll out hald naked girls to clean the ice but its bad for a player to speak negatively about his ex in a sexual way?

To me this just show that the league has its priorities screwed up. Yes Avery deserved a suspension, but 6 games worth? Basically the league has said with this ruling that words are worth more than dangerous play. While its going to keep down future statements about exes its not going to stop dangerous play. Kudos to Bettman for making sure that the game is seen in a positive light.

So its ok that the NHL and teams roll out hald naked girls to clean the ice but its bad for a player to speak negatively about his ex in a sexual way?

To me this just show that the league has its priorities screwed up. Yes Avery deserved a suspension, but 6 games worth? Basically the league has said with this ruling that words are worth more than dangerous play. While its going to keep down future statements about exes its not going to stop dangerous play. Kudos to Bettman for making sure that the game is seen in a positive light.

There's a great article on The Hockey News website right now dealing with Dallas and objectifying women. It shows the hypocrisy of the organization. I think Dallas is just using this incident as a scapegoat to cover their terrible play all year. A player who's notorious for saying outlandish comments, makes an outlandish comment, so they ride it to the ground, saying it's the reason the team is shit, rather than admitting the team is shit.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/2082...suspension.html

Once again, even if Sean Avery is being scapegoated by Dallas, it's his own fault for being fool enough to give them cause. If you know you're on thin ice, you don't start stamping your feet in frustration.

I'd be pleased to see him driven out of professional hockey. It's not that he's all that bad - he's frankly not a gifted enough pest or fighter to be a real evil - but that he's come to represent some of the most despicable aspects of the game. More to the point, he WANTS to represent them. Turf him out and all those wannabe hangers-on learn their lesson.

There's a great article on The Hockey News website right now dealing with Dallas and objectifying women. It shows the hypocrisy of the organization. I think Dallas is just using this incident as a scapegoat to cover their terrible play all year. A player who's notorious for saying outlandish comments, makes an outlandish comment, so they ride it to the ground, saying it's the reason the team is shit, rather than admitting the team is shit.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/2082...suspension.html

I think it was Dan Libotard on PTI the other day who brought up a good point. If the Stars were winning and had a good record would the Stars be so public about not wanting him back? I'm sure if they were in SJ's position you'd be hearing things like "he's just got to learn to control himself" and "its just a part of his game". While I don't doubt that he is unpopular in the locker room, I'm pretty shocked his teammates are so quick to throw him under the bus. All those guys have been playing hockey their whole lives. You'd have thought they'd have had a few teammates like Avery in the past and could put up with it.

oh my god, I swapped words, everyone including you knew what I meant, you can knock a player out for a year with a concussion and serve 2-3 games, trash your ex and her new bf on tv and get 6, sorry that doesn't compute...

fighting, checking, playing hard, scrapping, verbal warfare, etc, all have places in the game, hits from behind, elbows to the head with the hard caps, leaving a knee, all bullshit..bobby clarke breaking an ankle during the super series isn't heroic, its a joke,

as for people using the media to drum up the game, you may have heard of this guy called Don Cherry that makes a good living at it, saying controversial things to get people all riled up...

if you believe in sucker punching and/or stick swinging you are part of the problem and not the solution

Razor on Avery: http://www.andrewsstarspage.com/index.php/...ery/619-2008-09

I've never heard him just trash a player like that. Ever. Razor is one of the best commentators in the business, and this was just... shocking. That said, Avery is not the sole reason why Dallas has played poorly. Turco's been abysmal, the defense has gone MIA, and injuries to key players have all hit them hard. They have won 3 of their past 4, so yeah, I think Avery had a bit to do with it, but not as much as it's being made out to be.

...Unfortunately though, the game has started to look a lot like Basketball now -- everything is a penalty. i see tons of mystery hooks during every game. Lifting a stick is not a hook and I hate the fact that the best league in the world is now calling that a hook most nights! Problem #2 -- the head shots issue -- I'm sorry but it's part of the game. These players have been taught how to play from an early age and part of that training is how to take a hit -- players should not put themselves in position to get anhilated. And yes -- sometimes it's just gonna happen. That's a tradition (just like the leagues image regarding Avery) that needs to be upheld -- this being one of the most hardnosed, gritty games ever played.

...With that being said though -- he's not a garbage Ryan Hollweg type player -- Avery can single handily win a playoff series for a team, not many players can put that on their resume.

....EVERYONE IS ENTITLED TO AN OPINION

CMFS = Donkey. I agree with your problem #1 around the phantom penalties. I think the league was intending to cut down on obstruction, which they have. Players adjusted to the new style and then penalties went down accordingly. The geniuses in NY decided that would mean fewer goals, so more penalties were called again. I think this is pretty weak.

With regards to #2 - head shots really aren't that much a part of a game. If you look at games from a decade ago, there really weren't as many hits to the dome (Scott Stevens being a notable exception).

And your comment about Avery single handily winning a playoff series? Avery has never done that! We aren't talking about Joey Sakic of Stevie Y here for shits sake! What are you on?

Are the Stars forcing these women to be a part of their Ice Girls team? Last I checked, they all signed on of their own volition and they seem rather proud to be chosen. Equating that to Avery purposefully calling over the cameras and using a very negative sexual connotation just doesn't fly.

oh my god, I swapped words, everyone including you knew what I meant, you can knock a player out for a year with a concussion and serve 2-3 games, trash your ex and her new bf on tv and get 6, sorry that doesn't compute...

fighting, checking, playing hard, scrapping, verbal warfare, etc, all have places in the game, hits from behind, elbows to the head with the hard caps, leaving a knee, all bullshit..bobby clarke breaking an ankle during the super series isn't heroic, its a joke,

as for people using the media to drum up the game, you may have heard of this guy called Don Cherry that makes a good living at it, saying controversial things to get people all riled up...

if you believe in sucker punching and/or stick swinging you are part of the problem and not the solution

Don Cherry is an idiot who has probably harmed the game more than helped it.

So "sloppy seconds" earns a longer suspension than
. Nice job NHL :blink:

Agreed! NHL continues to lose my respect for not cracking down on hits that are flat out dangerous.

And I completely disagree w/ the comments earlier that cheapshots/elbows/etc are "part of the game". THEY HAPPEN -- but it's not a part of the game that is SUPPOSED to happen nor does it have a place in the game.

...Unfortunately though, the game has started to look a lot like Basketball now -- everything is a penalty. i see tons of mystery hooks during every game. Lifting a stick is not a hook and I hate the fact that the best league in the world is now calling that a hook most nights! Problem #2 -- the head shots issue -- I'm sorry but it's part of the game. These players have been taught how to play from an early age and part of that training is how to take a hit -- players should not put themselves in position to get anhilated. And yes -- sometimes it's just gonna happen. That's a tradition (just like the leagues image regarding Avery) that needs to be upheld -- this being one of the most hardnosed, gritty games ever played.

...With that being said though -- he's not a garbage Ryan Hollweg type player -- Avery can single handily win a playoff series for a team, not many players can put that on their resume.

....EVERYONE IS ENTITLED TO AN OPINION

CMFS = Donkey. I agree with your problem #1 around the phantom penalties. I think the league was intending to cut down on obstruction, which they have. Players adjusted to the new style and then penalties went down accordingly. The geniuses in NY decided that would mean fewer goals, so more penalties were called again. I think this is pretty weak.

With regards to #2 - head shots really aren't that much a part of a game. If you look at games from a decade ago, there really weren't as many hits to the dome (Scott Stevens being a notable exception).

And your comment about Avery single handily winning a playoff series? Avery has never done that! We aren't talking about Joey Sakic of Stevie Y here for shits sake! What are you on?

Avery won the series against NJ last year -- he had that entire team (especially their #1 guy Broduer) off of their game and even had a few points to show for it at the end of the series too. Broduer was more concerned about cross checking him in the back of the head than stopping pucks, guys were going out of their way to take runs at him, and the whole time the rangers are collecting wins. Before you know it, series is over and NJ is golfing.

*I beg to differ on your head shots analysis -- long before (your boy) Kariya got lit up by Stevens, head shots occured in hockey

*I'm glad that we agree on something (phantom penalties in the NHL)

Grazstrom = Genuine Donkey!!!

Cherry ran the tape last night where on 10/24 he said Brett Hull would be sorry for signing Avery. Cherry is not an Avery guy.

At the end of Coach's Corner, Don Cherry pays final respects to those Canadian armed services members who make the ultimate sacrifice for their country. Not exactly an idiotic thing to do.

A blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

Don Cherry has been around the pro game for what, almost 50 years? He knows what he's talking about. Is he politically correct? Of course not, but most people his age aren't.

There was a big national poll by the Canadian Broadcast Corp a few years ago to determine 'The Greatest Canadian' of all-time. Don Cherry finished 7th overall, ALL TIME, ahead of Sir John A. MacDonald (first Prime Minister) and Alexander Graham Bell (inventor of the telephone).

My favorite point is made in the first paragraph.

http://thehockeynews.com/articles/20828-TH...suspension.html

edit: And this, haha!

This is the same team that, if you click on their website, you’ll find a section dedicated solely to something called the “Planet Tan Ice Girls,” a group of 16 young women with names such as Meagan, Kristin, Angie, Meggie and Kaylynn who skate out in tight pants and halter tops with lots of midriff showing to clear off the ice during TV timeouts (Notice how none of the NHL teams ever uses the overweight Zamboni driver with the ball cap and the mullet to do that particular task?).

My favorite point is made in the first paragraph.

http://thehockeynews.com/articles/20828-TH...suspension.html

edit: And this, haha!

This is the same team that, if you click on their website, you’ll find a section dedicated solely to something called the “Planet Tan Ice Girls,” a group of 16 young women with names such as Meagan, Kristin, Angie, Meggie and Kaylynn who skate out in tight pants and halter tops with lots of midriff showing to clear off the ice during TV timeouts (Notice how none of the NHL teams ever uses the overweight Zamboni driver with the ball cap and the mullet to do that particular task?).

1) What do their names have to do with anything?

2) I guess they've never been to a Leafs game, not only are there no cheerleaders, but it is actually guys in ball caps and mullets who come out and clean the ice during timeouts.

Terrible article.

While the Capitals also don't objectify women to clean the ice (using local youth players), I don't think that was the main point of the article. You don't think it seems hypocritical of an organization to condemn Avery's words when they willingly market female sexuality? Just look at the Carolina Hurricanes' so-called cheerleaders, it is disgraceful and not needed in hockey.

Red Wings have kids do it, no Ice Girls there.

Saw some of them for the first time at a Flyers game, I don't see the big deal about them. I don't see why they need to be there, but they serve other purposes as community ambassadors to the game, going to different events and whatnot.

I couldn't help but laugh at one of them who looked like she'd never been on skates, horrible stride and barely enough power to push the shovel.

But anyway, there is a stark difference between Ice Girls and Avery's comment. Women in tight clothes is ubiquidous in pro sports and American culture. Professional athletes mouthing off in front of TV cameras to rile up the opposition and provide people another reason to condemn the sport is something that, and I think we can all agree, should NOT be allowed to happen.