Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Chadd

The Venting Spot

I really feel like I've let my life get away from me. If I had a time machine, I'd have fled the country the day I graduated college, fled to Spain and changed my name to something generic and Spanish sounding like Pablo Sanchez. Then I'd be a matador or an artist who paints Matadors and go the route of Hemingway with any luck. Yeah, you could say I'm a little depressed but objectively, my situation isn't much to be optimistic about. At times like this, the only thing that really consoles me is the thought that if Churchill had given up, we'd all be speaking German now.

Sounds like a quote from "Good Will Hunting"... :cool:

Thanks man. The outcome isn't looking really great, she's basically going to lose the ability to eat, exercise, etc, for the foreseeable future (or indefinitely). I also don't know if I can play hockey anymore because I don't have the time. Oh, my career is in the shitter and student loans are literally going to break me. I really feel like I've let my life get away from me. If I had a time machine, I'd have fled the country the day I graduated college, fled to Spain and changed my name to something generic and Spanish sounding like Pablo Sanchez. Then I'd be a matador or an artist who paints Matadors and go the route of Hemingway with any luck. Yeah, you could say I'm a little depressed but objectively, my situation isn't much to be optimistic about. At times like this, the only thing that really consoles me is the thought that if Churchill had given up, we'd all be speaking German now.

Sorry to read all this. Is there any flexibility in the job to take some leave time so you can focus on your wife and come back? And/or can you defer the student loans due to the current circumstances? (I always had the impression student loans were more forgiving on that kind of stuff - though I don't actually know)

Hemingway blew his brains out, let's not go down that road!

You can always take a break from hockey too, it'll be there when things are more in order in your life.

Keep your chin up man! I don't know you from adam, but I hope things turn around for soon. If you're really feeling depressed, see what is available for therapy, support groups or something. Best of luck.

Detroit Red Wing announcers. Both of 'em. The play by play guy is annoying as hell, and the color guy I'm pretty sure is a moron.

Were you watching a home or away game? Mickey Redmond does Color at home but no longer travels so Larry Murphy does it on the road and hes awful.

Were you watching a home or away game? Mickey Redmond does Color at home but no longer travels so Larry Murphy does it on the road and hes awful.

I'll take Murph over Mickey any day of the week.

Home. He can't be any worse than Mickey.

Thanks for the kind words, guys. The wife's doing a bit better so that helps me a lot but I've gotta figure out a plan for myself in the bigger scheme of things.

When people do not return phone calls, txt messages, or emails. I'd like them back right away, but I am not naive. But, typing out a simple, "yes," or, "no," on your phone or computer keyboard, or calling me back within 24 hours is not unreasonable.

Edited by JoeyJ0506

When people do not return phone calls, txt messages, or emails.  I'd like them back right away, but I am not naive.  But, typing out a simple, "yes," or, "no," on your phone or computer keyboard, or calling me back within 24 hours is not unreasonable.

This leads perfectly to a nice vent for me... So a while back, I did someone a big favor by giving them my professional opinion for a rate of $5 an hour, yeah, no shit. I saved this person from literally dumping off a TON of money, talking 6 figures here. Now this person's business venture apparently fell apart because they couldn't do it alternatively and they don't ever talk to me anymore or are as frank and discourteous as possible. This was a mere friend, not a very close one, but when I do a serious favor for someone, I don't expect to get treated like shit afterward for that or possibly some other imaginary reason. 

just came back from a pretty long suspension and was pretty excited to finally play again, what do you know second shift of the game i get tossed on a pretty chincey call, pretty damn rattled at the moment

People who don't have the decency to put down the damn phone when they're at the register being helped by me. My biggest pet peeve, ever.

Help the next person in line or if they're the only customer, go take a break.

I've always wanted to break out my own phone and start texting someone. Instead, I just purposely try to mess up their conversation.

Thanks for the kind words, guys. The wife's doing a bit better so that helps me a lot but I've gotta figure out a plan for myself in the bigger scheme of things.

Hey... glad to hear that you got a little bit of good news. Hope it keeps coming!

While I was recovering from my concussion the insurance company set up a number of appointments for me and it turns out they decided not to pay a couple of them. Now I have collection agencies calling and the case worker won't answer her phone or call me back. Really starting to get pissed about this.

My coach has moved me to defense I'm sure he has a good reason because he obviousley knows alot more than me but I just don't get it. He tried this at the begginging of the season then changed his mind after one game. Im the team's leading scorer so it's not as if I'm not producing, plus I'm hard on myself as is but now I don't really know what I'm doing and almost everything is wrong it's almost like re-learning hockey at times which is extrememly frustrating. O well I just hope that I adjust or get moved back.

My coach has moved me to defense I'm sure he has a good reason because he obviousley knows alot more than me but I just don't get it. He tried this at the begginging of the season then changed his mind after one game. Im the team's leading scorer so it's not as if I'm not producing, plus I'm hard on myself as is but now I don't really know what I'm doing and almost everything is wrong it's almost like re-learning hockey at times which is extrememly frustrating. O well I just hope that I adjust or get moved back.

A good defenseman can control the game more than a good forward. When I was coaching I moved some of our better players to defense, it helped the team.

Well, like Chadd said defenseman can control the flow of the play and initially the game. IMO,I think that just being calm and being able to make smart plays under pressure is the biggest thing you'll need to learn, I think that's the biggest difference between good defense and great defense. And just talk it over with your linemates. I'm always going end to end, or sinking down to the hash for a shot, being D doesn't mean you won't produce.

after only playing 8 of our teams 21 games so far this season due to suspension and trying out for jr a i ended up getting a concussion this weekend. Doesnt seem to be a major one but a concussion is still serious and looks like i might be out for another week or 2 if all goes well with getting healthy

Dropped a skate on my left thumb and severed the extensor tendon. Had surgery last Tuesday, will be casted for 6 weeks total. Good times.....

Edited by Monty22

Dropped a skate on my left thumb and severed the extensor tendon. Had surgery last Tuesday, will be casted for 6 weeks total. Good times.....

That sucks, sorry to hear that. I was on the bench wiping the snow of the bottom of my blade and a guy came over the bench and flopped on my thigh. I still have a scar across three fingers from that.

Damn, sorry to hear it bro. On the plus side, you get to join the Dan Boyle club :laugh: My vent is about being just under 180 lbs and not being able to find a skate stiff enough for more than a few months. I turn them all into bloody jello in about a year :facepalm: