Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JJStripes

MLX Skates Now Available

They had some toe plug that they include that they say will take up space and provide the half size.... wonder how much the customs will be

Yeah, to me thats not really a viable option on $800 performance skates. Even with the toe plug in there, that means your foot doesn't take up the full boot making it harder to control.

There is sure a lot of negativity here towards a product no one has actually used. A lot of assumptions being made. Might be worth waiting to hear some firsthand reviews before torpedoing their ship.

They had some toe plug that they include that they say will take up space and provide the half size.... wonder how much the customs will be

If that is their solution, any remaining hope I had for them is lost.

There is sure a lot of negativity here towards a product no one has actually used. A lot of assumptions being made. Might be worth waiting to hear some firsthand reviews before torpedoing their ship.

My negativity has nothing to do with the product and everything to do with the company and their practices. Just about everything I have heard, public and otherwise, has been less than positive. One thing I will guarantee is that just about anyone that buys them will claim they are fantastic. Between trying to justify the price and having something "different", the reviews are pretty much a given at this point.

If that is their solution, any remaining hope I had for them is lost.

My negativity has nothing to do with the product and everything to do with the company and their practices. Just about everything I have heard, public and otherwise, has been less than positive. One thing I will guarantee is that just about anyone that buys them will claim they are fantastic. Between trying to justify the price and having something "different", the reviews are pretty much a given at this point.

Is it safe to say then that it is unlikely to ever see a negative review of a high end product....from any manufacturer?

Is it safe to say then that it is unlikely to ever see a negative review of a high end product....from any manufacturer?

You don't see many, even when guys are using sticks they can't flex or skates that are two sizes two big.

Yeah the same way Gretzky supported the Therma-blade and his other success story in Phoenix.

Cheers.

Wayne probably has the longest list of failed products/brands of any "star" endorser.

Yes, many people also buy the "popular" skates and despite the blood and blisters, they will claim they love the skate, regardless of sole separation, liner tears, broken steel, misaligned holders, whatever. That's the self-fulfilling prophecy. Lets just let some people try these skates and see how they like them. If you don't want to believe their reviews, then don't.

Plus I wouldn't say the Thermablade was/is a bad product, it just never took off because the NHL wouldn't allow it.

And I look at these skates as sort of like a concept car, a lot of things will be implemented by other brands (especially adjustable and replaceable parts), but MLX itself won't be successful.

Yeah the same way Gretzky supported the Therma-blade and his other success story in Phoenix.

Cheers.

what do you mean by support? wayne is about personal success. he probably wouldn't have gone anywhere near phoenix had it not been for his $6M salary. he is/was jerry moyes' 2nd biggest creditor. wayne is on another level, he signs his name to shit, throws in a bit of money and rolls the dice. he's diversified and makes more money now than he did while he was playing.

Plus I wouldn't say the Thermablade was/is a bad product, it just never took off because the NHL wouldn't allow it.

And I look at these skates as sort of like a concept car, a lot of things will be implemented by other brands (especially adjustable and replaceable parts), but MLX itself won't be successful.

Umm, was there any real proof that it worked?

Putting the fit/review issue aside for a moment, let's run some numbers. $800 skate - 15% discount = $ 680 per pair X 400 "Early Adopters" = $272,000. 400 pair at $800 = $320,000, The difference is $48K on their market entry launch.

According to the Spam I just got from them they will be sending out at least a couple pairs of tester skates with the "winners" to be announced on the 21st. I'm interested to see if there is a difference in reviews between those that got the tester skates for free and those that paid for the skates.

Ive heard good things from people who have used them.

I know one guy who raved about them, then found out he was supposed to be charging the battery after every game. That brings me back to my earlier comment:

One thing I will guarantee is that just about anyone that buys them will claim they are fantastic. Between trying to justify the price and having something "different", the reviews are pretty much a given at this point.

Putting the fit/review issue aside for a moment, let's run some numbers. $800 skate - 15% discount = $ 680 per pair X 400 "Early Adopters" = $272,000. 400 pair at $800 = $320,000, The difference is $48K on their market entry launch.

It makes it a lot easier when you don't have to cut in dealers or reps.

I don't know... To me personally they just look horrible comparing with top of the line Bauer skates, but of course looks are subjective and can be deceiving... And still the first release can't have all the issues worked out - look how long it took Bauer to progress to TOs from One90, and even then they've got a few things wrong (see my thread on durability issues).

$800 dollars on a skate that only comes in full sizes, that you have to size yourself, and that you have to bake for fit in your own kitchen oven equals NEVER for me. You can get so much more going custom through the other manufacturers.

Was talking about the skates last night on the way to the rink. To me, they look/sound exactly like Kor with little adjustable bits thrown in. MLX has some neat ideas but I don't know if the ideas are neat enough for $800, especially when you can't even see them in person.

The best thing about the site is Carcass' Rock the Vote.

Ahah, don't you know Lemieux is a metalhead? Btw, this song is such an Iron Maiden ripoff (at least before you hear the vocals)

As for the Half Sizing..how Stretchable is the boot? If it can be stretched that Half Size..then that would make sense to not run the Half Sizes. But on the flip side, with only selling direct, how many people have a Boot Stretcher at home? And what if one decided to go the Correct route and have it baked at a LHS, would you leave it in for 16 minutes?

It will be interesting to see if Big Buf(easier to type than try and spell his last name) will still be wearing his MLX skates this coming season. At the CCM skate meeting last month, the word was that he wanted to wear the new CCM skates for the playoffs but that CCM requested he didn't. Was Malkin still in them during the playoffs? Fedotenko switched out to TotalONEs, I believe.

I didn't check out the fit video. If they are saying bake for 16 minutes, I wouldn't be surprised. About 5 years ago, we had a high end carbon composite speed skate boot in our shop for service mounting the runners. The bake time on that boot was suggested at 30 minutes. So, if 16 is what it takes to get them soft to bake, how hard will they be once they set? This also helps to explain and understand all the removable parts. Could these be tanks? How heavy were KORs?