Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

Nike/Bauer Sticks being recalled

So, I'm guessing they use different paints for junior and senior? It's very rare that cutting costs doesn't come back and bite you in the ass.

It said in the article that the lead limit laws are only in place for children's items.

My bad. Seems to be commonplace that my questions are usually answered in the articles I don't fully read. :facepalm:

On a side, what is the other process of paint application that ccm uses to keep the weights down on their sticks? Wouldn't this be cheaper as it uses less paint anyway?

True,

But we are like fish and want the shiny and bright one on the shelf.

My son has 2 JR One 90 sticks and this will be a pain as when phoned Bauer, I have to wait for a prepaid package to send the sticks to Bauer and then wait for a replacement to show up. He is playing hockey until the end of June and either I wait to send the sticks in or buy yet another jr stick and wait for the replacements.

I don’t feel real good about either option.

The real danger is kids licking or eating the paint, which adults don't tend to do. But it does mention a chance of transferring lead through the skin of sweaty hands. That sounds scary.

I have a bunch of senior Vapor sticks in the house. I'm guessing that there is a high chance that it's the same paint. Since I have 2 kids under age 3, I'll be sure to keep the sticks away from them. Anyone else with kids would be wise to do the same.

I wish there was a senior recall as well.

I'll have to remember not to lick the palms of my gloves.

Playing devil's advocate here, but the question I have now is whether the nice thin porous glove palm could be considered contaminated with lead and potentially transfer lead to the kids sweaty hands every time they put them on? Does this mean replace the gloves and consider them "hazardous waste" due to lead contamination??

Just asking,,,,, :(

I read the story. Interesting.

Couple things...

1. So there are no limits for amount of lead that can be put into the "adult" size sticks?

2. The story mentioned the clear coat that is on the stick. Ok good, BUT from my experience with One90 line, those things chip and flake quite easily. :/

Just had my first customer threaten to "raise hell" if I didn't give her a new stick for free while she waited for Bauer, as if the whole thing was my fault. Awesome. :rolleyes:

I thought the lead was added to the shaft to increase durability. Reebok has speed holes, Bauer has lead encased shafts!

This is definitely troubling. For those dismissing this with comments about lead poisoning and chewing sticks, etc., exposure to lead is concerning because it gets stored in the body. You don't want lead in your body, period.

I bought a one95 OPS a couple weeks ago and I won't be using it until this clears up. I realize the risk is low... but you don't want lead in your body, period.

tried to call bauer 4x today and each time got a recording that say "due to the high call volume we can't take your call right now. please leave your info and one of our reps will be happy to get back to you".

i'm going to try 1st thing in the morning. will share the outcome here.

Soil isn't considered contaminated until it reaches 1,200 ppm. Most soil tests at 50-200 ppm. Your kid is likelier to get lead poisoning playing soccer. that said, let the fear mongering commence.

Soil isn't considered contaminated until it reaches 1,200 ppm. Most soil tests at 50-200 ppm. Your kid is likelier to get lead poisoning playing soccer. that said, let the fear mongering commence.

Did you read the article? The accepted level threshold is 600 ppm -- and the Bauer sticks surpassed that threshold. Thus, you provided enough evidence to refute your own conclusion regarding soccer.

The natural reaction for opponents of regulations is to claim fear-mongering by those taking precautions. While it is not wise to jump to conclusions here, it is wise, especially for parents, to take precautions.

Not quite. You're more likely to get lead-tainted dirt in a scrape playing soccer than ingesting lead paint. Plus, acceptable lead levels in soil are twice what the stick tested. One wonders how we ever managed to grow up unscathed.

Not quite. You're more likely to get lead-tainted dirt in a scrape playing soccer than ingesting lead paint. Plus, acceptable lead levels in soil are twice what the stick tested. One wonders how we ever managed to grow up unscathed.

Read your own post. You said that most soils are between 50 and 200 ppm. You said it; not me. Thus, your conclusion about soccer is a fallacy.

The fact that acceptable levels in soil are twice the stick tested is completely irrelevant to this conversation, and nothing but a distraction.

Read your own post. You said that most soils are between 50 and 200 ppm. You said it; not me. Thus, your conclusion about soccer is a fallacy.

The fact that acceptable levels in soil are twice the stick tested is completely irrelevant to this conversation, and nothing but a distraction.

Not to go off-topic here, but what you're thinking of is a "red herring."

If I am reading this right, it looks like it is only the yellow paint on these recalled sticks that is the danger:

http://cpsr-rspc.hc-sc.gc.ca/PR-RP/recall-....jsp?re_id=1004

Hazard Identified

Health Canada's sampling and evaluation program has revealed that the yellow paint on the Nike Bauer Supreme One50 composite stick JR-52 with UPC 440004249959 contains lead in excess of the allowable limit. Lead is toxic if ingested by young children and can cause adverse health effects.

and http://edmonton.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CT...ub=EdmontonHome

Bauer Hockey Inc. has stopped the sales of 13 brands of junior and youth hockey sticks after testing showed high levels of lead in the yellow paint used on the sticks.

I have Vapor XXXX sticks and there is no yellow on them, so maybe they're safe after all.

Lead paint in a hockey stick is pretty low in the totem pole of things of importance is all I'm trying to say. If anyone's child eats enough paint off their stick to warrant heavy metal poisoning, let's chalk that up to Darwinism. I still remember playing with lawn darts, chemistry sets, and riding my bike and banana board without a helmet when I was a kid and I turned out fine ;).

Lead paint in a hockey stick is pretty low in the totem pole of things of importance is all I'm trying to say. If anyone's child eats enough paint off their stick to warrant heavy metal poisoning, let's chalk that up to Darwinism. I still remember playing with lawn darts, chemistry sets, and riding my bike and banana board without a helmet when I was a kid and I turned out fine ;).

you sure about that drew? :P ;)