Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Chadd

The Venting Spot

Loosening up in a blowout is usually giving a little leniency to the losing team on the odd hook or the like. Letting a high stick go isn't loosening up, it is inviting a shitshow.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, kmfdm86 said:

Today I'm grateful that I play hockey with face protection. 

Second inline game of the season (won our first game 2-0). We're facing a new team to the league, it's their first season there.

We're destroying them 8-1 with about 7 minutes to go in the third. Puck lands at the half boards and I'm heading towards it at about a 45 degree angle. Guy on the other team is heading for it at about the same angle but going the other way. I just barely get there first and this dude takes a giant golf swing at the puck and cracks me straight up the centerline of my cage with the shaft of his stick. He doesn't apologize and just moves on. Ref is standing five feet away. The whole team saw him watch it happen and the ref just shrugs at me. It's not like he brushed me with it or anything. It was loud. Normally I don't get worked up over missed calls but if I wasn't wearing anything I'd have a broken nose and missing teeth.

On my last face off I was against him and just kind of wrapped his stick up and shoved him out. Felt good. Haha. Final score was 8-2, but still. 

Did you get any explanation for this?  I'd suspect he was applying the NHL "follow through" rule incorrectly.

I'm constantly amazed at how many refs either don't know the rules or apply them incorrectly.  And that's not counting those who are lazy, ignorant, incompetent, or just plain a-holes.  It seems like every other game I see a ref who is in position and sees the play clearly, and then blows the call.  In your case, applies a rule that doesn't exist in adult hockey.  In USAHockey, whats the penalty for hitting someone in the face and causing an injury?  No, it isn't a double minor like in the NHL, it's a 5 and a game. 

No, the refs hand out extra penalties if you try to ask them why a call was or wasn't made. They've even ejected our captain for it, telling him he can only talk to them after the game.

Also, it wasn't even his follow through. He swung the stick with enough force that it bounced straight off my stick and went flying into my face.

Edited by kmfdm86

Howdy,

WTF.

NHL.TV isn't streaming the all star skills competition or game.

At least NBC is apparently broadcasting the game, but still... WTF?

Mark

Guys who refuse to shake your hand post-game because of ridiculous stuff that happened during the game. 

Context: guy from the other team went skating backwards, ran into me, goes flying, then crying to the ref that I cross-checked him. Incidental contact isn't a penalty last time I checked.. I should probably mention this guy is a) a ringer from a league or two up (my team's in D league), and b) is a known whiner and goon. After he got a goal waved off for a kicking motion, he was out for blood. Took hard, deliberate slashes at my stick the rest of the game, then puts me on my ass in front of the net and gets whistled. Guess what he did? Cried to the ref that should go to the box for interference. On the way to the box, he proceeds to chirp me that "I need to learn to fucking play hockey.." That's why I'm in D league, to learn proper ways to play the game again after taking time off; sorry that you have to slum around here because you wanna goon it up, but whatever helps you sleep at night and makes you think your dick's bigger.

But the crown of this was going through the handshake line. Pulled his hand up as I went by him.

That's what made me angry here.  I cannot stand poor sportsmanship. I'm sure it's been said many times on this website before by a lot of people, but seriously. If the final buzzer sounds, you let it go, line up, and no matter how much you wanna kill the other guy, you grow a pair, man up, and shake their hand. Go have a beer in the locker room, then go home. We all do this for fun, it's not the end of the world. Especially since some of us have to get up and go to work the next day. 

TL;DR: got ran by a ringer all game, and I was the asshole, apparently. Whatever, at least I scored two goals.

• Like 1

The last time somebody decided to not shake my hand, they ended up on their ass. I don't feel great about doing it, but I still think it was deserved. 

Howdy,

43 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

The last time somebody decided to not shake my hand, they ended up on their ass. I don't feel great about doing it, but I still think it was deserved. 

That's really no better than the other guy that can't let it go.

Some people are assholes.  Ignore them.

Mark

(and yeah, sometimes I break my own rule too.  :-)

• Like 1

It does happen & I have done it a time or 2. On the rare occasion I did it the games get way out of hand with cheap shots and if I went to shake hands it would of been team brawl in beer league. 

Sometime it's better to just walk off, take a shower & start drinking! Full disclosure, usually next time we played the team, the games didn't get out of control & everybody shook hands. 

Id rather skip hand shake then get kicked out of league or rink for fighting, which is what the rink nazis will & have done where I play.

Lost the championship game tonight.  I played well and the team played well. The bounces just didn't go our way at all.  

On 1/28/2017 at 3:52 PM, marka said:

Some people are assholes.  Ignore them.

Best advice my teammates gave me there. 

3 hours ago, Dman692420 said:

Sometime it's better to just walk off, take a shower & start drinking! Full disclosure, usually next time we played the team, the games didn't get out of control & everybody shook hands. 

Id rather skip hand shake then get kicked out of league or rink for fighting, which is what the rink nazis will & have done where I play.

Also good advice, which I did immediately after the game. Thankfully, we won't have to see them again but in the playoffs, and maybe not even then. Just a matter of how the chips fall and how we seed out. I guess in hindsight it's best to let it go, rather than take a suspension over something stupid, like a fight. That being said, I wish the league would reconsider player eligibility, and place everyone in their appropriate divisions. I get you can't always prevent a ringer from slipping through, but when you've got the good C league and B league players gooning it up in D... Something's definitely wrong there. Less about having fun and more about that $$$.

The Albany Devils (AHL) are most likely packing their bags for Binghamton.  Its a huge bummer for the hockey fans.  I live about 15 minute walk from where they play so my wife and I as well as bunch of people would always go and heckle the other goalie.  It was always something fun to do.  I end up going to around 20 games a season.  There is talk about them bringing in another professional team, but I don't think its going to be hockey.

5 minutes ago, chippa13 said:

That's what you get for stealing our Lowell Devils in 2010. :dry:

Believe me I would have much rather kept the River Rats.  Such a better name.  Who doesn't love a dirty rat that came out of the Hudson?

• Like 3

Politics in the locker room :facepalm:

I can't stand listening to that sh*t, before or after the game. Hockey is the 1-2 hours a week where I can let go of all the sh!t on my mind and focus solely on nothing but how can we beat our opponent. The last thing I want to hear is a bunch of people running their mouths about politics - either side. It's bad enough that I live in the liberal epicenter of the Midwest, but for fu*k sake, this is hockey, not some GD coffee shop on State Street with a bunch of patchouli oil wearing hippies and arrogant college kids. Rant over.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2017 at 3:11 AM, psulion22 said:

Did you get any explanation for this?  I'd suspect he was applying the NHL "follow through" rule incorrectly.

I'm constantly amazed at how many refs either don't know the rules or apply them incorrectly.  And that's not counting those who are lazy, ignorant, incompetent, or just plain a-holes.  It seems like every other game I see a ref who is in position and sees the play clearly, and then blows the call.  In your case, applies a rule that doesn't exist in adult hockey.  In USAHockey, whats the penalty for hitting someone in the face and causing an injury?  No, it isn't a double minor like in the NHL, it's a 5 and a game. 

Got a call like that the other night, inconsistency in the refereeing. I was on the blue line against the boards to prevent a wraparound. Puck did in fact get wrapped around although weakly. I took maybe one step towards the puck and touched it first. This other guy was coming around from the bottom of the faceoff circle and was really pumping to get to the puck. I kept it in the zone, and saw him coming... just lowered myself bracing for the impact. This guy ends up on his ass, and I get called for the penalty for body checking. I told the ref that it was a BS call, and she said "it was a clean hit, but in this league we have to give a penalty for a body check". I told her that the guy ran into me, and that he was the one that was going at speed. I mean how much speed can i generate from one push. 

Still got the 2 min... the coach on our bench went nuts.

1 hour ago, tpedersen3118 said:

I can't stand listening to that sh*t, before or after the game. Hockey is the 1-2 hours a week where I can let go of all the sh!t on my mind and focus solely on nothing but how can we beat our opponent. The last thing I want to hear is a bunch of people running their mouths about politics - either side. It's bad enough that I live in the liberal epicenter of the Midwest, but for fu*k sake, this is hockey, not some GD coffee shop on State Street with a bunch of patchouli oil wearing hippies and arrogant college kids. Rant over.

I'm at that age where I don't have to deal with it at the rink, but school is way different.

1 hour ago, tpedersen3118 said:

And now you've brought it here. 

15 minutes ago, fatwabbit said:

Got a call like that the other night, inconsistency in the refereeing. I was on the blue line against the boards to prevent a wraparound. Puck did in fact get wrapped around although weakly. I took maybe one step towards the puck and touched it first. This other guy was coming around from the bottom of the faceoff circle and was really pumping to get to the puck. I kept it in the zone, and saw him coming... just lowered myself bracing for the impact. This guy ends up on his ass, and I get called for the penalty for body checking. I told the ref that it was a BS call, and she said "it was a clean hit, but in this league we have to give a penalty for a body check". I told her that the guy ran into me, and that he was the one that was going at speed. I mean how much speed can i generate from one push. 

Still got the 2 min... the coach on our bench went nuts.

Once you played the puck back into the zone there was no reason to hold that space. You got the penalty for not trying to avoid the contact. It was a de facto check.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

And now you've brought it here. 

Damn it. I thought I was venting about it, not starting a political debate. Either way, someone just delete my damn post. I'm going to go have a beer. 🍻

Thanks for calling me out on that! 👍🏼

Edited by tpedersen3118

20 hours ago, jlt73 said:

Lost the championship game tonight.  I played well and the team played well. The bounces just didn't go our way at all.  

Same, lost a championship game last night. 

My gripe, I do not ever expect a goalie to win a game, but I do expect them not to lose the game... Well, we would have been better off with a five gallon bucket between the pipes. 

Welcome to my every Thursday. The real downside is that one of our players has another/better goalie who wants to play with us but the league said no. Our current goalie thinks he is too good for the next level under us and the league won't let us dump him, even though goalies don't pay.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, chippa13 said:

Welcome to my every Thursday. The real downside is that one of our players has another/better goalie who wants to play with us but the league said no. Our current goalie thinks he is too good for the next level under us and the league won't let us dump him, even though goalies don't pay.

We were, either, one or two in goals scored throughout the regular season and still finished at .500... we either won, or lost, our games by scores of 8-7, 10-9, etc. we always had to put up high goal counts to have a chance to win. Well, our normal guy was sick and/or out of town for the first three games of the playoffs and we were able to knock out all of the top-seeded teams we played. Our replacement was not a brick wall by any means, but he made the routine saves. Of course, come championship game time, our normal guy says that he is ready to play. You could tell everyone was deflated when they saw him in the locker room pre-game. We went down 1-0 early on a bad goal (weak wrister from the blue line by a defenseman just trying to get a change). We worked our asses off to tie the game before the end of the first. Off the ensuing faceoff, they scored on a short-side, back-hand dribbler from below the goal line... may as well have called the game after that. It was SO demoralizing. Any time we would start to mount a comeback, a bad goal was sure to kill it. Like I said, you don't have to win the game, just don't lose it.

Edited by JoeyJ0506
grammar