Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Chadd

The Venting Spot

Story of my life man. Hence the venting post.

As the risk of sounding like an un-approving father at the christmas dinner table... what do you do with a psychology degree? Is there generally a direct path to a job, or do you need to specialize in something first? I can't imagine you'd be able to go straight from college to having your own practice or something, right?

"u", "ur", etc. in posts and even post titles. Nominative case personal pronouns as objects of predicates or prepositions. Inability to conjugate past and present perfect tenses. Writing "should of" for "should've". The list goes on, even though this stuff is taught over and over, for so many years in school. Most often I hear that from the sportscasters on TV, who seem to consistently have these problems, and sometimes I just get fed up. Oh, yeah, TV folks also seem to think they can use "with" as a predicate.

Edited by wrangler
  • Like 3

BA in Psychology with a minor in Business Administration

Where did you go to school and what are you interested in? Many top companies these days simply try to hire smart people into their training programs, regardless of what their undergrad major was. For instance, the investment banks and big management consultants will hire from just about any major if they think you're smart and will fit (I personally know more than a few history, liberal arts, and other majors who went this route). Google, Facebook, Twitter, et al are said to do the same.

Edited by shooter27

People need to consider what they would like to do when they get out of college as much as, if not more than, what they would like to learn while in college when selecting a major.

• Like 2

Where did you go to school and what are you interested in? Many top companies these days simply try to hire smart people into their training programs, regardless of what their undergrad major was. For instance, the investment banks and big management consultants will hire from just about any major if they think you're smart and will fit (I personally know more than a few history, liberal arts, and other majors who went this route). Google, Facebook, Twitter, et al are said to do the same.

That's what I want to really go into (Consulting, Finance). I just don't know where to look. Do you have any information? it just seems so difficult even getting an interview as a non-finance major.

Chippa,

Your response comes across as kind of ignorant, no? Things change as one progresses through college. In a perfect world, yes, everyone would know what they want to do coming out of HS. I went into college as a nursing major. 3 years in, I figured out it wasn't for me. What would you like me to say? I'm sorry that what I liked in HS wasn't what I ended up liking as I got older?

People need to consider what they would like to do when they get out of college as much as, if not more than, what they would like to learn while in college when selecting a major.

Edited by kovalchuk71

Plenty of people change majors and plenty of others enter college witb an undeclared major and knock off mostly base requirement courses until they do pick something. You don't have to pick your career on day one but when you do pick you should make sure that there are plenty of options for what you do pick when you get out.

Edited by chippa13

Finish that last year of nursing school. Nurses can more than pay the bills in most areas, plus you'll have plenty of time to explore a subsequent alternate career or hobbies at your leisure.

Even another year of student loans can be paid off in only a year or two on an RN salary!

That's what I want to really go into (Consulting, Finance). I just don't know where to look. Do you have any information? it just seems so difficult even getting an interview as a non-finance major.

Well, the answer depends on both what, in particular, you want to do (finance has a variety of disciplines) and where you go to school. As narrow-minded as it may seem, a large portion of the finance world is quite snobbish when it comes to the name on the diploma. Also, if you're looking at investment banking it's kind of late in the game for the big banks, as most will hold their final round interviews for next years recruits shortly, or have already held them. If you want to talk more specifically, feel free to pm me.

From my limited experience in the real world experience, you are better off majoring in Accounting than Finance. Your employment opportunities are greater with the former than the latter. I majored in Accounting (minor in MIS) and I know that I still could have worked in the financial sector. I work as an accountant now and probably wouldn't have my job right now if I had majored in Finance. I'm glad I listened to my Dad back in high school. I had always wanted to work in the financial side of sports and was ready to major in Sports Mgmt. He told me that I run the risk of pigeon-holing myself with that major and should look to purse an Accounting degree. With the degree, I could still find my way into sports if I really wanted to or look otherwise. This was back in 2006 during my senior year. This is also the year that the economy is now what we have come to know. As for consulting, there really isn't a degree for that line of work. It all depends what industry(ies) you want to specialize in. With all that said, I would consider a Master in Accountancy. This type of program is made people who want be CPA and either don't have enough credits or didn't have an BS in Accounting. Just something to consider. It's amazing what you learn OUTSIDE of college ha.

It's amazing what you learn OUTSIDE of college ha.

Everything I do for a living now was learned outside of college. I used to come home from school, throw my textbooks on the table, and go grab my CCNA book and read that instead. If I hadn't already been in my final (second) year, I'd have just quit school completely. I'm still paying off that colossal waste of money.

Difficult situation with hockey parents continues, unabated. :sad:

That sucks. :do not like:

I'm grateful to have a lot of good parents and good kids on my daughters' teams. I hope our coaches feel the same way!!

Got home from a squirt tournament, headed to adult drop-in, and the furnace blower fan wheel blew up about 1am while I was asleep. :angry:

I was exhausted and didn't even hear it, but fortunately my wife did and shut the furnace off. :laugh:

3-4 days of running the wood stove non-stop until the part comes in. Fortunately I can fix it myself.

• Like 1

That sucks. :do not like:

I'm grateful to have a lot of good parents and good kids on my daughters' teams. I hope our coaches feel the same way!!

This is my third year coaching, so I'm still quite new to the whole business, but this is the most difficult situation I've been faced with yet. The first year, there was just one guy who needed a reminder to back off and let the coaches do our jobs for the hour. Last year, I already knew a lot of the parents, and it was a great group of folks. As far as the kids, across the board they're good kids, a couple can be frustrating, but I'm sure I could be a pretty frustrating kid myself, so I do the best I can. I work with the learn-to-play kids, so between the littler ones and the bigger ones, I've got about sixty kids to remember. I'm lucky they all have their names on their helmets...

What I hate most about this parent situation (inappropriate behavior at the rink) is that I'm afraid the kid - who's a good kid, enthusiastic and clearly loves to be on the ice - is going to get caught in the middle and suffer indirectly because of the whole mess. :sad:

Everything I do for a living now was learned outside of college. I used to come home from school, throw my textbooks on the table, and go grab my CCNA book and read that instead. If I hadn't already been in my final (second) year, I'd have just quit school completely. I'm still paying off that colossal waste of money.

PMed you Optimus

It's sad but true. College fails to 'keep it real' with those enrolled. It's one big and expensive bubble ha.

Difficult situation with hockey parents continues, unabated. :sad:

Now you are ready to become an official. It's amazes me how some coaches and parents forget the fact they are suppose to show leadership for the kids. This will always be a problem because there is no accountability.

It's sad but true. College fails to 'keep it real' with those enrolled. It's one big and expensive bubble ha.

College is extremely important for many professions. Certainly any that require an advanced degree (doctor, lawyer, engineer, etc) but for the IT world it is generally worthless. You'd be WAY better off putting your money into, say, CCNA books and classes (in the case of networking).

IT people are MUCH better off having a degree in general business administration than in actual IT, since that's hugely applicable to the real world once you get into it. For IT, there is nothing college can teach you that you can't teach yourself with the internet and some books, unless you're the kind of person who NEEDS personal guidance from a professor (in which case, I don't see you as the type who will do well in IT anyway).

That's just my opinion based on my experience, though. Take it with a grain of salt.

I don't recall in my (almost) 38 years it being cold like this in Southern Ontario! Actual temperature of -19 (celsius) with a wind chill expected to hit -38 overnight.

I don't recall in my (almost) 38 years it being cold like this in Southern Ontario! Actual temperature of -19 (celsius) with a wind chill expected to hit -38 overnight.

When JR and I were at the Hockey Show in Toronto something like 8 years ago, the wind chill was -40. Fun fact, it doesn't matter if it's F or C at that point, same temp.

• Like 1

Now you are ready to become an official. It's amazes me how some coaches and parents forget the fact they are suppose to show leadership for the kids. This will always be a problem because there is no accountability.

It's a bit of a sticky situation in terms of who has authority to do what. The program coordinator is only there for the first set of kids, and since I'm there for both sessions (and have no kids of my own), I wind up being sort of default-responsible during the second hour. But I still have to go to the coordinator for "what's the protocol on handling [x]". It's not like I don't have experience dealing with the rowdy and/or intoxicated in other, non-hockey situations, it's a frustrating question of 'what am I allowed to do and who do I rely on for backup'. It's a potential safety thing. We're in a holding pattern over it at the moment, that is, I am waiting for the coordinator to get back to me about what the association president says about the situation. :facepalm:

When JR and I were at the Hockey Show in Toronto something like 8 years ago, the wind chill was -40. Fun fact, it doesn't matter if it's F or C at that point, same temp.

The tonneau cover on my truck is frozen SOLID! I'm supposed to play hockey tomorrow...looks like the gear is riding up front with me!

Luckily I have a few more days till I start class again. First time in 20 something years. Although doing it online from the shop so shouldn't be to hard. And wasn't that expensive. Luckily the shop is heated well for this -30 plus weather. Better then out west at -50 in Winterpeg!

The tonneau cover on my truck is frozen SOLID! I'm supposed to play hockey tomorrow...looks like the gear is riding up front with me!

A friend of mine used to leave his gear in the back of his truck. One game, he pulled out his hockey jock and it was frozen solid, so he decided to thaw it out with the electric hand dryer in the men's room. I don't think I'll ever forget that smell.

• Like 1

College is a big bubble for the academics who run the college.

Why should they burst their own bubble by keeping it real for the people who subsidize their bread line?