Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Chadd

The Venting Spot

Saw my fourth doctor for the concussion stuff today. Strangely enough, I have to wait for him to tell the insurance company what he thinks I should do and they will tell me. Since this is my third serious one, I am a little concerned.

I echo what MThockeydad says. Been there, done that, stayed away from the game I love because of them.

You're in my thoughts, Chadd.

Thanks guys, after six+ months, I'm pretty frustrated with the whole process. At my current rate of progress, I'm probably still a couple months away from being right.

Two year anniversary of my grandmother passing away, and my parents decide today is a good day to put our 19-year old cat down. I'm only 24...so he's been around really for as long as I've been able to form my own thoughts and emotions.

Best pet I've ever owned and will ever own...

10473182_10202276742303214_5117431624939

I understand how you feel. My wife had our Aussie (who was really sick) put down when I was in Vegas for the hockey show a couple years ago. The real kicker was that it was on my birthday.

Started reffing again this weekend. Reffed 16 games as a Volunteer and played 10 games as well. I feel like I got shot in the thigh and my feet are still killing me. That wasn't why I felt the need to post this though.

Parents. They are incredible. Now I remember why I hated reffing youth hockey. This was a CHARITY tournament for THE TROOPS. I have never heard so much b**tching about the refereeing. At one point one parent in the stands pointed to a kid on the rink and told him to come fight him. Really?!?! Nevermind the fact that 90% of the refs (there were only 8 or so) VOLUNTEERED their time. Granted some people/players came up and thanked us for volunteering, but they were few and far between.

Haha you always think as an official that you've seen it all. It takes a certain mentality to deal with the nonsense parents provide at sporting events. I've cut back, and will continue to, the amount of games I work at the youth level. The paycheck isn't worth the nonsense ha. I consider myself I pretty laid back dude but every once in a while, those stereotypical parents get me going. Oh what fun it is...

• Like 1

Haha you always think as an official that you've seen it all. It takes a certain mentality to deal with the nonsense parents provide at sporting events. I've cut back, and will continue to, the amount of games I work at the youth level. The paycheck isn't worth the nonsense ha. I consider myself I pretty laid back dude but every once in a while, those stereotypical parents get me going. Oh what fun it is...

This is why I prefer to ref the 6u/8u/10u/18u and Bronze/Silver Adult games. I try to avoid 12u/14u/16u/Adult Gold games at all costs. I call that the "danger zone"

Edited by kovalchuk71

Stay strong my friend. Officiating has taught me patience and sober-mindedness (I don't know if that's even punctually sound ha). It also has taught me to know my limits. There are some officials who refuse to address that issue. Nice to see you know what you can handle. It helps everyone when people know what they can and can not do.

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words, guys. It's been a tough 24 hours, but I know we did the right thing. Went and saw 22 Jump Street last night with the friends so it was nice to have some laughs for the night. But when I got home and he wasn't there it hit me again, and today was pretty rough. Our neighbors stopped by today with a card for us, and a vase with a bunch of marbles in it. Clever, and awesome gesture from them which made me smile. Whenever he purred, it always made a sound like when you have a bunch of marbles in your hand, which is where the name comes from.

Still gonna take some time to get over, but, we know we made the right decision.

• Like 1

First world problem, but I HATE the new HydraMax liner in the APX2 skates. Can we just go back to clarino please? This stuff is brutal and does not grip your foot at all.

Having a REALLY hard time completing the workouts my trainer has given me, which at this point just consist of intervals on a treadmill:

1. 2 min warmup @ 2.5mph

2. 3 min jog @ 5mph

3. 1 min walk @ 3.5 mph @ 6.0* incline

4. Repeat #2 and #3 seven times

5. 2 min cooldown @ 2.5mph

All that probably sounds like cake to you guys, but to a fatass like me I'm having a lot of trouble getting through it. The 3 min jog is the hardest part. It's embarrassing not being able to do this... :(

Having a REALLY hard time completing the workouts my trainer has given me, which at this point just consist of intervals on a treadmill:

1. 2 min warmup @ 2.5mph

2. 3 min jog @ 5mph

3. 1 min walk @ 3.5 mph @ 6.0* incline

4. Repeat #2 and #3 seven times

5. 2 min cooldown @ 2.5mph

All that probably sounds like cake to you guys, but to a fatass like me I'm having a lot of trouble getting through it. The 3 min jog is the hardest part. It's embarrassing not being able to do this... :(

Baby steps man, baby steps. Good on you for making the effort to get into shape!

"Rome wasn't built in a day" Seems appropriate here.

You didn't get your "beautiful physique" overnight. Don't expect it to leave overnight either. That's why many give up on getting fit...they don't see the results in the timeframe that THEY expect.

Keep at it and don't give up!

Thanks man, I know this is a long term thing but I still feel pretty crappy when the trainer basically says "we'll start you out with something pretty easy" and you can't do it. I know I will eventually look at this workout and laugh, but for now I'm a bit embarrassed having to email him saying I failed.

I know it will get easier though :) Thanks for the encouragement!

That happens more than you know! Imagine being a professional athlete and doing rehab after surgery... All they want to do is get back onto the ice, field or court ASAP.

That's kind of my motivation too actually. I was literally kicked off my team when they moved up a division because I'm too out of shape to keep up. I want to get back on that team so badly.

To be honest, I think your trainer is doing you a disservice with that workout. Jumping into jogging those 3 minute intervals isn't easy for someone not accustomed to jogging. I was in decent shape when I did my cardiac rehab and even then it took me a while before I was jogging at 3 minute clips. When I started working jogging into my routine I was walking for 4 minutes and jogging for 1 the first outing. Then it was walking for 3.5 minutes and jogging 1.5 minutes and so on until I was finally jogging decent times and distances without having to take walking breaks.

I would also recommend that you extend your warmup and cooldown. My warmup before jogging is 5 minutes. I start with a minute walking at 3.5 mph and add .4 mph every minute after for those 5 minutes. Then I am more ready for working up to the quicker jogging intervals that I'll be doing before ending with a 5 minute cooldown where the first minute is 4.5 mph slow jog and then subtracting .5 mph for each minute after until the 5 minutes are up.

Obviously, you wouldn't be working with those speeds right away but the theory is the same.

• Like 1

To be honest, I think your trainer is doing you a disservice with that workout. Jumping into jogging those 3 minute intervals isn't easy for someone not accustomed to jogging. I was in decent shape when I did my cardiac rehab and even then it took me a while before I was jogging at 3 minute clips. When I started working jogging into my routine I was walking for 4 minutes and jogging for 1 the first outing. Then it was walking for 3.5 minutes and jogging 1.5 minutes and so on until I was finally jogging decent times and distances without having to take walking breaks.

I would also recommend that you extend your warmup and cooldown. My warmup before jogging is 5 minutes. I start with a minute walking at 3.5 mph and add .4 mph every minute after for those 5 minutes. Then I am more ready for working up to the quicker jogging intervals that I'll be doing before ending with a 5 minute cooldown where the first minute is 4.5 mph slow jog and then subtracting .5 mph for each minute after until the 5 minutes are up.

Obviously, you wouldn't be working with those speeds right away but the theory is the same.

He just replied back to my email saying he assumed I'd be able to handle that workout because I play hockey already. He adjusted it:

3min walk w/ incline between 8-12 followed by 1min jog @ 4.5-5mph, 0-2 incline.

That, I'm pretty sure I can do.

I don't fault him, he had to start somewhere.

Edited by OptimusReim