Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tml67

One95 OPS vs One95 two piece

I was only cutting the old Eastons with the wood plug about a half inch (I use right at a 50" shaft), so the flex was still pretty much dead on. The 87 from Bauer would be great, but then i'd have to cut the shaft around 4", effectively making it 105+. I guess I should go with the 77 and by the time I chop it, it will be better, but that low of a flex initially just scares me, especially if they're a little whippier than they're rated.

With the old Eastons, they were 3" shorter than they are today, but just as stiff. So if you remove the plug, it's the same as cutting down a 100 flex 3". The 87 flex is one "step" down from those Easton 100's, so unless you want to go really whippy, I'd try that first.

Yeah but I could use those Eastons at nearly full length, whereas these One95 shafts are 54" long and i'll have to take off probably close to a full 4" to equal the length of my current shaft. Doesn't that put the chopped flex of an 87 well over 100 then?

The 67 flex is pretty whippy regardless Jarick haha

Do you play any HockeyFinder.com at all?

Well maybe, but I'm only 5'8" :P The OPS is about perfect flex for me while the two-piece was so whippy I couldn't do anything with it.

I don't, I'm on the mailing list but never made it out to any sessions. I played AHA summer which just ended last week, then I have the AHA fall tourney weekend after next, then winter league starting up in October I believe, plus team practices...very busy!

Yeah I figured on adding about 15 flex by the time I cut it around 4" off a shaft. Going with a 77 initially would pit me right around where I want to be, but I guess starting off that low after using 100s all these years just scares me. Plus the fact that i'm super finicky about all of my sticks. Now i'm just worried about people saying that the shafts feel whippier than the stated flex.

But weren't you cutting the 100's down? Or were they the older Eastons that were short with an end plug? If they're the same length, the 87 should still be whippier than your Easton 100's.

IMO the One95 shafts are cut long

Ended up buying a 77 flex and although it felt whippy as hell and scared me to purchase it, I did so. Cut it down about 4" exactly to the 92 flex mark and it feels great now. Maybe a little more flexible than the 92 it states, but nothing under 85 I wouldn't say. I can't wait to try some shots with this thing. I'm predominantly a wrister and snapper guy, so I think this should do wonders. As far as puck feel goes, this shaft/blade combo is incredible. So balanced.

how much did you have to cut off the standard OPS?

I just bought the shaft version in 77 and cut off 4" (taking it down to the old standard Easton size I have used at 50"), which made the flex approximately 90ish.

Sorry for bumping this thread, but I'm interested in the One95 shaft-blade combo. However, I'm having a problem choosing which size to go with. Here's the story:

I'm 5'7" and about 115-120 lbs. My current sticks are two composite shaft-wood blade combos both cut down to about 54" (I think both are seniors), and a junior OPS that is about 51", both measurements from butt to heel of the blade.

Now, I find my two shafts too stiff to get a good shot off, but I feel very comfortable with their length. They go to about chin level on my skates. My junior OPS is a tad short, but my shot is much better. I've also found that it forces me to bend my knees a lot more, which has helped a bit with my skating. It goes to about chest level on my skates.

So with all of that in mind, should I get an intermediate shaft or a junior shaft? Inline Warehouse says that the intermediate is 49" without the blade and the junior is 45". Just how many inches does the blade add to the entire stick? If I go with the intermediate, I'm worried about having to cut it down and having it too stiff for me to use effectively. With the junior, I would be able to flex it a lot better, but it might be a tad short. If I were to add a plug, would it be too flexy and prone to breaking?

Please note that I am purchasing online because of a gift certificate I have to an online store and will not be going to my LHS to compare lengths and flexes. Actually, I'm not even sure they carry One95 shafts, so it's a moot point.

I've used both, the OPS has better feel. They both shoot very well although I thought that the 2-piece felt stiffer.

Ditto.. I have a One95 shaft in a 77 flex. I got it on a lark and it is plenty stiff for a 77 flex. I use an 87 as well.

The One 95 shafts at full length likely play as rated, but they get very stiff as you cut them down. I used nothing but Synergy one-pieces from the original through the SE, but the One 95 shaft/blade won me over because it's great bang for your buck, so to speak. It plays like a one-piece with a tad higher kickpoint, and the combo doesn't feel like it goes "soft" as the Eastons did for me. I used 100 or 110 flex Eastons, depending on the model, and I went with 87 flex One 95 shafts cut down to about a 100 rating. The higher kickpoint makes the One 95 shaft with 3 or so inches cut off play somewhere between the Easton 100 and 110, I think.

Also, I just broke my first shaft and blade (2 different sticks, same night!) 2 weeks ago after having both for over a year each. I used to go through the Synergies at about one every 3 weeks.

After about 7 times on the ice with the shaft/blade combo, I'm not impressed at all. The OPS was great, but the shaft is lacking on shots. I can't feel it loading at all and it's not too stiff for me because I've had no problems with a 100 flex OPS(shaft is 87).

There's a difference between flexing an OPS and a shaft. I can get as much flex with a 100 flex OPS as I can with a 77 flex standard shaft. They're just inherently stronger than an OPS

There's a difference between flexing an OPS and a shaft. I can get as much flex with a 100 flex OPS as I can with a 77 flex standard shaft. They're just inherently stronger than an OPS

More flex does not mean stronger. I firmly believe a tapered stick should be easier to load for wrist and snap shots than a standard shaft

What I meant to say was, that IMO a lesser flex on a shaft is similar to a higher flex on an OPS due to the inherent strengths of a standard shaft vs an OPS

What I meant to say was, that IMO a lesser flex on a shaft is similar to a higher flex on an OPS due to the inherent strengths of a standard shaft vs an OPS

There are no "inherent strengths" of a standard shaft. As mentioned, it should feel stiffer based on design.

I think think a 85 flex standard shaft is stiffer than an 85 flex OPS or as the Warrior exec put it..More "torsional rigidity"

I have a question for the people that have picked up the purehockey tapered one95. I'm currently used to using uncut 85 flex U+ sticks and S17s cut to the 85 flex line.

Am I going to need to cut down the shaft to get it to that length, thus making me a candidate for the 77 flex, or will I be OK with it at full length with a one95 tapered blade?

I have a question for the people that have picked up the purehockey tapered one95. I'm currently used to using uncut 85 flex U+ sticks and S17s cut to the 85 flex line.

Am I going to need to cut down the shaft to get it to that length, thus making me a candidate for the 77 flex, or will I be OK with it at full length with a one95 tapered blade?

A full length One95 standard shaft is 54". Assuming the tapered shaft is the same in length, a tapered blade will typically add another 4" so the stick will be approx. 58" from heel to top of shaft.

Has anyone used a S19 blade with their one95 shaft? I have the one95 blade and shaft, and I like it. Never tried the OPS though.

There are no "inherent strengths" of a standard shaft. As mentioned, it should feel stiffer based on design.

Agreed. I use an 87 ops, but a 77 shaft for the two piece. Feel awful close on standard shafts...with the One90 and the One95. Tapered is a whole different story. Just haven't found a tapered shaft I like other than the flyweight for a two piece, but love the U+ CL ops. It's the only tapered stick I have ever liked.

This question came up around page 3 but was never answered...

"What is the difference between a One95 shaft and AK27 shaft?"

Well the ak27's are sexier.

lol sorry can't help ya there.

This question came up around page 3 but was never answered...

"What is the difference between a One95 shaft and AK27 shaft?"

Ak is 51 in and comes in grip or clear, also an xl version

one95 is 54in and has tactile on the corners

both get pretty good reviews. I like my ak and plan on trying a one95 soon

Other than that I don't know what else you are looking for that isn't someone's personal opinion

Thanks! A few more specifit questions as you seem to know a bit about this:

(1) I currently use One95s uncut in lenght with no plug. Would the AK need a a plug?

(2) Is this kickpoint/flex profile of the AK low? I dislike the mid flex of the One95. I feel like the old One90s had a low kick.

edit: I would use a One95 P88 blade.