Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

trevor13478

HBO 24/7 Road to the NHL Winter Classic

I never realized how much players talk to each other on the ice...lots of "Eff you's" back and forth after a hit or whatever...not just in the big scrums just kind of in passing. HBO has done an awesome job capturing the game in this series.

They need to do more...even if it is just as a lead up to the WC each year. They can easily find enough stoylines to follwo that this would not get old. I mean how much variation can the Boxng ones have...adn they've done that more than once right?

True. I think the hope is that even though a number of folks tuned in because of the Sid/OV show that those folks will have enjoyed the inside look enough to take a flyer on the next installment.

True. I think the hope is that even though a number of folks tuned in because of the Sid/OV show that those folks will have enjoyed the inside look enough to take a flyer on the next installment.

The great thing is they tune in for Sid and Alex, and then guys like Brooks Laich and Max Talbot steal the show. And every team has a Brooks or a Max who's worth watching for. Not to mention the variety of the behind the scenes info can make any team worth watching for.

I'm surprised at how vocal the refs are during play. In my 15 years of playing competitive hockey I've never had a ref giving instructions during play more than just "keep it moving" or whatever when the puck is pinned along the boards.

The best refs are almost always the most vocal. It is a lot easier to control a game if you're constantly keeping guys honest and telling them when it has been enough and to get back in the play, etc, etc....

Believe it or not, there are some old school guys that think hockey was tougher back in the day, think Milbury. After watching HBO highlight the intensity of hitting in the Pens/Caps game along the wall, in front of the net, and open ice, the pro game is brutally physical. The one thing that has not been shown because it is off limits to the media is the trainer's room right after the game. I was in the Canucks locker room once when they were in NJ after a game. The trainer's room was completely packed with players with ice packs all over their bodies. 3 games in 4 nights, 5 in 7, I don't know how they do it. Add in checking into a hotel at 2 AM and pro hockey is a grind for 82 games playoffs.

Believe it or not, there are some old school guys that think hockey was tougher back in the day, think Milbury. After watching HBO highlight the intensity of hitting in the Pens/Caps game along the wall, in front of the net, and open ice, the pro game is brutally physical. The one thing that has not been shown because it is off limits to the media is the trainer's room right after the game. I was in the Canucks locker room once when they were in NJ after a game. The trainer's room was completely packed with players with ice packs all over their bodies. 3 games in 4 nights, 5 in 7, I don't know how they do it. Add in checking into a hotel at 2 AM and pro hockey is a grind for 82 games playoffs.

People have the nerve to say Football is the toughest sport. I don't care what anyone says, NFL players are total fairies compared to NHL players.

The great thing is they tune in for Sid and Alex, and then guys like Brooks Laich and Max Talbot steal the show. And every team has a Brooks or a Max who's worth watching for. Not to mention the variety of the behind the scenes info can make any team worth watching for.

Love Brooks and Talbot. This game really gave the fans a lot of aspects about what can go on with a game such as the delay of game penalty on michalek discussion and what goes on with the video reviews. I'm really surprised how much the refs lat go. I was surprised Ovi didn't get an unsportsmanlike when he called Kelly Sutherland a piece of shit after his tripping call.

Just watched Episode 3 online... LOVE HBO's music selection in it :D:D

Welcome to the Black Parade - My Chemical Romance (Canes vs Caps)

Pray Tell - Anberlin (Pens vs Caps)

Like most here, I think this series is great. My wife likes hockey in general, but mostly just in person. She wont watch on tv and definitely doesnt follow the professional game. But, after I was telling her about the first two episodes she sat down and watched both of them with me again. Last night we were in Pittsburgh for a concert and afterwards the replay of Part 3 was on at our hotel. She put down her Kindle and watched it with me and actively asked questions throughout.

This is the type of thing that the NHL (and HBO) are hoping to have happen. It attracts the very casual fan to the game again and hopefully will attract new ones by word of mouth.

Exactly.

I was surprised by how much the refs let the players dress them down. Sid absolutely lit that one ref up and he didn't blink.

At the NHL point in your career as a ref you've heard so much you pretty much just tune it out.

i might have links to episode 3 :wink:

Episode 3 :http://www.youtube.com/user/247NHL#p/c/0E11B9DF7724E2E1/0/_4g3DpAwqc4

Eric Fehr's wife? WOWWWWW.

came here just to post that, lol. she's a nurse too.

Love Brooks and Talbot. This game really gave the fans a lot of aspects about what can go on with a game such as the delay of game penalty on michalek discussion and what goes on with the video reviews. I'm really surprised how much the refs lat go. I was surprised Ovi didn't get an unsportsmanlike when he called Kelly Sutherland a piece of shit after his tripping call.

to be fair, that call was bogus.

Eric Fehr's wife? WOWWWWW.

I think the girl next to Backstrom at his Xmas party was better. Regardless, both of them are daaaaaaaaaaayuuumm.

People have the nerve to say Football is the toughest sport. I don't care what anyone says, NFL players are total fairies compared to NHL players.

Let's not go overboard here, the NFL is a brutal league as well. Their training room is full of just as many beat up guys as an NHL room.

I think the girl next to Backstrom at his Xmas party was better. Regardless, both of them are daaaaaaaaaaayuuumm.

Girl next to Backstrom was nothing compared to Fehr's wife ;)