Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jrhky36

Gas prices

My statement was not saying that all euro cars are fiats or smart cars. My statement is that here in the states if you want good mileage you have to buy a small car. I do not fit in many of them! My head hits the roof! My complaint is that they need to release the same motors that are available over in Europe here. There is a turbo diesel that Land Rover has been using that gets 30 mpg on the freeway that is powerful enough to be in a full size f-150! Why do we still have the 14 mpg motor in Land Rovers and the Ford F150? Instead they give us the eco-boost v6 that gets 21 mpg! Volvo just came out with a turbo diesel hybrid that can get 100 mpg. They will be releasing the gas version in the states that gets 40 mpg! It is ridiculous that the rest of the world gets the same vehicles with better mileage! I understand they pay more per liter or gallon but come on! Let us have the technology as well!

Actually, many of the upcoming emissions limits effectively rule out the diesel powerplants used in Europe

Actually, many of the upcoming emissions limits effectively rule out the diesel powerplants used in Europe

Exactly, in general diesels may get better mileage but have far worse emissions then lower MPG gasoline engines. Personally i rather have a cleaner burning engine, but for people that only care about their wallets this could be a problem.

True but the new Diesels that are passing the strict standards and being sold in the states like Volkswagens TDI are considered cleaner burning than many new vehicles but not quite as good as a hybrid. If (there are people who have gotten 55 mpg in the tdi golf) you are getting twice the mileage per gallon burnt and you are getting the same emissions wouldn't that be better all the way around?

Obviously we need alternative fuels but if they are not going to give them to us, at least give us good gas mileage.

Exactly, in general diesels may get better mileage but have far worse emissions then lower MPG gasoline engines. Personally i rather have a cleaner burning engine, but for people that only care about their wallets this could be a problem.

This is true for older technology. Not as much for newer technology. Plus there is the option of Bio-Diesel.

https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=206986242658504

Not buying gas really isn't an option, but why wouldn't something like this work as a way to protest the price of gas. Buy from smaller, independent gas stations and not from the "Big 3" (or whatever).

I plan to avoid our big companies and try to support the smaller places instead. Who knows...at the very least, I'm helping keep a small business in business.

https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=206986242658504

Not buying gas really isn't an option, but why wouldn't something like this work as a way to protest the price of gas. Buy from smaller, independent gas stations and not from the "Big 3" (or whatever).

I plan to avoid our big companies and try to support the smaller places instead. Who knows...at the very least, I'm helping keep a small business in business.

I think something like that would 100% work. The problem though is getting a high percentage of consumers to actually participate.

We have every right to complain about gas prices regardless of the car you drive for the fact that there is no good reason why the prices are going up in the first place. We cannot change our culture to that of Europe's with all the small cars and rail systems because our culture and infrastructure will not allow it or make it practical. Taxing gas through the roof is idiotic as you will only ruin lives by making it expensive for commuters to go to work and cripple the economy as people will be afraid or unwilling to drive and waste gas. Best thing to do is make your opinions known and pressure the gov't to decrease oil dependence and look towards new fuels.

We have every right to complain about gas prices regardless of the car you drive for the fact that there is no good reason why the prices are going up in the first place. We cannot change our culture to that of Europe's with all the small cars and rail systems because our culture and infrastructure will not allow it or make it practical. Taxing gas through the roof is idiotic as you will only ruin lives by making it expensive for commuters to go to work and cripple the economy as people will be afraid or unwilling to drive and waste gas. Best thing to do is make your opinions known and pressure the gov't to decrease oil dependence and look towards new fuels.

You are 100% on this.I read something recently that said people aren't cutting back on gas consumption, they are cutting back elsewhere to make up for the money lost to gas prices. Less spending on meals out, sports/entertainment activities.

Gas was $0-.99-1.00 this time last year...now it's %1.30??? I know my pay didn't increase by 30%...so where do you find the money to pay for something you really can't do without.

At least in Canada we are in an Election, so we have some power and can force some real change...oh wait...apparently we can't.

Paid $4.30 for premium yesterday...it's getting out of hand. Thinking of trading in my car for a Ford Fusion Hybrid...would be a huge downgrade in "fun" and "looks" but a really big savings in the wallet.

when gas got really expensive a couple years ago atleast the people that i know and talk to were doing the following - car pooling, using public transportation, doing a lot more stuff locally in their neighborhood, they were still going out to eat, still buying shoes clothes w/e they just weren't driving all over town to do it.

I guess I'm just weird, but I have driven 600 miles in the last month, which is actually high for me. Typically 400-500, but I just got a new truck so its fun to drive. How do I do this? I live close to where I work (part of the reason in towns everywhere you're seeing a resurgence of downtown) I go get drunk by where i live, I eat around places where I live. I don't have a 30 minute commute, I don't go on a date to two different parts of town, i stay in the same region, I don't live outside my means. Which is what I think a lot of people do, which is why our country as a whole is in the shitter, because people live outside their means, just like how our gov't has been for the last 70 years.

If you're complaining about having to spend 100 bucks a month to fill up, well, why do you use that much gas? If its work etc I get it I'm talking about people driving suburbans with a wife and two kids who don't haul anything, or do you drive a long ways to work? Can't take a bus/rail to work? A lot of people do their errands in their gas guzzlers, which is inefficient. There is a reason in europe a lot of people have small cars (move family etc cuz you don't need a 8 passenger suv if you have 2 kids, a sedan works fine) and a moped. They use their moped, which has awesome mileage, to do little shit they don't need a car for. Seriously if you hate the price look into a moped to do your errands where you dont need a car.

Paid $4.30 for premium yesterday...it's getting out of hand. Thinking of trading in my car for a Ford Fusion Hybrid...would be a huge downgrade in "fun" and "looks" but a really big savings in the wallet.

Not when the hybrid system craps out and your left with a large replacement bill.

They use their moped, which has awesome mileage, to do little shit they don't need a car for. Seriously if you hate the price look into a moped to do your errands where you dont need a car.

For most people, it would not be cost effective to drop almost a grand on a moped, then get the license needed to drive one, and incorporate the risks involved in driving one. Fact is not everywhere in the US can be like where you live with everything close. How many times have we heard people on this forum state that their nearest LHS is over 50 miles away? From my understading, most of the midwest and central US is spaced out and requires distance driving to get things they need. Also, a nice economical car may be great for gas mileage but how is it when it snows over a foot per snow constantly in the winter? Some people need those "gas guzzling" trucks to power through snow to get to work to earn a living and can;t adfford more than 1 vehicle and must choose the truck for its versatility. What I am trying to say is, what might work for one person may not work for another. We cannot judge someone by the car they drive simply because they drive a car that gets 10mpg, you never know why they might need it.

BTW, I am not saying that there aren't those idiots who drive huge trucks for fun, I live on Staten Island. Its all city driving and all the fist pumpers drive Escalades and Hummers to travel 3 miles at a time.

you have to care about both, but the other dude is right, we get the shaft when it comes to good mileage cars, and the bigger problem is that most people keep their crappy cars, and just keep riding them around smoking up the environment, shame that cash or trade in for clunkers isnt around

For most people, it would not be cost effective to drop almost a grand on a moped, then get the license needed to drive one, and incorporate the risks involved in driving one. Fact is not everywhere in the US can be like where you live with everything close. How many times have we heard people on this forum state that their nearest LHS is over 50 miles away? From my understading, most of the midwest and central US is spaced out and requires distance driving to get things they need. Also, a nice economical car may be great for gas mileage but how is it when it snows over a foot per snow constantly in the winter? Some people need those "gas guzzling" trucks to power through snow to get to work to earn a living and can;t adfford more than 1 vehicle and must choose the truck for its versatility. What I am trying to say is, what might work for one person may not work for another. We cannot judge someone by the car they drive simply because they drive a car that gets 10mpg, you never know why they might need it.

BTW, I am not saying that there aren't those idiots who drive huge trucks for fun, I live on Staten Island. Its all city driving and all the fist pumpers drive Escalades and Hummers to travel 3 miles at a time.

I'm dead in the heartland. What I'm getting at though, is for six months or more of the year for a lot of Americans is they have nice weather. Do thy need their versatile vehicle then? No. Let's say gas is 5 bucks a gallon. I drive 500 miles a month, on my moped I spent 25 bucks in gas. On my truck, I spent 150 (16 mpg) on gas. That's a savings of 125. Times that by even four months, and that's 500 bucks. Two years of the moped and I saved enough money in gas to buy it. And that is if you only drive it 500 miles a month for four months

when gas got really expensive a couple years ago atleast the people that i know and talk to were doing the following - car pooling, using public transportation, doing a lot more stuff locally in their neighborhood, they were still going out to eat, still buying shoes clothes w/e they just weren't driving all over town to do it.

I guess I'm just weird, but I have driven 600 miles in the last month, which is actually high for me. Typically 400-500, but I just got a new truck so its fun to drive. How do I do this? I live close to where I work (part of the reason in towns everywhere you're seeing a resurgence of downtown) I go get drunk by where i live, I eat around places where I live. I don't have a 30 minute commute, I don't go on a date to two different parts of town, i stay in the same region, I don't live outside my means. Which is what I think a lot of people do, which is why our country as a whole is in the shitter, because people live outside their means, just like how our gov't has been for the last 70 years.

If you're complaining about having to spend 100 bucks a month to fill up, well, why do you use that much gas? If its work etc I get it I'm talking about people driving suburbans with a wife and two kids who don't haul anything, or do you drive a long ways to work? Can't take a bus/rail to work? A lot of people do their errands in their gas guzzlers, which is inefficient. There is a reason in europe a lot of people have small cars (move family etc cuz you don't need a 8 passenger suv if you have 2 kids, a sedan works fine) and a moped. They use their moped, which has awesome mileage, to do little shit they don't need a car for. Seriously if you hate the price look into a moped to do your errands where you dont need a car.

First, hooray for you. Now, for the rest, almost all folks do their dining and drinking close to home so you're not coming up with any earth shattering discovery there. Second, a lot of people have long commutes that they cannot do anything about. Because of my schedule and the lack of folks in my office who live in my area, carpooling is not an option. Also, there isn't a public transportation option between where I live and where I work. People in Europe have small cars and mopeds because that is all many of their city streets can realistically support and there are legitimate space issues in many of those same cities. A lot easier to park a moped than a car. Trust me, they didn't come up with the idea to save gas. As for mom taking a "gas guzzler" to do her errands, she can't leave the little ones at home and it is always fun to watch a mom try to fit two car seats and a week's worth of groceries into a Corolla. How many vehicles do you expect the middle class family to own, anyway? Not to mention, a family of four is often doing plenty of driving with more than just their family. Somebody has to drive the soccer team to the game on Saturday.

I'm dead in the heartland. What I'm getting at though, is for six months or more of the year for a lot of Americans is they have nice weather. Do thy need their versatile vehicle then? No. Let's say gas is 5 bucks a gallon. I drive 500 miles a month, on my moped I spent 25 bucks in gas. On my truck, I spent 150 (16 mpg) on gas. That's a savings of 125. Times that by even four months, and that's 500 bucks. Two years of the moped and I saved enough money in gas to buy it. And that is if you only drive it 500 miles a month for four months

That a major assumption that gas will go to 5 dollars and stay that high for long periods of time. The price of gas is unpredictable and unstable and your savings analysis does not account for the variables of price change as well as the costs of getting a motorcycles license (if you need one), insurance and registration of the moped, maintenance, the upfront cost to purchase, and other costs associated with having another vehicle. Also, there are many limitations to driving a moped over a car which include but are not limited to weather (would you really travel on a moped to a business meeting in the rain or 100 degree heat, no), safety (I got hit standing at a red light by a Tacoma goin 40-50 mph in my car, I would be dead if I was on a moped), and driving restrictions (would you drive a moped on the Merit parkway to I95, I hope not).

Fact is, a moped is not a practical means to save a few bucks on gas. If it works for you, great stuff. However, for the other 99% of Americans, its not a feasible alternative.

Pffffttt its 1.39/ltr gbp in england, which equates to roughly $8.25 a gallon.

You've got mass transit. There's nearly none of that in the US, which is pathetic.

Two things are driving this, a weak dollar and greedy speculators. We can easily remedy the second part of that if we have any stones but the solution to the first part is a lot more complex and involves improving our debt and trade deficit situations very soon.

You've got mass transit. There's nearly none of that in the US, which is pathetic.

Two things are driving this, a weak dollar and greedy speculators. We can easily remedy the second part of that if we have any stones but the solution to the first part is a lot more complex and involves improving our debt and trade deficit situations very soon.

Forgive my ignorance, what do you mean by mass transport? Like a train network etc.?

only london iirc has subway. only a few major cities have subway. most of europe is rail from major city to major city, plus lite rail from smaller town to smaller town. but for the small villas they rely on bus to get to a rail center then go from there. to go around town most are in mopeds and small petite cars.. or walk. the ones who drive big vehicles are those who got money to burn and people who use them. Guess what guys, it snows all over europe too, but they don't need big suvs to get around.

why is gas in europe twice as much as it in the US? Taxes. Sounds stupid but if we are to get serious on a sustainable and efficient mode of transportation, we need to slowly increase the tax on gas, and build rail infrastructure all across america. more or less it hasn't been touched since WW1. If we also stepped up and built the infrastructure, prices on good will go down, because we wont have to pay for one (1) truck to travel 1500 miles to drop off 60 pallets of goods, plus pay for his time and for the company and for the maintenance etc.

axxion,

I'm not trying to argue that a moped will work for everyone, but, that or a small car is what really, when you are honest with yourself, a vast majority of us "need". And 5 bucks a gas? We'll be there sustained within a couple of years. We already get it dirt cheap as everyone else.. not going to stay like that forever.

chippa,

Why do you need to commute a long distance though? Why can't you move closer to your work? For me I live 5 minute drive within my work, half hour walk. There is no public transport for me either, but for me that is okay cuz it doesn't matter since I'm so close. When I worked downtown, there is a shuttle a mile from my house (i could walk or drive to such said shuttle) and it takes me downtown, where I would walk to work from there. This was when gas was barely 2 bucks a gallon... I literally only saved 2 dollars in gas, but saved 9 in parking so that's why I did it. My employer paid for the shuttle fees for me so I saved 11 bucks a day doing that, so I essentially got to eat lunch and dinner for free while down there.

In historic europe regions that is all alot can handle, but any new development (since WW2) is just like suburbia usa, which could easily handle 3 fullsize SUVs across the street. The reason a lot of them only drive mopeds or small vehicles, is because that is all they need to drive. I'm sorry I guess I'm just not excessive, but, when I had a pos small sedan while watching my two nephews we would go the grocery store, I would drop 200 bucks (more than a weeks groceries for my family) and have the front seat full and the trunk and be just fine. So since a mom has a couple kids and can't leave them alone for an hour, she NEEDS to drive a explorer? So she can take them to soccer practice and fit the kids and groceries in the car? For soccer practice you can fit 4 kids and yourself in a sedan. I know I think different then all of my friends but to me that makes no sense. Wait to get groceries, don't get as much groceries, dump the kids off at grandmas house or a friend or whatever. I understand what works in my life doesn't work in others, but, I just find a lot of what people deem "necessary" to really just be "an excessive luxury". Which I am fine with if they can afford it, but when a lot of people can't afford such said luxuries that's what gets to me. So many people are in debt in this country it is ridiculous, and that's a portion of the reason why this country is in debt itself, which ends up hurting me.

Also if everyone drove a more fuel efficient vehicle and did their part to conserve resources, the cost of such resources will drop, thus making our economy stronger because we can blow it at a mall or LHS ;) So yeah apparently I'm in the minority here, I just feel like people can't bitch about gas prices because there are alternatives that you can use, however the reason we as a country (generalizing most of us but its the truth) don't use mass transportation, more fuel efficient cars, carpool, walk to somewhere etc is not because it isn't available (also generalizing, i know some don't have this option) is because we are lazy people. We want to go from garage and not move our body or get out in the weather until were at our destination, then we'll walk a couple feet then we are there.