Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jason Harris

Boston Bruins: 2011-2012

Was Blake Wheeler pumped last night or what?

I really like the Bruins, but I have to say, I *love* watching Winnipeg win games.

Just a little.

Sloppy, this sums up there play recently. I had heard that they had hoped to make a move before there road trip. With Peverly's injury & there lack luster play I would think Chiarelli is working the phones aggressively.

If Blake Wheeler had played like that as a Bruin then he would still be one.

I'm sure teams are looking to fleece the B's now that they can't seem to buy goals.

That's what I've been wondering: where have all the goals gone???

Part of it is missing Nathan Horton, since he's still tied for third in goals, but I think they're not crashing the net enough. They flung a lot of pucks at Backstrom yesterday, but it seemed like he could see most of them. And then quite a few were blocked, which indicates that the shots are coming from further away.

Sure, they made mistakes yesterday that led to goals, but overall I'd take that effort every game. They just need to play with that intensity and start finishing again. If they do that, I think they can build momentum into the playoffs.

They looked great in the third when they were playing with some desperation. Having a couple of guys skating above their pay grade seems to be hurting the production. I think Bergeron's line is getting a lot more attention with Horton and now Peverley out. Losing that balanced attack makes it a little easier to game plan for the B's right now.

I didn't think about that before, but I think you're right, Chippa. Basically, they're a one-line team at this point, which explains why that top line has stopped scoring.

It also illustrates that the difference among many of the teams isn't that great, so one bounce here or there can decide a game.

Here's hoping the Bruins can finally get back to playing a normal hockey game in Buffalo this time around. The last time they visited the Sabres they were tentative to engage too much physically and the officials were a bit trigger happy. If they can bring most of the St. Louis game to tonight's then they should do just fine.

Sidenote: I knew Oshie was strong on his skates but I had no idea the kid was that much of a freight train. I'm a bit surprised Boychuck didn't offer some knuckles to calm Oshie down a little out there.

Better effort but still not playing phsical enough.

I'm guessing they won't do anything drastic at the deadline. I think they will need to add some depth. Especially at forward. You almost have to assume Hortan won't be back & then hope Peverly will be ready for the playoffs. The bigger question if they can regain there identity in the next month. There simply not effective when they don't play physical.

I found it interesting that Ottawa was able to put identical goals behind Thomas in a somewhat unconventional manner, and I wonder whether other teams will try, or whether it will be dependent on a team's personal. Basically, Alfredsson and the Senators took advantage of Timmy's aggressiveness, by passing laterally and then shooting behind him, I know that teams have had five years to study tape on him, but that might have been the first game that I've seen a line do the same backdoor play on back-to-back shifts.

Better effort but still not playing phsical enough.

I'm guessing they won't do anything drastic at the deadline. I think they will need to add some depth. Especially at forward. You almost have to assume Hortan won't be back & then hope Peverly will be ready for the playoffs. The bigger question if they can regain there identity in the next month. There simply not effective when they don't play physical.

To me it seems like they're afraid to be aggressive for fear of suspensions.

That was the fourth time the B's were shut out in February. In the Minnesota game, I recall Backstrom making some great saves, but in the other three, it never seemed like they were close to scoring. I said it earlier, but I think they need to get more traffic in front of the net, because opposing goalies aren't having to work too hard.

However, I'm not going to say the sky is falling, because maybe good health is all that will be needed to fix the offense.

It isn't falling but the clouds are definitely hanging low. Right now the bottom lines aren't chipping in and that is what made them go so much last season. Injuries I'm sure are a part of the problem as you've almost got 2 fourth lines right now and Julien doesn't like to ride the call-ups much putting a little more strain on the rest of the forward lines.

I still think a big part of there lackluster play is that they haven't played with that physical edge they had in November & December. This is how they looked most of October.

I give them a few weeks to get a little healthier & for the new guys to get acclimated to the team. They have one month to get things in order before the playoffs.

Worst part of the schedule to have to ride Thomas alone. Too many games with too few days off. Maybe they'll accept a 4th/5th slot and give Khudobin some games just to keep Thomas a hair fresher for the second season. I think Hutchinson was recalled just to open the gate today while Khudobin gets the nod down in the "A". Khudobin does have some NHL games under his belt from his time in Minn.

I just don't know about this team. They outplayed the Rangers and just gave up a goal on literally every mistake. The defense is falling apart.

As poor a result as yesterday's game was, it actually left me encouraged, because if you look at the B's results this year, they've played well against the better teams. Sure, there were defensive lapses that led to goals yesterday (although I think it was a terrible call against Chara, since he didn't move his stick and it looked like it was below the player's chin, yet the Rangers scored a goal during the scramble after the penalty), but they outplayed the Rangers overall.

The B's almost remind me of the C's from 2010, who coasted through the regular season before bearing down in the second season.

As poor a result as yesterday's game was, it actually left me encouraged, because if you look at the B's results this year, they've played well against the better teams. Sure, there were defensive lapses that led to goals yesterday (although I think it was a terrible call against Chara, since he didn't move his stick and it looked like it was below the player's chin, yet the Rangers scored a goal during the scramble after the penalty), but they outplayed the Rangers overall.

The B's almost remind me of the C's from 2010, who coasted through the regular season before bearing down in the second season.

I hope your right about that.

It's not like they have had a ton of injuries they just need to find more consistency. Like chippa said your not gonna beat any top team if your giving goals away. If Thomas can find his game then they will be alright. If that game was played in November The Bruins would have won. Thomas would have had a couple of those.

When Ference is healthy I hope Corvo gets bounced out of the lineup.

http://bruins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=620697

Bruins sign Marty Turco.

I guess Rask is hurt worse than almost anyone thought.

.Didn't see the Turco signing coming. I think it's going to be torn MCL/ACL for Rask. Hope it's just a sprian, but the way he went down didn't look good at all. Gotta feel bad for the kid.

I hope your right about that.

It's not like they have had a ton of injuries they just need to find more consistency. Like chippa said your not gonna beat any top team if your giving goals away. If Thomas can find his game then they will be alright. If that game was played in November The Bruins would have won. Thomas would have had a couple of those.

When Ference is healthy I hope Corvo gets bounced out of the lineup..

I hope I'm right, too!

The big fear is the history of sports has shown a lot of teams have tried pacing themselves through the regular season, then still couldn't find the right motivation in the playoffs, but what encourages me is the B's seem to pick up their intensity against better opponents, so I think we will see them playing better come the playoffs.

Of course, Rask's injury could be a huge blow if Julien feels compelled to overplay Thomas. I think this team is good enough to beat any team in any arena when they are playing their best game -- although Lundquist might be in their heads slightly -- so I'd rather see them giving Timmy the rest he needs to be sharp for the playoffs, versus jockeying for home ice advantage.

Khudobin would have been recalled but apparently he is nursing a wrist injury and wouldn't be available until this weekend at the earliest.

From the way Rask went down and how he was reaching I figured it was going to be a groin/abdomen injury and he was done for at least a little while. Good thing Turco went overseas a little while ago. The downside is that because he was acquired by the Bruins after the deadline, Turco is ineligible for the playoffs so if Rask's injury lingers, which is often the case with those kind of injuries, then the B's could head into the playoffs praying that nothing happens to Thomas.

As lethargic as they've been, it's still amazing to think that those were their first back-to-back wins in two months. At the same time, I thought Timmy looked the best he had in quite a while, so maybe being just good to very good, versus great, is why he hasn't been able to bail them out of defensive miscues over the past third of the season