Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chippa13

2010-2011 Gear Sightings

Interesting video, tsumie. Doesn't that go against Easton's claims that their S19 helmet can take more impact than any other helmet? Wonder if those testers are affiliated with Bauer or independent...

Interesting video, tsumie. Doesn't that go against Easton's claims that their S19 helmet can take more impact than any other helmet? Wonder if those testers are affiliated with Bauer or independent...

We have a thread somewhere discussing that exact video.

u mean this video?

Keep seeing this new CCM stick. Is this a new CL?

A bit late to the show but I remember someone who had a couple pro stock CL's of his said they were actually Reebok sticks with CCM graphics.

I really wish lidstrom would get with the times and scrap that goofy darth vader visor. For whatever reason that thing just bugs the crap outta me...

I really wish lidstrom would get with the times and scrap that goofy darth vader visor. For whatever reason that thing just bugs the crap outta me...

Get with the times and wear a visor that doesn't even help half the people who wear them, or protect your eyes.

I choose the latter.

Get with the times and wear a visor that doesn't even help half the people who wear them, or protect your eyes.

I choose the latter.

Agreed. Some players wear things for the purpose they serve, not for the fashion.

not if this picture is any indication...

20100902182923_07-Wings-Prac.jpg

Weird. Modano's probably gonna have to get used to this one too. Somewhere, Kariya is stacking on these helmets in various colors, just in case ahah

It was DarkStar50.

But I would've liked to see it in person, not a pic. I didn't even know it was at Summer Jam.

I live in Nova Scotia( home of Sid) the local sports store has 6 or so Crosby pro stocks, I think they are around 119 Can, Very short stick, almost no curve and yes a very strange lie.

Weird. Modano's probably gonna have to get used to this one too. Somewhere, Kariya is stacking on these helmets in various colors, just in case ahah

or he could do the old butch goring and just spray paint his helmets.

If the helmet breaks , the shock will disipate and spread with the broken pieces ( much the same as a race car and thus why a race car is designed to come apart in the case of a roll or crash). If it does'nt break , all the shock goes straight through to the foam AND your head. So, if im lookin solely for protection from a blow like the one in the video ( which im not ) ill get the s19. But there alot of other things to consider when buying a helmet . And those other things have a higher probability of happening , than a blow such as that.

We already went through this, but force = mass x acceleration and pressure = force / area, so if you get hit with the edge of the puck, the surface area is much smaller, therefore the pressure is much higher. That's why a pocket knife cuts while a butter knife does not. And I recall that the puck struck the vent which may have been a weaker area than a flat part of the helmet.

We already went through this, but force = mass x acceleration and pressure = force / area, so if you get hit with the edge of the puck, the surface area is much smaller, therefore the pressure is much higher. That's why a pocket knife cuts while a butter knife does not. And I recall that the puck struck the vent which may have been a weaker area than a flat part of the helmet.

I think you're looking for momentum in place of force.

Force = Mass x Acceleration, and since a puck in flight is decelerating, it would have negative force.

Momentum (Mass x Speed) is exerted on the helmet by the puck.

You're at least theoretically correct with respect to the puck hitting on edge being a tougher impact on the helmet than a puck hitting flat. That's why bullets have a point, so the momentum is focused on the smallest amount of surface area when it impacts its target. In any case, if the helmet does its job, it will disburse the momentum of the impact over as much surface area as possible, so no single spot on the head receives the full momentum of the puck.

I think as a general rule, taking an impact like the ones in the video would merit replacing a helmet...